Zombie Dice (won it)
Heat: Pedal to the Metal (2nd....)
And something else...

Zoo Vadis! (I lost)

View attachment 1850902
Thoughts on Heat?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Birthday games day for a friend.

Tapestry... in which I heartlessly beat the birthday boy by one point. In this picture he is... er... pointing out our relative positions on the score track.

IMG_8363.jpeg

Love Horrified!

In the last week or two i've played:

Ticket to Ride
Pisces
Splendor
Jaipur
Lost Cities
Space Base
Sushi Go Party
Azul
Forbidden Jungle

For the kids christmas presents i've got them:
Taco Time
Dixit
Exploding Kittens
Machi Koro
Akropolis
Happy Little Dinosaurs

Gaming group Saturday night. Firstly Let’s summon demons, then Flamecraft as the main game.

IMG_1008.jpeg
IMG_1009.jpeg

Then Sunday breaking the brain with Arkham Horror, with Curse of the Dark Pharaoh, Lurker at the Threshold and Black Goat of the Woods small box expansions. Our second only win, and first where the Old One (Hastur) had appeared as too many doom tokens and managed to win the Hail Mary final battle, that gets harder each round. Still on the lookout for the big box expansions at a reasonable price.

IMG_1011.jpeg

IMG_1012.jpeg

IMG_1013.jpeg

First go at Scholars of the South Tigris. Lots of different things to track. Travelling, translating, research, dice, workers and more. Took a few rounds to get in the groove, but it was fun. Like Wayfarers, I’d place between the West Kingdom trilogy, as the best, these two (done of three South Tigris so far) second, with North Sea trilogy third, though all are enjoyable to play.

IMG_1018.jpeg IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1021.jpeg IMG_1022.jpeg IMG_1023.jpeg IMG_1025.jpeg IMG_1028.jpeg IMG_1031.jpeg IMG_1036.jpeg IMG_1038.jpeg IMG_1039.jpeg IMG_1040.jpeg

Multiple games over the Christmas break so far for the wife and I. The Last Kingdom, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, with Renovations expansion for the first time. Horrified American Monsters (with youngest). Moon, with Valkyrie Expansion for the first time. Tiny Epic Vikings, with Ragnarok expansion for the first time. Started Chronicles of Drunagor finally. King of Monster Island (with youngest), Earth and started another run of Sleeping Gods.

Over the XMAS-NY break I played :

• every variation of Cartographers, which is probably my favourite small game.
  • a few scenarios of Fighters of the Pacific.
  • Pacific Ocean, a small card game, very light.
  • Ecosystem. Another small box card game
  • Kingdom Rush: elemental uprising
  • Stomp the Plank, a fun kid’s game

Back at work this week, but still getting in a game of an evening. After finishing our latest go of Sleeping Gods (just exploring new areas), onto Isle of Cats, with first try of Beasts expansion. Last day I got a couple of Lessons (2 points per visible rat and 3 points per visible treasure flag), to mitigate my usual less well laid out boat then my wife (she’s better at the spatial games). So a rare Isle of Cats win for me.

IMG_1052.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night Zombicide Prison Outbreak mission with wife and youngest. Our brains (such as they are) remain uneaten.

IMG_1057.jpeg

Then tonight Mosaic, adding the Wars & Disasters expansion. Ironically didn’t get any of the four decks, disasters get shuffled in, down enough to have a disaster occur. Good (or bad?) luck there. IMG_1061.jpeg IMG_1060.jpeg

Games I played in the last week:

Risk (first time in 20-22 years. Probably won't for another 20-22 years)
Trash Pandas
Taco Time
Machi Koro
Akropolis
Magic Maze

Got this for Christmas. What’s it like?

I really enjoyed it. Pretty easy tile placement game very similar to Cascadia if you've played that before.

It’s not always wrong being a campaigner. Finally started Tomesaga, with Architects of the West Kingdom (with the two expansions). Unfortunately behind in Tomes after game 1 of 3. Paladins of the West Kingdom next when it rolls around again.

IMG_1064.jpeg IMG_1066.jpeg

Then before the next campaign game we did Farshore (an Everdell follow up).

IMG_1072.jpeg

Then last night it was time to return to the Haven, this time with Frost. Yes, the beast 2.0, with Frosthaven started.

IMG_1074.jpeg

Past few days:

Kingdom Rush: Elemental Uprising is really good. Played through a few scenarios solo and after a long set up and walkthrough what was what, the game really got humming. The puzzle is a real challenge.

Guild of Merchant Explorers. For me, the best game I’ve bought on a whim in recent history. Simple flip and place, route building game with a good amount of content in the box. We played 3 different maps. Something about this game and Cartographers I find really appealing.

Cosmoctopus. Enjoyed it, some good combos and card play. Well made game, as the publisher tends to do. I picked up on the PARKS dna, but it has enough different mechanically and in its presentation that I’d happily play either.

Fit To Print. Surprise hit. Friend picked it up on KS and we gave it a good go. I enjoyed it, nice artwork, easy gameplay.

Resurgence. An excellent Kordonskiy game. Man is a terrific designer.

Started our first campaign of Sleeping Gods - Distant Skies tonight. From the tutorial first round, combat, the mechanics have been improved.

IMG_1113.jpeg

Other games played recently include a couple of games of Expeditions, the Scythe sequel and Patriot, a social deduction game at 3+ players and a scenario one at 1-2 players (which was us). Expeditions we split, with each having a big win. The combination of Mech mat you randomly get, how well it has synergy with your random character and companion and if your card type, that works best with, comes out often early makes a big difference. Next time we’re going to go with picking Mech / characters to stop some of that large swing in player options.

Patriot was ok, but clearly designed by someone not wearing glasses. The print was small and/or on too much coloured background, distracting from game play. A pity as the art itself was great.

IMG_1107.jpeg

IMG_1105.jpeg

On Sunday games day with usual gaming group. Outside some small games, next game of Charterstone completed. Finally got my first victory.

IMG_1108.jpeg

Question for the floor:

What was the game(s) that got you into gaming?

What is your favourite game?
For getting into 'modern' board gaming, a couple of the one's that a friend had, that introduced the wife and I into the hobby were Stone Age and Revolution. Still games that we enjoy today.

As for favourite game, it changes, but my top 5, in no particular order, is generally these ones:
Age of Empires 3
Mansions of Madness (2nd edition)
Pandemic Legacy Season 1
Forgotten Waters
Gloomhaven

Finished off our first Sleeping Gods - Distant Skies campaign, then first go at Age of Comics. Needed most of the table for Sleeping Gods, by the end, with all the quest and adventure cards we had.

Age of Comics was an enjoyable resource management / worker placement game. Art was great, evoking that old comic feel.

IMG_1137.jpeg IMG_1144.jpeg

A few games at a game group yesterday, after a game of Maple Valley in the morning.

El Dorado, Age of Comics, 6 Nimit, Paleo then finished off with a three player game of Return to Dark Towet, with a win.

El Dorado

IMG_1150.jpeg

Maple Valley

IMG_1147.jpeg

6 Nimit

IMG_1149.jpeg

Age of Comics

IMG_1148.jpeg

Paleo

IMG_1151.jpeg

Return to Dark Tower

IMG_1152.jpeg

Last edited:
Uprising cropped.jpg

First hit out of Uprising:Curse of the Last Emperor. Great quality components, well received by the group, bloody hard to win. We'll be having another go at it next session now we have the rules/game flow understood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back