On Paper - 2018: Best and Worst Defense, Midfield and Forward Lines?

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont know how you judge groups without taking into account the rest of the team, on paper or otherwise.

If the midfield, and the forward line doesn't apply pressure up the ground then any defence is very vulnerable.

Likewise any forward line is mostly useless unless the mids are getting it in the offensive 50 effectively and quickly.

Just goes to show people only remember as far as a teams lasr game.

Adelaide had the best forward line all year. They didnt perform their best on gf day, but that was mostly due to delivery, richmonds elite defense and probably the occasion.

Only thing that will change is cameron out and milera in.

I dont know how you judge groups without taking into account the rest of the team, on paper or otherwise.

If the midfield, and the forward line doesn't apply pressure up the ground then any defence is very vulnerable.

Likewise any forward line is mostly useless unless the mids are getting it in the offensive 50 effectively and quickly.
Its why the question asked was on paper not on actual performance.

Hawthorns's forward line is being massively underrated, second highest scoring team in the last 8 weeks of the year, with Cyril to come back into the side and Gunston, Sicily and Burton being able to play more minutes forward with the likes of Frawley, Birchall and Stratton coming back into the team.

Midfield
Best - Collingwood. Pendles Adams Treloar Sidebottom De Goey, could have 5 top 20 midfielders in the competition next season. Maynard Phillips Wells only going to make that midfield stronger next season. Pies never got blown out this season for a reason.
Worst - Gold Coast. Got a much higher ceiling midfield wise than other cellar dwellers like North and Carlton as Brodie, Fiorini, Bowes, Ainsworth etc. will keep developing but right now their best mid is Lyons and he hasn't got too much mature support. Also give up too easily but that will be rectified after a couple of years under Dew who will make a real impact IMO.

Really rate Geelong's midfield too because Blicavs and Scooter gives them two really unique taggers who can stop the new tall hybrid midfielder(Cripps Fyfe Bont) as well as the smaller types (Parker Sloane).
A lot of young midfields coming through, going on potential/ceiling my next least favourite has to be North Melbourne's.
Back line
Best - Richmond. Defence isn't won on paper. Rance the best help defender in the AFL which is so important nowadays. Every one of their defenders works their arse off. Simply a great system made possible by the best and most suitable defender in the current AFL.
Worst - Melbourne- Some really strong individual defenders like Hibberd and Jetta cover up a complete lack of communication and chemistry that has been exposed by North, Pies, Blues, Crows ie everyone. If I had a dollar for every defensive mistake we made I'd buy the AFL. Vince, OMac, TMac, Frost kicking out of defence is always heart in mouth stuff so adding Lever's reliable and safe kicking helps a lot. Any team that wins the midfield battle can score 100 against the Dee's.

GWS would be the next best in my eyes such a well rounded defence that can matchup on anyone.
Don't like Gold Coast's defence much either although again the development of Joyce, Leslie, KKolo, Lemmens can only help. Lions are still really young too but they will get exponentially better.

Forward line
Best - Essendon. Strong contested marking options, great small forwards. Can resort to bombing long if needed. Daniher a superstar.
Worst - Carlton. Got no idea how long it'll be before a Carlton forward kicks 40 in a season again. Need to get some legs into McKay and Kerr surely. Curnow moving into the midfield can only hurt.

Really like Adelaide's style of counterattacking but Tex plays his best outside the F50 IMO and inside fifty they have no proven tall goal threats.
Freo also has a shithouse stock of talls, Taberner Cox McCarthy Kersten are all a pretty similar type in that none can be the main forward. All require space to play in especially Taberner and McCarthy who like to run at the footy and take grabs.

I am sorry, but neither of these two are good players.

Grimes is a gun. Shuts down the best smalls each week but can play tall as well. He’s been a very good defender for a long time now.

Astbury is quality too, but he’s only come on recently, so it’s more forgivable if people haven’t caught up yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Fremantle’s midfield if fully fit gives it a shake.

Fyfe, Neale, Bennell, Mundy.

do you have eyes?
Do you overrate your players? Premiership teams still have average players. Astbury is certainly one of those. When the siren went on the final, my mate turned to me and said "Brandon Ellis and Astbury are premiership players".

Defense
Best
- Port (think everyone understands their role and works together as a unit better than anyone else, good age profile too)
Worst - Brisbane (I mean, they did win the wooden spoon.)

Midfield
Best - Richmond
(Dustin Martin factor)
Worst - Gold Coast (Lynch can't do it all by himself)

Forward
Best
- tough one here, a toss up for me between two sides. On paper, when I write the names from both sides down, I just think Port get over the line on sheer weight of talent. Dixon, Gray x2, Wingard, Watts, Motlop, Rockliff, Ryder, Marshall, Neade. Unbelievable talent roaming through those names. I'm just having some second thoughts on Adelaide after their disastrous grand final performance, who at one stage were touted as being unquestionably the best. Jenkins has shown some glaring weaknesses and Betts and Walker at times just don't turn up for the big occasions.
Worst - Western Bulldogs
and they just made it worse by getting rid of Stringer. Schache is not going to be the saviour.

Even though Geelong indisputably have the best midfield on paper. It will for some odd reason get destroyed by Collingwood and Sydneys midfields next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back