Roast On-field leadership

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
nah what annoys me most about larkey isn't larkey at all. it's that the coach throws him to the sharks week after week after week by leaving him minimum 2 on 1 but often 3 on 1 or 4 on 1 because of the dogshit forward structure and turgid ball movement that he coaches

tell ya what, if i was one of the best young KPFs in the league last year i'd be pissed at that situation too

All valid. He's not a #1 key forward. But Larkey needs to look at what he could do better too. Just because you are being asked to do more than your capable of, you can't lose your feet in every contested situation you find yourself in. You can't have one effort in you and then if it goes against you offer nothing.

Yes, he's getting burnt by the structure, but if you keep looking outward to be better, you'll never improve.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All valid. He's not a #1 key forward. But Larkey needs to look at what he could do better too. Just because you are being asked to do more than your capable of, you can't lose your feet in every contested situation you find yourself in. You can't have one effort in you and then if it goes against you offer nothing.

Yes, he's getting burnt by the structure, but if you keep looking outward to be better, you'll never improve.
he's on a hiding to nothing and gets judged ridiculously harshly playing in what is probably the hardest position in a team playing the way we are

he loses his feet because the oppo can jostle and bump and block all they like without worrying about the footy because they know they've got 1 or 2 or 3 players in support to crash the pack themselves or take intercept marks.

you only to need to watch his repeat running and willingness to chase even though it's not necessarily his bag to see the effort he's putting in. frankly, it pisses me off that people say it's an effort thing or whatever. imo that couldn't be further from the ******* truth

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
he's on a hiding to nothing and gets judged ridiculously harshly playing in what is probably the hardest position in a team playing the way we are

he loses his feet because the oppo can jostle and bump and block all they like without worrying about the footy because they know they've got 1 or 2 or 3 players in support to crash the pack themselves or take intercept marks.

you only to need to watch his repeat running and willingness to chase even though it's not necessarily his bag to see the effort he's putting in. frankly, it pisses me off that people say it's an effort thing or whatever. imo that couldn't be further from the ******* truth

Nah. He needs to bulk up a bit and be more aggressive. Again, nothing you say is wrong, but to say it's all on everyone else is as wrong as saying it's all on him. Back to on-field leadership, Nick doesn't show enough yet.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm a bit half and half on Larkey. I think the effort is definitely there (he's had some great chases and tackles tbh) but he just concedes the marking contest a bit too easily sometimes and that leads to him either trying to get out the back or seemingly allowing the defenders to work him under or to the side of the ball more easily than they really should. Hard to blame him too much considering just how often he's fighting multiple opponents, but I think he could definitely work more efficiently, especially when it comes to making hard running leads (a skill that seems to have compltely gone by the wayside for the entire squad).

As for his leadership qualities I don't know. Shows his frustrations a lot and goes a bit over the top with them sometimes. That does mean he's passionate and cares though, so my hope is that once the structure and personnel down there is better he can flourish and start to really own and direct the forward line.

On field leadership has been a perennial weakness at Arden Street for about 20 years.

This year it's really being highlighted.

Until it's turned around young players are going to struggle and we're going to be prone to crack when the pressure is applied.

For a long time we waved a big wad of cash around looking for young shiny players to get enamoured with it and hop into our van.

Given where we are at list wise I can only assume we are paying the absolute floor of the salary cap.

We should use 2023 to pay as far over the cap as we can and pick the eyes out of free agency.

If a player has:
  • Played in a flag winning (or multiple) side
  • Captained a side through multiple finals
  • been a senior player through multiple finals series
  • fills a clear list hole (McStay, Pearce etc)
  • has a body that is likely to stand up to the rigours of footy
  • comes from a team with a clear definable system

Prioritise based on their ability to fill multiple of the above categories.

Any players who are UFA or RFA we should be splashing cash at them more than they are currently getting. pad their super. Whatever just bring some in.

On field leadership has been a perennial weakness at Arden Street for about 20 years.
Not sure I'd agree with that time frame.

