Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2002
Bay 18 L3
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bruins, Ice, Aces
Got plenty in this weekend.

Potion Explosion. Enjoyed it thoroughly, thought I would hate it but it moves quick and has good tactile/sensory stuff going on.

5 Minute Marvel, with the app, really fun one to get through quickly.

Legend of the Five Rings, first LCG I've played, liked it.

Patchwork. Thumbs up.

7th Continent. Really good.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Lakers | 49ers | SMC Gaels
Went to PAX over the weekend and had a chance to play a couple of games for the first time.

Azul - We only played a couple of games of this but I can see why it gets such good press. Multiple ways to gain points and worth keeping an eye on your opponents' boards and the tiles they might need/want (definite screw over possibilities, if that's your thing). My housemate owns it yet we've never actually played it at home. Definitely keen to get it to the table again soon.

Blood on the Clock Tower - Got into a 9-player game of this. I was killed in the first night phase so felt a little less involved, even though you're not actually out of the game once killed. There were 4 people who'd played before and they seemed to dominate discussions (which I think was them being talkative naturally and/or the rest of us noobs trying to get our heads around the game). Although the mechanics of the game weren't too hard to understand, I gotta admit I walked away pretty much clueless about what had just happened in the prior 40-odd minutes. I suspect social deduction games of this type (I put The Resistance in this group) may just not be suited to me. I liked that everyone had a different role, but I think a good understanding of each of those roles would also help. Maybe a higher player number would improve things too. My housemate backed it on KS, so when she eventually gets it, a few more tries with 13 or 14 of our closest friends may render it more appealing in my eyes.

Andre

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Mansions of Madness broken out for the first time in months.

First few rooms as we try to discover what the mystery of the jade stone is.

7C284C7E-FADE-4E06-975C-A8B6F7B21B45.jpeg

The final battle against a Star Spawn from another dimension. 30 damage to take down and we are looking unhealthy. All those horror and damage cards on display.

46CABF8A-167F-4FF7-B2F9-827DDF74C16A.jpeg

Close! Victory is ours though. Both my wife and I had lost one of our investigators. Three of four investigators insane. One of mines insanity was needing to be eliminated so took all the mythos checks when could and died. The other of mine couldn’t be wounded so first action on last turn extinguish fire then finish the beast off. Wife’s insane investigator we couldn’t have any search tokens left on board. Thankfully lots of interact ones, but had done all visible searches.

2CE14E32-CAE8-473C-9CFC-A2406ECD0520.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riviat

In a love/hate relationship with Supercoach
Feb 5, 2017
The Capital
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
76ers, Baghdad Bombers
In our group's previous Gloomhaven session my Scoundrel completed her quest. At the start of tonight's session I was presented with a retirement cake. 🤣

View attachment 779831
I'm nowhere near finishing my quest for my Scoundrel. Need 4 card upgrades and we haven't even gotten to the point of unlocking the right shop for that yet. Don't think we've been donating to the church enough for that or something.

I've found levelling up somewhat harder too and am about 90 something experience behind the mage and the brute. Most of my XP cards are dependant on being near someone or having enemies not near each other but to get even close to finishing some of the maps, i've had to go off on my own and beat up stuff. I did open a chest and get a ring that summons a skele which helps with the XP gen and is a massive help with combos.

My loot vacuuming came out in full force last game as well. Lots of dead monsters plus move around with pick up cash skill plus boots with +2 move is an awesome combo.

Andre

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm nowhere near finishing my quest for my Scoundrel. Need 4 card upgrades and we haven't even gotten to the point of unlocking the right shop for that yet. Don't think we've been donating to the church enough for that or something.
It shouldn't take too long to get to being able to upgrade. A good help is the Scenario Flowchart (it's only the numbers, so it won't really spoil anything for you). Scenario 14 will unlock enhancements. Pick the quickest path from where you are currently to get to it. The flowchart is really handy in general we've found to mark off what we've done, what's next and what's blocked / available. I'd recommend printing out, then ticking off on it, as you complete them.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Lakers | 49ers | SMC Gaels

I've found levelling up somewhat harder too and am about 90 something experience behind the mage and the brute. Most of my XP cards are dependant on being near someone or having enemies not near each other but to get even close to finishing some of the maps, i've had to go off on my own and beat up stuff. I did open a chest and get a ring that summons a skele which helps with the XP gen and is a massive help with combos.

My loot vacuuming came out in full force last game as well. Lots of dead monsters plus move around with pick up cash skill plus boots with +2 move is an awesome combo.
Four card upgrades is your quest? I think I made one upgrade late in my Scoundrel's career, and then had enough coin at her retirement to upgrade two other cards. I didn't play the Scoundrel as a loot hound so I would've found that quest harder (or would've needed to change my play style).

As you say, the Scoundrel isn't really huge on XP, which was a massive difference to the Spellweaver. She seemed to pick up XP just by entering a room!

Top Bottom