On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

Played a few games last weekend.
* Tiny epic galaxies. Not sold on this (or epic tiny kingdoms).
* King of New york https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160499/king-new-york was great fun - easy to play - very thematic. Loved the mechanics with the buildings and units - the more you smash the more threats (units) you create a very organic mechanicy. The last turn everyone had a chance of winning - either by getting 20 victory points or defeating everyone else. The last player to take a turn killed themselves, another player and the player in Manhattan, letting a 4th player do a Bradbury, i'd already died earlier in the turn (on 19 VP - i had the fame card where you get a VP for every star you roll and i'd tried to roll myself to victory on my turn instead of healing so i was an easy kill)
* Betrayal at House on the Hill - 4th or 5th time i've played this. Great game. Though it does really shudder to a halt when the Omen comes out and you have to read 2 pages of a scenario. Ended up exciting but some ppl had lost interest by the time the rules were explained. Next time i might just choose a simple scenario (maybe a serial killer type one)
* Played 3 games of 7 Kingdoms - that we played 3 in a row of a game most of us hadn't played before said we liked it a lot. 3 different winners.

Played a few games last weekend.
* Tiny epic galaxies. Not sold on this (or epic tiny kingdoms).
* King of New york https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160499/king-new-york was great fun - easy to play - very thematic. Loved the mechanics with the buildings and units - the more you smash the more threats (units) you create a very organic mechanicy. The last turn everyone had a chance of winning - either by getting 20 victory points or defeating everyone else. The last player to take a turn killed themselves, another player and the player in Manhattan, letting a 4th player do a Bradbury, i'd already died earlier in the turn (on 19 VP - i had the fame card where you get a VP for every star you roll and i'd tried to roll myself to victory on my turn instead of healing so i was an easy kill)
* Betrayal at House on the Hill - 4th or 5th time i've played this. Great game. Though it does really shudder to a halt when the Omen comes out and you have to read 2 pages of a scenario. Ended up exciting but some ppl had lost interest by the time the rules were explained. Next time i might just choose a simple scenario (maybe a serial killer type one)
* Played 3 games of 7 Kingdoms - that we played 3 in a row of a game most of us hadn't played before said we liked it a lot. 3 different winners.

I have King of Tokyo, I've heard King of New York is a better game - a little more complexity?

I have King of Tokyo, I've heard King of New York is a better game - a little more complexity?

I don't know all the differences but my friends who brought the game over said that buildings/units are in New York and not Tokyo. This made it more thematic and presumably complex(smashing buildings/destroying tanks and planes/getting attacked by the units) and i'm a big fan of some of the New York monsters. I was a whale in a fish bowl piloting a giant robot that was using a ship on a chain as a weapon. My friends hadn't played King of New york before, but said they liked it more. my friends did also include some of the Tokyo monsters in the game.

KingOfNewYork_3Dbox.jpg

Big one tonight...
Puerto Rico (again, love this game!) Into
No Thanks! Into
For sale. Into
Love Letter

Won Puerto Rico. The Harbour really helped. That and ensuring I made a bit of cash early on.
Won one of 3 No Thanks! Games. Didn't accumulate scores.
Won one of 2 For sale games.
Won Love Letter.

Had a few drinks and great convo. Good night.

It's a little more complex with the Boroughs of New York, the areas of Manhattan and the Tokens for units/buildings, but not greatly so. I've had for over a year, with boys then 8 and 10 who'd played plenty of Kings of Tokyo and had no issues getting the differences with King of New York from the start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you have a typical plan of attack? I can't make my mind up on which strategy is the best way to go. Typically try and get quarries and coins early and go from there.

