On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

Last day of hols I had a mate over from the US and we played a bunch of games.
Downforce

IMAG0658.jpg

Alhambra

IMAG0660.jpg

7 Wonders

30053C64-B074-4E30-B4E9-0A018EB5D1CB.jpeg

And the always photogenic Sagrada

IMAG0666.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have played a handful of things, both new and old, on and since Christmas Day:
- Sushi Go (a Christmas gift for my 10-yo niece; was teaching her how to play)
- Small World (played against my 13-yo niece and her dad, neither who'd played before)
- Dead of Winter (bought myself this over 2 years ago and had never gotten to play it; loved it)
- Ticket to Ride Europe (finally got the W over my housemate)
- Roll For It (saw this on a Tabletop video and thought it would a good light game for the collection)
- Kingdomino (a fellow gamer at work brought this in; quite enjoyable)

Got some people coming over on the weekend so might dust off Fortune & Glory and see how that goes down with them.

Got in another game of Dead of Winter on Saturday. I say "game" but we had lost within maybe half an hour. 3 colonists died on the first turn (a bite spread), with another couple going the same way a little later. They should have just called the exposure die 'the die of death'. Still fun though.

A good day on Saturday. A mate's annual birthday game day and much gaming and drinking.

• Spirit Island - interesting game, certainly lives up to its complexity rating and reputation for difficulty. Abandoned half way as we realised by the third rule we were playing wrong, but keen to try again.
  • Down Force - I love this game. There is something immensely satisfying about pushing little cars around a track and profiting from someone else's win.
  • Sagrada - An interesting game, that is beautiful, has a nice satisfying draft mechanic but does not punish people harshly enough for not finishing their goddamn window. You know who I'm talking about.
  • Avalon - Booze and social games both mix for hilarity and embarrassment.

A good day on Saturday. A mate's annual birthday game day and much gaming and drinking.

• Sagrada - An interesting game, that is beautiful, has a nice satisfying draft mechanic but does not punish people harshly enough for not finishing their goddamn window. You know who I'm talking about.
I think Sagrada is perfect as it is. Do not mess with it!

View attachment 611110

We caught up with our usual gaming partners Saturday to try out Brianhackr cafe (in Prospect, SA). They've a decent sized game library to check out. Similar to other board game cafe's, pay a booking fee (for 3 hours), then can get food/drink on top of that.

Since it was 3 hours we didn't get into anything too heavy. Played:
Human Era - a social deduction game. Won as the cyborg.
Geek Out! - be proud of your geekiness (though I lost :( ). Make the longest list of answers to a Geek question to win the question card. First to five wins.
5 minute dungeon - have been wanting to try this out after hearing good reviews. We all enjoyed and will be adding to the wish list.

On Sunday night I played a couple of games of Bananagrams and one of Dominion (base game) with 3 friends. I'll buy an expansion (or two) of Dominion when I feel wealthy enough, but the challenge will be gathering people to play. I don't play it as much as I'd like :(

Played Lords of Waterdeep for the first time. Finished a close 2nd, mainly through building up gold and completing a couple of quests each worth 20 points. Definitely challenging in terms of building up the right number and type of adventurers. We had the Ambassador in play early on, which had a noticeable impact.

Enjoyed it, and would play again, but unsure if I'll look to add it to my collection.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/110327/lords-waterdeep

Hail Hydra is probably a lesser-known favourite of mine, a bit similar in style to avalon with some more unknown elements to it and unpredictable.

A mate got Deception: Murder in Hong Kong recently, another deduction game - a bit of a cross between codenames and cluedo is perhaps the best description I can think of. Only played with a few people though, seems like the sort of game that would be better with a big group.

A mate got Deception: Murder in Hong Kong recently, another deduction game - a bit of a cross between codenames and cluedo is perhaps the best description I can think of. Only played with a few people though, seems like the sort of game that would be better with a big group.
I've heard it likened to Mysterium and The Resistance. I've played it once and we had about 10 people. No-one had played it before so it suffered a little from that (but I still enjoyed it). I'm not sure the bit where everyone gets 30 seconds to state their case quite works (or perhaps it was just our group). I definitely want to have another crack at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard it likened to Mysterium and The Resistance. I've played it once and we had about 10 people. No-one had played it before so it suffered a little from that (but I still enjoyed it). I'm not sure the bit where everyone gets 30 seconds to state their case quite works (or perhaps it was just our group). I definitely want to have another crack at it.
Haven’t played Mysterium but can definitely see aspects of resistance in it. During our 30 seconds when we played we mainly just used it to make accusations based on the clues given by the investigator.

