On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

To get in some games with other than just with the wife, we’ve done BoardGameArena a few time’s with our usual 2 gaming friends. Have Facebook chat open to talk whilst we play (me on PC, wife on laptop in the same room).
Last night : Can’t stop, Celestia, Kingdomino, 6nimmt! And Incan Gold. Whilst not as fun as around the table, the plus side is taking out all the setup, pack up time so more games in then during a usual gaming session.

On Good Friday one of my regular D&D groups played online for the first time, using Roll20. Our DM had experience using it before (he was the only one) so it went pretty well. We have another session set up for this Saturday. One upside of 'lockdown' is we're able to fit more sessions in.

Played Wingspan on Tabletop Simulator (workshop version not the official one). First time using TTS. Took a little time to get used to the controls but not bad.

On Good Friday one of my regular D&D groups played online for the first time, using Roll20. Our DM had experience using it before (he was the only one) so it went pretty well. We have another session set up for this Saturday. One upside of 'lockdown' is we're able to fit more sessions in.

Played Wingspan on Tabletop Simulator (workshop version not the official one). First time using TTS. Took a little time to get used to the controls but not bad.
We have been playing a Gamma World game on Roll20.

Someone has a blow up doll...

inflatable.jpg

I keep trying to get my friends to play a serious game on TTS. We do well in in-person boardgame nights but online someone always ends up flipping the table or throwing pieces around. Drinking while playing probably hasn't helped though.

I keep trying to get my friends to play a serious game on TTS. We do well in in-person boardgame nights but online someone always ends up flipping the table or throwing pieces around. Drinking while playing probably hasn't helped though.
Our game was supposed to be more of a test run of TTS but a couple of friends are fairly competitive so of course played to win. I like Wingspan but have only played a few times, so was trying to remember the rules and learn TTS. Decided not to worry about the final score.

Bought my first game today, betrayal at the house on the hill. Looks like heaps of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That’s a great one. There are a couple of scenarios that are odd, and one that everyone says “just pick another one”. Unfortunately I can’t recall which is the bad scenario.

Some good digital versions of games - lowest tier $1.50

Onto the next Everdell expansion this weekend - Bellfaire. Though more accurately it’s several mini-modules, rather then one big theme for the expansion. This gives a new event, a market for gaining and trading goods, plus a small power (random from a bit under 20), for each player to help during the game. Didn’t complicate it too much and had a narrow 1 point victory.

So far wife and I one narrow win apiece with the first two of three expansions. The last and biggest expansion Spirecrest to go stand-alone next, before playing with all three.

A30C9EFA-AE9D-40E2-AA87-63A9869DC4BF.jpeg

I play tested two games I'm developing. The lock down got methinking carefully about games with mechanisms we found most fun and the idea of thematically driven design.

Both were pretty basic concepts, building on Rising Sun style combat / blind auctions and deck building through card or dice upgrades. The process has been really fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First in-person board gaming session in close to 3 months last Friday (other than with my housemate). Knocked out a scenario of Gloomhaven as well as August in Pandemic Season 1. There were a couple of times where we had to check rules as our memories had gotten foggy.

A surprisingly easy GH scenario. Only 2 rooms and a boss (as opposed to a Boss, so no quest progression for me) that went down quite easily. I don't think he got a hit in, which was good as he had auto +2 to attack. Probably our quickest scenario yet.

In Pandemic we were looking well and truly fooked. Either the player deck or the blue cubes were gonna run out, or we'd not get the cards to cure blue. We managed to win on the last possible turn (1 card left in the player deck at the start of that turn).

Finally back to being able to board game in person with our group. Sunday over to one of them for games. A few games played, including:

Catch the Moon - A dexterity based game, of once you've set the two ladders in the base roll a dice where you've got a 1/3 chance of adding a ladder that needs to touch one other ladder, two other ladders or be higher than any other touching only one ladder(trying to catch the moon). Fail by not being able to place or making it fall apart and take a Moon's Tear. Once the last is gone whoever has the least wins (if a tie then keep trying to catch the moon until someone is left).

IMG_5748.JPG

Draftosaurus - Drafting game where get dinosaurs then add to various pens in your dino park. Place one then pass your hand to the left. A die to determine what every one except the person rolling is constrained by (eg. certain pens, an empty pen etc.) Die passes left each placement. Quick and easy.

IMG_5749.JPG

Finally got to play Architects of the West Kingdom with more than just wife and I. A close game with scores 91, 89 (me), 88 and 70 something.

IMG_5752.JPG

Welcome To - a roll and write about building the best suburb.

IMG_5753.JPG

Not a game. Just one of hosts cats getting used to us and wanting to join in.

IMG_5754.JPG

Rapid Response sounds interesting - is it fast paced?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very. It can be all over in a jiffy. Creates a good amount of tension to get the group engaged & forces good behaviour in that you can't really afford to be too much a bossy boots as my wife would say.

Trio this weekend.

Taught a friend Arboretum - needless to say, another convert to small box quality.
Same night, played some Galaxy Trucker. Completely wiped off the map.

Sunday, full day of Gloomhaven.

Last night learned Bruxelles 1893. Fantastically tight without being overly complex without taking away too many options. Big fan. ABDC7D76-264F-4C98-81B2-EDB484314E67.jpeg E338CA4A-435E-4239-8BCE-D14135A95AB5.jpeg FAFBCEB6-F4D9-4EE2-BA65-1D06A37D0E8C.jpeg

Typical all day Gloomhaven Saturday with a quick Galaxy Trucker teach to yet another friend.

Today turned into a Lacerda learning day, with The Gallerist on board.

Lovely thematic integration and for a game which is short on options feels endless round to round. The fact that bumping doesn’t feel like youve been punished or punishing others makes it feel great compared to a lot of Euros that feel constricting through negativity with action drafting.

958C013B-FE71-458A-9ACA-2E805C17F32E.jpeg

Partner is working nights this week so was able to pull out a purchase I played just once and had no idea what I was doing.

Properly learned Spirit Island and eeked out a win solo, trying Shadows for the first time.

Apparently solo is more a luck based affair but loved the game nonetheless so will get it to the table with others.

DDB4EBED-BCD8-4D44-87FF-CCFA38622DC1.jpeg

Squeezed in a game of Patchwork between our respective jobs, clean board by the end but short on buttons and missed out on the 7 pointer.

854CFFC8-27DF-4D61-95B4-35AE5EF1E9B8.jpeg

I bought Oathmark rules not long ago and just gave it a spin tonight to try it out with a few basic units per side - Orcs v Dwarves. No obstacles just a quick run on the lounge room floor.

I’ve never played a mass battle game before but these rules are quite easy. Units of up to 20 men. D10 based, roll up to five dice per attack, with a few modifiers etc.

Poor dwarven line breakers- tough buggers but with a couple of unlucky morale checks they broke and fled :(

The final shoot out between archers saw the Orcs win the day.

5FAB891A-98A2-444E-9370-1CE7E096CBF5.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back