Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2002
Bay 18 L3
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bruins, Ice, Aces
Got plenty in this weekend.

Potion Explosion. Enjoyed it thoroughly, thought I would hate it but it moves quick and has good tactile/sensory stuff going on.

5 Minute Marvel, with the app, really fun one to get through quickly.

Legend of the Five Rings, first LCG I've played, liked it.

Patchwork. Thumbs up.

7th Continent. Really good.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Went to PAX over the weekend and had a chance to play a couple of games for the first time.

Azul - We only played a couple of games of this but I can see why it gets such good press. Multiple ways to gain points and worth keeping an eye on your opponents' boards and the tiles they might need/want (definite screw over possibilities, if that's your thing). My housemate owns it yet we've never actually played it at home. Definitely keen to get it to the table again soon.

Blood on the Clock Tower - Got into a 9-player game of this. I was killed in the first night phase so felt a little less involved, even though you're not actually out of the game once killed. There were 4 people who'd played before and they seemed to dominate discussions (which I think was them being talkative naturally and/or the rest of us noobs trying to get our heads around the game). Although the mechanics of the game weren't too hard to understand, I gotta admit I walked away pretty much clueless about what had just happened in the prior 40-odd minutes. I suspect social deduction games of this type (I put The Resistance in this group) may just not be suited to me. I liked that everyone had a different role, but I think a good understanding of each of those roles would also help. Maybe a higher player number would improve things too. My housemate backed it on KS, so when she eventually gets it, a few more tries with 13 or 14 of our closest friends may render it more appealing in my eyes.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Mansions of Madness broken out for the first time in months.

First few rooms as we try to discover what the mystery of the jade stone is.

7C284C7E-FADE-4E06-975C-A8B6F7B21B45.jpeg

The final battle against a Star Spawn from another dimension. 30 damage to take down and we are looking unhealthy. All those horror and damage cards on display.

46CABF8A-167F-4FF7-B2F9-827DDF74C16A.jpeg

Close! Victory is ours though. Both my wife and I had lost one of our investigators. Three of four investigators insane. One of mines insanity was needing to be eliminated so took all the mythos checks when could and died. The other of mine couldn’t be wounded so first action on last turn extinguish fire then finish the beast off. Wife’s insane investigator we couldn’t have any search tokens left on board. Thankfully lots of interact ones, but had done all visible searches.

2CE14E32-CAE8-473C-9CFC-A2406ECD0520.jpeg

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In our group's previous Gloomhaven session my Scoundrel completed her quest. At the start of tonight's session I was presented with a retirement cake. 🤣

View attachment 779831
As the Scoundrel I assume you ate it all, leaving none for anyone else. Then robbed their wallets and purses to boot.

In our group's previous Gloomhaven session my Scoundrel completed her quest. At the start of tonight's session I was presented with a retirement cake. 🤣

View attachment 779831

I'm nowhere near finishing my quest for my Scoundrel. Need 4 card upgrades and we haven't even gotten to the point of unlocking the right shop for that yet. Don't think we've been donating to the church enough for that or something.

I've found levelling up somewhat harder too and am about 90 something experience behind the mage and the brute. Most of my XP cards are dependant on being near someone or having enemies not near each other but to get even close to finishing some of the maps, i've had to go off on my own and beat up stuff. I did open a chest and get a ring that summons a skele which helps with the XP gen and is a massive help with combos.

My loot vacuuming came out in full force last game as well. Lots of dead monsters plus move around with pick up cash skill plus boots with +2 move is an awesome combo.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm nowhere near finishing my quest for my Scoundrel. Need 4 card upgrades and we haven't even gotten to the point of unlocking the right shop for that yet. Don't think we've been donating to the church enough for that or something.
It shouldn't take too long to get to being able to upgrade. A good help is the Scenario Flowchart (it's only the numbers, so it won't really spoil anything for you). Scenario 14 will unlock enhancements. Pick the quickest path from where you are currently to get to it. The flowchart is really handy in general we've found to mark off what we've done, what's next and what's blocked / available. I'd recommend printing out, then ticking off on it, as you complete them.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers

I've found levelling up somewhat harder too and am about 90 something experience behind the mage and the brute. Most of my XP cards are dependant on being near someone or having enemies not near each other but to get even close to finishing some of the maps, i've had to go off on my own and beat up stuff. I did open a chest and get a ring that summons a skele which helps with the XP gen and is a massive help with combos.