Haven’t played Mysterium but can definitely see aspects of resistance in it. During our 30 seconds when we played we mainly just used it to make accusations based on the clues given by the investigator.
I think it was The Dice Tower guys who mentioned that Deception gives you something to work with from the start. With The Resistance, there's initially just random "you're a spy" accusations, without any real basis for them (and have found that to be true in the few games of it I've played).

I think it was The Dice Tower guys who mentioned that Deception gives you something to work with from the start. With The Resistance, there's initially just random "you're a spy" accusations, without any real basis for them (and have found that to be true in the few games of it I've played).
Initially yea, one could say in resistance the behaviours of the players give away the most information which is actually an aspect of deduction games that I tend to find more interesting

On Saturday went to a mates place to play Villainous, a Disney themed board game where you each play as a Disney villain and have to complete an objective. Was actually very strategic and there were about 5 occasions where someone was about to satisfy their win condition only to get sabotaged at the last turn as a result the game went for hours.

Also played Avalon, had a brilliant performance where I was mordred and was able to control the narrative the entire game without suspicion. The Merlin even picked the team under my advice on the deciding mission. Threw my teammates under the bus which is always fun.

Had a go at One Week Ultimate Werewolf, an extension of One Night Ultimate Werewolf. The capacity to play several actions and actually have a choice of action is an interesting extension. As is the concept of different rooms that carry different effects and the ability to move between rooms each day. It did drag out a bit over 5 phases though.

Got a few new games to play this Saturday night.

Dig, arrived in the post yesterday. My first kickstarter purchase. Looks good, simple push your luck mechanics.
Five Tribes, friend who is getting into games bought it and wants to give it a go.
On Tour, roll & write, good game.
Thanos Rising, in prep for Endgame.

A return to my traditional Good Friday Games.

Had 8 people so we were getting big games on the table. The 8th arrived late so we got 7 Wonders played, (ahem, winner is me on 61 points) then I switched out to cook lunch and the others played.

74B13470-8892-4504-8AEE-C4A9C7A0E7FA.jpeg

Got For Sale on the table for the first time - great game.

The Resistance: Avalon is really hard to win as Good with 8 players - my guess is you need the other optional characters.

Wizard - a German card game. Trick-taking with a twist.

653A81C6-CD55-47BA-93E3-8C256391162F.jpeg

Then Blood Rage - we all ended on around 125 points - about 10 points separating first and last.

5AF23CF7-57B7-4272-863F-E1D523758D91.jpeg

Bought Star Wars: Rebellion.
First game took us 7 hours. Both of us are prone to a bit of AP, but we both had a heap of fun.
2nd game was much quicker, 4 hours.

Next game on my list to get is War of the ring.

Rebellion is great, very thematic. Keep an eye out for Star Wars Outer Rim.

War of the Ring is really good but heavy-ish so allow plenty of time for your first few play throughs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A return to my traditional Good Friday Games.

Had 8 people so we were getting big games on the table. The 8th arrived late so we got 7 Wonders played, (ahem, winner is me on 61 points) then I switched out to cook lunch and the others played.

View attachment 658340

Got For Sale on the table for the first time - great game.

The Resistance: Avalon is really hard to win as Good with 8 players - my guess is you need the other optional characters.

Wizard - a German card game. Trick-taking with a twist.

View attachment 658345

Then Blood Rage - we all ended on around 125 points - about 10 points separating first and last.

View attachment 658343

Blood Rage is one of my favourites.

Played For Sale last night with the wife and a friend of hers plus Santorini, Azul and Pandemic. Had to keep the games light as they're not regular players.

Next Friday will be the regular gaming group and we'll play City of Gears and Nemesis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back