It really depends on the other players.
Up until recently I've always gone for the building strategy - take as many of the quarries as I could early in the game and then from there - doubloons, build, doubloons, build. If you play it well you can bring-about the end of the game quite quickly by filling your city whilst your opponents are fighting-it-out for shipping space and plantations and haven't really had the chance to start scoring big points yet. You also tend to be underestimated because you're not scoring many immediate points but clean-up at game end when scoring all of your buildings.
This strategy backfired on me recently when two of my opponents went straight for the Harbour and the Wharf and kept scoring huge points whilst I was scrambling to end the game by filling my city. I came dead last.
Recently my strategy is more about focusing on earning doubloons for the first half of the game and then switching to points in the second half. I very rarely bother with Large Buildings anymore unless there's a really significant points advantage. The Wharf is often the game-decider and second to that is the Harbour.
I also focus a lot more on really trying to screw-up my opponents plans in my role choices, even if it's not as advantageous as another particular role - this has snatched me victory, especially towards the end of the game, more than a few times.

It really depends on the other players.
Up until recently I've always gone for the building strategy - take as many of the quarries as I could early in the game and then from there - doubloons, build, doubloons, build. If you play it well you can bring-about the end of the game quite quickly by filling your city whilst your opponents are fighting-it-out for shipping space and plantations and haven't really had the chance to start scoring big points yet. You also tend to be underestimated because you're not scoring many immediate points but clean-up at game end when scoring all of your buildings.
This strategy backfired on me recently when two of my opponents went straight for the Harbour and the Wharf and kept scoring huge points whilst I was scrambling to end the game by filling my city. I came dead last.
Recently my strategy is more about focusing on earning doubloons for the first half of the game and then switching to points in the second half. I very rarely bother with Large Buildings anymore unless there's a really significant points advantage. The Wharf is often the game-decider and second to that is the Harbour.
I also focus a lot more on really trying to screw-up my opponents plans in my role choices, even if it's not as advantageous as another particular role - this has snatched me victory, especially towards the end of the game, more than a few times.
Absolutely agree with the wharf and harbour being the most vital. Most times I've won I've had one of them. I'm finding a lot of the time I'm a round or two away from wanting the game to end when it ends, even though at times I've come out on top (still not confident im out in front).

After many months without getting it back to the table, the news of the upcoming Season 2 of Pandemic Legacy got us off our arses to organise continuing season 1. And what a vindicated decision. After being indifferent through to the first time through April, with four losses and only the two victories, we knocked with wins April off the second time, May the first time and June the first time. If the other two of our Pandemic Legacy group didn't live on the other side of town, I'm sure we would have tried to keep our momentum going into July.

For those that don't want to know what the board looks like, I've stuck in spoilers.
Below as were about to start the night. By the end of June we'd lost one of our research stations (Riyadh), but happy that Madrid was the only faded city outside of our Coda (Yellow) zone. We had the Researcher (me) feeding the cards to get the discoveries, Medic to clear out and keep the non-faded cities under control, the Quarantine expert, in pink below, keeping faded at bay and the Generalist for April and May, and swapped out the generalist for the Soldier in June. Worked well as a team, everyone hitting their roles. We got by the end two more mutations for the diseases (red maxed out, plus another for blue), so can see the Medic is going to be less of a benefit next time, with all effectively a medic for red. Will probably try a different role instead.

Pandemic legacy.jpg

As per the games owned / wanted thread, purchased City of Iron yesterday. So here's from the first run through today.

Firstly setting up (damn gifted tablecloth does nothing for my shots of games :oops: )

IMG_3984.JPG

Part way through. Was at round 6 when picked up doing the drawing of Citizen / Military cards incorrectly, but still had fun. A close second. Like plenty of the games my wife and I get, we're now looking forward to getting a game in with more people.

IMG_3987.JPG

pic2617644.jpg

Another fantastic evening had by all.

Totally different feel to the original scenario. Well designed to put you in a frame of mind and hold you there.

Not quite as clean as the first but still well worth the $$ and time.

Will say it's easy to try to push through this faster as you already understand the base mechanics of the game, but if you do and your attention to detail slips you will regret it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back