On the weekend I played...

speaking of those cylons, I got all my versions. Exodus was a bit of a bastard to find

i3cmc7.jpg
I still need Pegasus. Have Exodus on back order.

General Soreness

Awkward Squad
Aug 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Those who aren't afraid to print out a game and mount the counters might like to try 'Invaders from Dimension X', which is on sale for about AU$7.77 (that's what I got it for) for another 6 hours.

Introductory, low footprint, very random, sci-fi themed wargame, designed for solitaire play (but two can play). 3 scenarios, including a campaign game.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/165495/Invaders-From-Dimension-X?src=DotD&from_home=1

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/183963/invaders-dimension-x

Only 4 pages of rules and plays out in about 60-90 minutes.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm in SA, what's Concentric?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Concentric gaming convention. It's a weekend once a year, mid September for board games, RPG and table top war games (mostly the first, some of the second, not so much of the last). For $20 you get a ticket for the weekend (kids free with adults). It works by those attending bringing along games for others to play. So my wife and I brought along half a dozen of ours, that were less common. People bring everything from gateway games like Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan, through one's that have only been Kickstarters. From one's that kids can play and take 10 - 15 minutes through brain benders that take half a day or more. Games for all tastes. Plus Pathfinder / Starfinder and other RPG groups run games (they're always on the look out for new Members).

It doesn't matter if you don't have many/any games yourself to take, there's always heaps there, so those new to the hobby are welcome to get a taste. Excellent chance you'll see games you haven't played, but wanted to try out. Or just looking through all the one's find games to add to your wishlist. Getting more popular, the last couple of years tickets all sold before the day and a couple of gaming stores having mini-shops set up there as well, as well as a 'buy and sell' where you can bring your own games you want to sell for sale (10% to Concentric of a sale). A year for you to wait now, but I'd recommend any SA based board game fan to attend it.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Today's games. Kingdomino's and Cargo Noir. Cargo Noir below. A big victory over the wife, but like most of our games, now to find a chance to play with more then 2 people, as the out-bidded mechanic would crop up much more then. A really straight forward game, so will probably try and get the kids to try it out, but still want to do with more adults.

Setup.

IMG_4121.JPG

Part way through.

IMG_4122.JPG

Got my first game of Scythe in. Very nice mix of resource management, worker placement and board control mechanics and the theme is wonderful. Turns are snappy and there is enough interaction to keep everyone interested (we had a 3 player game that felt like a sweet spot).

My only criticism (and that is light) are that the minis are not as nice as I had been lead to believe (serviceable but not awesome).

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne
pic2556921_t.jpg

A new addition and a nice one at that.

Played a normal base game from the box and was really impressed.

Then downloaded the print and play of the expansion from the kickstarter page and had a crack with that too.

Lots of sweet agonising choices and great dice manipulation. This will be getting many more plays in the near future.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The second attempt at September in Pandemic Legacy. And the only thing that went right was we played it over desserts at Gellatisimo at Glenelg Saturday night and they’ve a sugar free chocolate icecream I could have without going out of LCHF. As for the game ....
Well we found the paranoid soldier this time. Gee, thanks for that. That wasn’t the worst of it though. We went from having only one faded city outside our original yellow to cluster******* multiple outbreaks round Atlanta and Chicago to now barely having any blue cities that also aren’t faded. Before September we had one collapsing city and no fallen, now a couple of fallen and multiple collapsing. Needless to say we scored no wins for the month. Worst month so far, by a big margin, on how we’ve done.

Last edited:

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne
pic3510831_t.jpg

Least favorite of the bunch so far. Maybe we just got lucky but it seemed to quick and easy for me. Started with a wonderful concept but didn't deliver from there on :(

so with extra time, back to ...

pic2556921_t.jpg

3 players with no expansion. Final scores of 28, 28, 29. Such a nicely balanced game, loving it.

Last edited:

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To finish the weekend off we got a play in of ...

pic2468179_t.jpg

Had heard the intent of this game was to imitate the feeling and stress of playing a sealed MTG tournament.

Boy did it deliver in spades!!! Was mentally fried by the end of it, sooooooo many cards, so many options, so little time.

For anyone who has ever played and enjoyed CCGs, this is well worth the time and energy.

22278862_1607467659273659_953686994_n.jpg

Last edited:

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
pic2556921_t.jpg

A new addition and a nice one at that.

Played a normal base game from the box and was really impressed.

Then downloaded the print and play of the expansion from the kickstarter page and had a crack with that too.

Lots of sweet agonising choices and great dice manipulation. This will be getting many more plays in the near future.
Been intrigued by this after seeing a review a few months back. Also, just watched The Dice Tower's review, and it gets the thumbs up there too.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
First scenario of Gloomhaven complete. Interesting game but the very uneven character progression doesnt sit well. People were more focussed with getting gold and burning through their big XP earning moves than efficiently defeating the encounter.

One guy charged in to kill an Elite to complete his bonus reward thing then got pounded on meaning everyone had to waste their heal moves on him.

Its possible a loss due to selfishness will change playing style to make the win the focus and the bonuses secondary... but I suspect not.

Back