Ziebell WAS a decent leader when he was at his peak.
Then moving backwards, you had guys like Higgins, Boomer, Petrie, Swallow, Simpson, and then finally the GOAT on-field leader, Glenn Archer.

I think we have had very strong on-field leadership for a majority of the last 20 years, which is what is making the current absence of it all the more noticeable.

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This exact topic is why I would have kept Tarrant.

2 years was a stretch but we have given out far worse contracts to far inferior players in recent times.

Now I know he is not the future, and is in decline, but for mine he was our best onfield leader and was always in superb physical condition.

We gave him away far, far too easily but it's done and so be it.

Last edited:

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Give Travis Boak 2 or 3 years i've read ^^?!?

He will already turn 34 in a couple of months!!!!

Sure every person has a right to their opinion but if we that i'd give up completely on what the hell we as a club are doing.

Last edited:
Leadership is an incredibly difficult thing to define. None of the posts here have captured what it is completely. I’m not claiming to be able to give you a complete definition however there was a show on RN last year that interviewed an American author who has done research into what made the greatest teams of all time from across multiple sporting codes and countries over the past 100+ years. One of the criteria was that the team had to win 4 premierships in a row, there were other criteria but I can’t remember them. Only 1 Aussie rules team made it the magpies 1927-30. To try and determine the most common traits of the most successful teams he looked at coaching, strategy, economics a whole bunch of things but guess what? There was only 1 common denominator The Captain. None of these captains were the star player, none of them were in the spotlight often, they were in the background working away communicating with all players on and off during the week, quietly going about their business of what could best be described as the glue between the players in the group. Do guys like this emerge naturally or are they pushed into it? I don’t know but I’m willing to bet there’s at least one player in our group with these natural attributes. It’s up to the rest of the group to recognise who it is and push him forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Golden state warriors for e.g purposely seeked out a strong leader from another team. He was past his best form and old. People criticised the move but they knew the experience and leadership he would bring was worth way more.

Boak etc is a great idea. Strong captains would thrive on coming over based just on their leadership qualities. They enjoy being the “man” and enjoy challenges.

I think by trading out people like Dumont and Tarrant was a mistake. Even thoggh Taz wanted oyt anyways, someone like Dumont was one of the hardest trainers at north. That’s exactly what we need. Yeah sure there stats may not be that great, but we don’t have anyone to look up to on the field.

Someone that is going to hold structure, and their influence provides confidence that they have experienced veterans that you can count on.

Should be a priority over the next few years because the young upcoming leaders are not being developed with the right winning culture atm.

Spud11

All Australian
Apr 11, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was screaming in the off-season that the Feng Shui and juju of the playing group needed a reset.

Although Jy Simpkin hasn't been stellar form all year I think we would've had a freshen up and better buy-in changing things up by appointing him captain.

I suspect Todd not being a "lad" has hurt his inclusion in leadership groups over the years. What he is - a consummate professional, elite at his craft and very intelligent and personable in his own way.

I think had he been dragged aside and TOLD by a coach that he's going to be the captain and we are looking to him to set the agenda - he'd have risen to the challenge.

A hypothetical we'll never prove however.

Todd would’ve been the best option IMO. I’ve suggested it before, been told it’s ridiculous as he’s not even in the leadership group.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
One senior player that I think North should look at for leadership qualities is Rod Lester from Brisbane. Wouldn't make him captain but he is a mature much loved player at Brisbane who has contributed greatly to Brisbane going from a basket case to a club where people want to move to play for. He would easily get a defensive spot.

He is a family man (married to Zorko's sister) so he may not want to move.

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
shame. back then he was mentally shot, dropped and worked his way back to his best and hasn't looked back. if you have been through that kind adversity you know exactly how to address it in future and turn things around. it's so much more difficult coming back from rock bottom. a great quality to have, especially in a leader.

10000 per cent mate. Just before I went through my own divorce, a mate of my who had gone through the same thing said "if you can get through a divorce, you can get through anything". Proved true. I have no doubt Goldy is in the same boat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back