On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

Taught my sister and her husband Dead of Winter on Saturday night. Watched a couple of prep videos with them before hand to give the gist of it before we started.

My wife has the very first turn and goes to move one of her survivors, rolls the D12 for exposure - Instantly dead, a 1/12 chance, crap that's a bad intro to the game. OK, she tries the same move with her remaining survivor, dead again! How unlucky!
if she rolls like that make her your RPG gamemaster immediately.

29dc8e4b30492a0895837ff056d1127d.jpg

Oh s**t!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Forbidden Desert with some workmates. One of those games where explaining the game makes it sound much more complicated than it is ... or maybe I'm just s**t at explanations. :)

Found all the parts and 3/5 of us made it to the launchpad. Then Sun Beats Down struck with a couple of us on 0 water. :(

Forbidden Desert with some workmates. One of those games where explaining the game makes it sound much more complicated than it is ... or maybe I'm just s**t at explanations. :)

Found all the parts and 3/5 of us made it to the launchpad. Then Sun Beats Down struck with a couple of us on 0 water. :(

Always the way.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
Hi Guys,

New to this this part of BF, followed the bread-crumbs from baz_machine to get here. A group of mates and I formed a board-gaming group a few years back as a mechanism to keep in touch (a couple are old high-school mates of 30 years ago) and have an excuse to get away from the better halves. We meet roughly monthly and try out new board games and some old. Recently we've played Forbidden Stars, Spheres of Influence, Game of Thrones Risk, Blood Rage and Star Wars Imperial Assault. We also have an ongoing D&D campaign (old school 2nd edition!) Just arrived, but not played, we've got Star Trek Catan and War of the Rings. A couple of the group and very skilled painters so most miniatures get the treatment (one of the group is into Malifaux).

Anyway, thought I'd say hi and will be a keen reader here as I'm always interested in real feedback/reviews on games that I haven't tried as yet.

We're Adelaide based for those in this part of Oz.

Last edited:

Milkyjoe18

Rookie
Feb 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Played Dominion tonight. Not bad, played the intro cards so pretty basic.

Followed up with light hearted exploding kittens.

Is dominion any good? I got it from my girlfriend for Christmas but all my boardgame mates have been tied up since the beginning of the year. Is it easy to learn/teach?

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is dominion any good? I got it from my girlfriend for Christmas but all my boardgame mates have been tied up since the beginning of the year. Is it easy to learn/teach?
It's not too bad. I'm imagining different each time due to the various cards you can use. The shuffling is a bit tedious.

Was very easy for me to teach but I did watch a quick youtube clip to help with the rules before hand.

I have a friend who plays it at every opportunity. It is pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry Hook

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
"War at Sea" by Jedko, 1st edition , circa 1975, with all the original pieces and original type written rule changes.

Game was / is a bit simple, so I've added some historical scenario chance cards with other modifications to give it a more historical aspect but keep to the rules otherwise.

Great game and a throwback to more tactics and less technology.

Apr 10, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
on the weekend played Cards Against Humanity sober. Definitely better with a few Robbo's milks.
Also played Eldritch horror, had 3 players. Cthulhu was the great old one and we had a dismal failure. To go along with all my other failures playing that game (ranging from close, to screwed by the cards, to dismal). A cooperative board game makes a nice change. Played with the forsaken lore expansion. Also have strange remnants and signs of carcosa expansions but haven't used them.

on the topic of watching videos of board games I watched a youtube video of Wil Wheaton and others playing Fury of Dracula (part 1)
made me look forward to playing that and also helped seeing some of the rules interacting.

on the weekend played Cards Against Humanity sober. Definitely better with a few Robbo's milks.
Also played Eldritch horror, had 3 players. Cthulhu was the great old one and we had a dismal failure. To go along with all my other failures playing that game (ranging from close, to screwed by the cards, to dismal). A cooperative board game makes a nice change. Played with the forsaken lore expansion. Also have strange remnants and signs of carcosa expansions but haven't used them.

on the topic of watching videos of board games I watched a youtube video of Wil Wheaton and others playing Fury of Dracula (part 1)
made me look forward to playing that and also helped seeing some of the rules interacting.

Yeah Tabletop is a good series. If they play it I often buy it :)

Feb 14, 2012
2,631kms North of The G
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
NHL: Canucks
Played Lords of Rock...
Each player forms a band chosen from a Pantheon of gods (Norse, Greek, Chinese, Aztecs and Elder). Plays gigs at venues (Ephesus Temple, Atlantis etc), put together song lists, choosing from bastardised real songs... Cary On My Wayward Demigod, You Give Aphrodite a Bad Name, Saturday Night is Alright for Smiting...

The idea is to get as many souls at your gigs as possible, the Pantheon with the most souls wins.

Light fun game, need to play it a few more times though.

Apr 10, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
That was like my character in Eldritch Horror who gets to re-roll 1's. In the errata it says he can do this more than once unlike most re-rolls. I think i ended up rolling about 14 dice without a success.

watched the Betrayal video on tabletop. That looks great. Love the mechanic of not knowing whos the traitor until the haunt kicks in - and the numerous scenarios.

Love me some Betrayal at House on the Hill

How not to roll:

9fe0706f9e37ab464fb31c5960be548a.jpg

Massacre by Dracula:

0bd37eaa69341ebffdf18be45607f501.jpg

watched the Betrayal video on tabletop. That looks great. Love the mechanic of not knowing whos the traitor until the haunt kicks in - and the numerous scenarios.
The Mrs asked "Why was your friend locked in the kitchen? Was that part of the game?"

She is not a gamer.

The Mrs asked "Why was your friend locked in the kitchen? Was that part of the game?"

She is not a gamer.
If you were playing with who I think you were, there are often good reasons to lock him in the kitchen.

If you were playing with who I think you were, there are often good reasons to lock him in the kitchen.

Too late I realised that is where I keep the scotch.

Apr 10, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
was a bit disappointed with the ending of the 2nd part of the Fury of Dracula tabletop video.
it was very anti-climactic that Wil wheaton just won by maturing his card with the rumour token on it. The hunters had him locked down to spain and were about to strike. it could just be because of the anticipation of a big battle against Drac been denied.
Fury of Dracula appears to be a game that can be exciting or boring. any thoughts? Especially advice for helping the dracula player to keep it exciting (since that will be my role).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back