O'Meara - who wants him?

Would you take O'Meara in the draft/PSD even though he's nominated Hawthorn?

• Yes

Votes: 136 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 60 30.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not saying it would happen but it would be funny if it did. Agree with your thoughts about St. Kilda being in the hunt, they've got the money to play with but majority of the 9 Melbourne based clubs (not including Geelong) would be lacking in there tasks as recruiters if they didn't inquire.

My opinion is he is shafting the Suns pretty hard considering that the club have supported him enormously and invested a lot of time and resources into him while he hasn't played a game of AFL for basically 2 years.

That's unfair.

Calling the Suns a club I mean.

He deserves a chance to play for an AFL club, you people are harsh. Next you'll hope he goes to Richmond.

Not saying it would happen but it would be funny if it did. Agree with your thoughts about St. Kilda being in the hunt, they've got the money to play with but majority of the 9 Melbourne based clubs (not including Geelong) would be lacking in there tasks as recruiters if they didn't inquire.

My opinion is he is shafting the Suns pretty hard considering that the *franchise* have supported him enormously and invested a lot of time and resources into him while he hasn't played a game of AFL for basically 2 years.

EFA :thumbsu:

Jom just like any footballer can go ply his trade anywhere he wants. GC along with the afl know which club this is. Let's just say that if its saints then the 'faux - uproar' will subside! Lot of people are s**t worried that its 'another' club .;)

Jom just like any footballer can go ply his trade anywhere he wants. GC along with the afl know which club this is. Let's just say that if its saints then the 'faux - uproar' will subside! Lot of people are s**t worried that its 'another' club .;)

by this post you wouldn't be!

I think the Saints would be mad to throw top $ at a guy who's been on the injury list for so long. If they've got A-grade money they would probably want to spend it on an A-Grader, not a potential nothing.

A big contract to a dud (because of injury, poor performance or both) would cripple a club on the up like the Saints

I think the Saints would be mad to throw top $ at a guy who's been on the injury list for so long. If they've got A-grade money they would probably want to spend it on an A-Grader, not a potential nothing.

A big contract to a dud (because of injury, poor performance or both) would cripple a club on the up like the Saints

Its a tough decision because of the injury and the upside he can recover. I would hate to be the bloke who made the decision to pass on him only for him to get fit and become the star he was destined to be....I would also hate to be the bloke who forks out early picks only for the injury to never heal.

As a saints supporter the thought of a fit O'Meara along with Jake Carlisle coming into our side next year is exciting but....as above!

That's not completely true. The system was designed to spread the talent across all the clubs

Its a tough decision because of the injury and the upside he can recover. I would hate to be the bloke who made the decision to pass on him only for him to get fit and become the star he was destined to be....I would also hate to be the bloke who forks out early picks only for the injury to never heal.

As a saints supporter the thought of a fit O'Meara along with Jake Carlisle coming into our side next year is exciting but....as above!
Whoever gets him will be the winner. Don't believe all you read.

not at GC's asking price. but he'd have to be worth risking a midrange first round plus a decent player - we have a lot of small forwards available that look likely to carve out decent careers.
bit of a worry though, having used up this years second rounder on another injury punt in freeman. if both came on as hoped we'd be ecstatic. if neither then we've hurt ourselves a lot.

Judging from Richo's press conference after yesterdays game, I definitely think we want him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want(ed) him, but not expensive AND coming of two years playing no footy (at AFL level)...

Freo would've been in a very, very strong position to make a play for O'Meara and could've done much worse. You're in greater need of mids and have more cap space than WC I'd imagine (given the relative strength of both teams ATM), so with the lure of home you'd be in a better place to secure him. Provided they can all get on the park, Neale, Fyfe, Bennell and O'Meara is quite a formidable (hypothetical) midfield.

Spoken like a truly arrogant Hawks supporter :thumbsu:

Let's see how the Hawks list holds up over the next few years as the Hawks stars (and absolute legends such as Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne, Lewis) retire. Will be kinda like the Aussie cricket team when Warne etc moved on.

Must be said that South Africa are currently doing their best to emulate them (and the Windies post-Marshall, Garner, Holding, Richards, etc).

Naaaahhhhhh, we have our own player struggling to overcome tendinitis, we don't need another.

The only thing O'Meara 'owes' Gold Coast is in terms of what his contract has been to this point. Injury rehab would be covered by insurances. There's every chance he was paid above market value in his last 2-3 years on the list while delivering nothing for the last two (not his fault he got injured) due to the make up of Gold Coast's list so I can see why they'd be pissed off at him bailing right now.

The only thing O'Meara 'owes' Gold Coast is in terms of what his contract has been to this point. Injury rehab would be covered by insurances. There's every chance he was paid above market value in his last 2-3 years on the list while delivering nothing for the last two (not his fault he got injured) due to the make up of Gold Coast's list so I can see why they'd be pissed off at him bailing right now.
Meh, footy players have to look after their best interests just as clubs look after their own.

They had no issues sacking Maverick Weller.

Meh, footy players have to look after their best interests just as clubs look after their own.

They had no issues sacking Maverick Weller.

I don't disagree, but I can see why GC would be annoyed.

Footy is a funny game. In most sports in Australia and the rest of the world someone like O'Meara would just sign for another club he wants to play for and that would be that. In the AFL we have this weird notion that a kid you draft at 18 should stay with the club forever and if they don't you should get something for them.

Freo would've been in a very, very strong position to make a play for O'Meara and could've done much worse. You're in greater need of mids and have more cap space than WC I'd imagine (given the relative strength of both teams ATM), so with the lure of home you'd be in a better place to secure him. Provided they can all get on the park, Neale, Fyfe, Bennell and O'Meara is quite a formidable (hypothetical) midfield.
Cap space is not the problem, but trade value. And we need rucks, key forwards and running defenders more somehow. So many holes in our list.

Freo have Fyfe (25) and Neale (23), plus a few kids who showed a bit this year. That cupboard isn't bare.

Key position stocks consist of Pearce who looks good but broke his leg... Taberner? Apeness? Collins looks OK and is 22. He might turn out a decent player.

They'd be dumb to say 'no' to O'Meara if he was interested but he doesn't fill a pressing area of need.

Naaaahhhhhh, we have our own player struggling to overcome tendinitis, we don't need another.

I hope we don't get involved. Terrific player, however, not prepared to take such a high risk on him. We just can't afford it. Failing to play for 2 years now, and the injury seems to be still troubling him. Pass.

Back