On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

Played Lords of Waterdeep again last weekend but with the Skullport expansion. Finished 2nd last this time. The addition of the corruption track as well as a more locations is good. The guy who'd been leading on points during the game took a massive tumble to finish last because of the number of corruption tokens he had (but we later found out he had a mission requiring him to collect them). Rethinking as to whether I want to buy it. LOL.

Played Lords of Waterdeep again last weekend but with the Skullport expansion. Finished 2nd last this time. The addition of the corruption track as well as a more locations is good. The guy who'd been leading on points during the game took a massive tumble to finish last because of the number of corruption tokens he had (but we later found out he had a mission requiring him to collect them). Rethinking as to whether I want to buy it. LOL.
Bloody skulls. And the action card that drains them.

I bought Rangers of Shadow Deep rules recently and had game with my son tonight. Well, he wandered off to play LEGO while I set up.

First scenario of mission one a qualified success - I got combat wrong and my guardsman (and my archer and my tracker) was swamped by zombies and giant rats.

Here we see my rogue Jelena Karpet finding a second treasure counter in a clue token after a last gasp fight and dash on the 8th and last turn.

A7AB32DD-8A32-4933-8719-A30DC73FFA17.jpeg

Too long between games with friends, but my wife and I managed to catch up last night with some.

Played two new games brought by them. Stuffed Fables, a dice and card co-op game where you play stuffed toys keeping a young girl safe from nightmare creatures as she moves to a big bed. Not the target demographic, but it was cute and fun.

BEFE373F-2FBD-4169-956E-91F7C4153214.jpeg My character Theodera the stuffed bear.

7BA3CAB8-90E4-4877-BD18-0721935F5173.jpeg

Then on to Wingspan, one of the more popular kickstarters this year. A more conventional worker placement game, with collecting birds watched (don’t panic Chief it’s the Safe for work kind so no need to delete this post :D).

42BB07C0-3EC5-4919-B310-613D9BB6C9B8.jpeg

The person who’d bought it, she’d only played a couple of times, so wasn’t wiping the floor with us and I pulled out a narrow victory. Won’t bother buying since she can bring along to our games catch-ups, but look forward to playing again, as intricacies to get the head around yet.

Last edited:
A few new games played over the weekend:
  • Architects of the West Kingdom - For whatever reason I struggled with this one. Not a knock on the game, more just me not 'connecting the dots' early enough and initially being overwhelmed with the (seeming) multitude of options. Would give it another go though.
  • Captain Sonar - Only a couple of people had played this before so we played it in turn-based mode (3 vs 3). I can only imagine the chaos (but in a good way) playing it in real-time mode. Was simpler to understand than I thought after initially hearing about it.
  • Colt Express - A light, short game but really fun. This could have easily been done on a standard flat board but the 3D aspect of the train carriages added a nice point of difference. I forgot to use my character's ability (could shoot up or down as well) but I don't think that would have changed the game (I emptied by gun anyway). I liked it so much I bought a 2nd hand copy on Facebook Marketplace.
Also played Codenames and Monikers.

That game looks pretty cool - Fallen Lands?

Played Lords of Hellas with my regular group last Friday night, was in the run to take the victory when one of the guys got the dreaded "you need to come home" from his missus....!!!

I have a catchup on Thursday nights with a bunch of mates that have been gaming either D&D, AD&D, MERP or wargaming for over 30 years. My first game of MERP ever, level 3 Dwarf tank in a group with no other tanks made it interesting fighting 3 white wolves. We are currently on the northern edge of Mirkwood and the foot of the mountains. Battered, hiding to rebuild our collective healths, worried about spiders, Easterlings, Orcs and more wolves!

I have a catchup on Thursday nights with a bunch of mates that have been gaming either D&D, AD&D, MERP or wargaming for over 30 years. My first game of MERP ever, level 3 Dwarf tank in a group with no other tanks made it interesting fighting 3 white wolves. We are currently on the northern edge of Mirkwood and the foot of the mountains. Battered, hiding to rebuild our collective healths, worried about spiders, Easterlings, Orcs and more wolves!
A mate in high school (talking late 80s here) had MERP. Was good fun although we didn't play a heap of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting a Gloomhaven campaign this coming weekend in a party of 4. Looking forward to it. I want to read up on it but also don't want to read spoilers.

I think we're gonna attempt to start Pandemic Legacy too (not sure which season though).

That game looks pretty cool - Fallen Lands?

Played Lords of Hellas with my regular group last Friday night, was in the run to take the victory when one of the guys got the dreaded "you need to come home" from his missus....!!!
Yeah Fallen Land.

Some of the mates i catch up with in our monthly Friday night sessions are my old high school buddies from the 80s - D&D and AD&D is where we started with some dabbling in MERP. Good times.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Our group of four started playing both Gloomhaven and Pandemic Legacy Season 1.

Took a bit to get into the swing of Gloomhaven, as far as getting familiar with the flow of the game and what all the symbols meant. Our party managed to knock off the first scenario, although I (a Scoundrel) became a casualty as we entered the 2nd room. Next time maybe don't be out front when the archers can poison you. Ah well, at least there's a heap more gameplay ahead.

Pandemic was a lot easier to get into, primarily because we'd all played the original version of the game. The frustrating thing was the cards weren't quite in order, which we didn't know until later, so we had 2 similar objective cards out (where the 2nd should have been replacing the first). As we'd cured all 4 diseases before discovering the error, we called January done and will move onto February.

Both good fun though. Looking forward to our next session.

I had a some people over the other weekend and we smashed out the regular party games of Secret Hitler, Codenames and Decrypto. Also tried A Fake Artist Goes to New York for the first which was received pretty well. It seems like such a simple concept but people were definitely in stitches and had a good time.

Been playing some more Gloomhaven recently too. We're about four or so sessions in and slowly starting to get the hang of our characters and playstyles.

Also played Ticket to Ride: New York after purchasing it yesterday which is basically just a much more bitesized version of regular Ticket to Ride. Games are pretty quick and fun enough. I feel like it might even be a little too stripped down?

My wife and her friend started an Insta account tracking their board game obsession, which I kicked off, but have been left for dead with! https://www.instagram.com/ega_boardgurmers/ if you are interested. Bit of fun for them.

We've had a few games of "Wreck Raiders" which is a bit of fun, probably better with the max number of players. A card game called "Push" and a small box game called Hippo. Good, light fillers.

I want to play Rising Sun again this weekend & am going to see if a game called Stone Daze is actually available anywhere here yet.

Friday night was 5e D and D - Tombs of Annihilation. Im playing a Drunken Master Monk.

Never been a fan of Forgotten Realms but so far its fun enough. We are up to level 4.

Yesterday was WH40k Kill Teams. Really love this cut down version. We can spend $60 on an empire/race/faction and be good to go. We are looking at a WH Fantasy version because we have never played.

Afterwards we played the Harry Potter game which is surprisingly fun. A co-op game which clearly had a lot of effort put in to it. They arent just cashing in on a name.

Friday night was 5e D and D - Tombs of Annihilation. Im playing a Drunken Master Monk.

Never been a fan of Forgotten Realms but so far its fun enough. We are up to level 4.

Yesterday was WH40k Kill Teams. Really love this cut down version. We can spend $60 on an empire/race/faction and be good to go. We are looking at a WH Fantasy version because we have never played.

Afterwards we played the Harry Potter game which is surprisingly fun. A co-op game which clearly had a lot of effort put in to it. They arent just cashing in on a name.

The Harry Potter game is good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back