My loot vacuuming came out in full force last game as well. Lots of dead monsters plus move around with pick up cash skill plus boots with +2 move is an awesome combo.
Four card upgrades is your quest? I think I made one upgrade late in my Scoundrel's career, and then had enough coin at her retirement to upgrade two other cards. I didn't play the Scoundrel as a loot hound so I would've found that quest harder (or would've needed to change my play style).

As you say, the Scoundrel isn't really huge on XP, which was a massive difference to the Spellweaver. She seemed to pick up XP just by entering a room!

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well it’s finally completed. Almost 2 years and closer to 200 then 100 hours of play, Gloomhaven is conquered.

Setting up - my Plagueherald and Berserker, along with my wife’s Scoundrel and Elementist (her second time as Scoundrel. And yes she still managed to find time to loot the one chest. Bloody Scoundrel).

CD54E5F0-FC64-4A2B-B874-352624BB23B3.jpeg

Just The Gloom as the opponent, but at scenario level 5 he had 184 hit points and immunity to Stun, wound, poison, disarm, immobilise AND curse. And end of every round every character suffered 2 hp damage. Oh and boss specials of 1 - move 12, attack 16 and 2 - teleport attack 8 with wound, poison AND stun.
C92021CF-35FA-4FEC-91B2-988CE06FDF47.jpeg

it came down to hoping enough cards weren’t burnt before smashing him. Everyone was one less then 5 HP at the end, but the cards weren’t arseholes to us thankfully and we prevailed.

Next we plan to run the community campaigns before Forgotten Circles. We plan to get both Jaws of the Lion (mini Gloomhaven for shops, with 4 new classes and around 20 scenarios) and back Frosthaven on Kickstarter when it’s up next year. Still both my wife’s and mine favourite game.

Plan to get in some other games over Xmas though. Ages since played Arkham Horror and have a small expansion for that yet to play for one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very lucky to win two of yesterday’s 3 games - Dune and Tapestry.

8e55626ebede8274ae7f9d7ed12b8537.jpg

- Won on 4 cities with an ally on turn 4. Wiped the Emperor from the map with a single unit and a traitor card. Nobody realised what had happened until the victory check phase when I coughed loudly and counted the four cities...

21f804efd953316121981bf09caed09b.jpg

Lucky to have gotten to the end of the War track and my second random civilisation awarded me 19 points.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hmm, a double failure keeping darkness at bay this weekend.

First up Arkham Horror yesterday with Curse of the Dark Pharaoh expansion.

3DD2303C-B2A3-49FD-9238-2B15224F9A16.jpeg
D077DA3E-C505-4AF6-AF65-609FA49C067B.jpeg

Four Elder Signs sealing gates, but open gates when Cthulhu appeared and we only managed to half kill him before all Investigators were dead.

Then today Mansions of Madness. Interesting scenario where the Investigators were split into two parties at the start by a Portal.
Started well then got slammed with Horror and Damage and one Investigator lost all health fighting the final bosses (and so over). Enjoyed them, but at 4 hours for Arkham (plus around another hour setup/pack up) and 2-3 for Mansions not ones tend to get to regularly.

EB94F66C-2882-43B3-B957-4B74C5D360F2.jpeg
2091360D-06E0-4B7B-A93F-D196BB63EE77.jpeg

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Got a copy of Betrayal (2nd edition) for xmas. Have not played it yet but have given the rules a good going over.

Question to those here who have played it - need I bother printing out the online FAQs and errata? It seems they apply to the first edition, and from what I can see anything contained in them are already incorporated into the rules/cards of the second edition.

Got a copy of Betrayal (2nd edition) for xmas. Have not played it yet but have given the rules a good going over.

Question to those here who have played it - need I bother printing out the online FAQs and errata? It seems they apply to the first edition, and from what I can see anything contained in them are already incorporated into the rules/cards of the second edition.
I never have.

SonOfScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2002
Bay 18 L3
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bruins, Ice, Aces
Expancity.

Cool city planning, tile placement and resource management game. Really simple rules but enough thinking to make it interesting. Was my favourite first run through of a game in a long time.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Youngest son had a student free day, so wife took him to the movies. That of course also ended up with her buying Architects of West Kingdom, which we played tonight. I’ll take her coming home having spent $80 on an impulse game over $80 on impulse clothes buying everyday. 😁

For the game itself, worker placement and resource collection to get apprentices, build buildings (you are an Architect as per the name of the game), contribute to the Cathedral and be virtuous. Points mainly from buildings, cathedral and virtue.

Won 34 to 33, with it being straight forward after a couple of turns. Usual proviso of now to play with more than 2, but will definitely play some more.

70F96A59-23E7-4DC1-8BE2-0B595B1E2435.jpeg

Back