On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

Gloomhaven, for the first time since July. In person, that is. Our group's been playing on TTS since then.

A bit of a different experience having played only online for the last 4 months.

Gloomhaven, for the first time since July. In person, that is. Our group's been playing on TTS since then.

A bit of a different experience having played only online for the last 4 months.
The only downside of in person for the games is the set up / pack away time. Arkham Horror (2nd Edition) is the worst of games we've got for that. Goodbye 90 minutes setting up and at least 30 putting away.

The only downside of in person for the games is the set up / pack away time. Arkham Horror (2nd Edition) is the worst of games we've got for that. Goodbye 90 minutes setting up and at least 30 putting away.
Yeah it's the least attractive aspect of GH. Our group uses the Gloomhaven Helper app to lessen the amount of elements you need to have on the table (and for in-game housekeeping).

Jaws of the Lion has received a lot of love for having the maps in a book instead of using tiles.

Yeah it's the least attractive aspect of GH. Our group uses the Gloomhaven Helper app to lessen the amount of elements you need to have on the table (and for in-game housekeeping).

Jaws of the Lion has received a lot of love for having the maps in a book instead of using tiles.
I like the tiles, as they can give you more options then a map book, but I can see the appeal (haven't gotten Jaws of the Lion yet). Our money tends to go for new games, but did spring for Frosthaven Kickstarter the broken token inserts. I still get tempted to get those for Gloomhaven, even though now onto Forgotten Circles. I think having neat spots for everything would alleviate some of the annoyance.

Today a gaming afternoon hook up. Light games of ‘Just One’ and ‘Welcome To’, but the main game starting the real game of Pandemic Legacy Season 0.

It was a close run January, but with only one player card left (so not enough for another players turn), I was able to get us the second of the two objectives with 2 actions left. A good start! Now we await being screwed over for February 😜

Picture of Board not in spoiler tag, as January didn’t yet bring us any new rules or changes to the board. As soon as they crop up will spoiler proof updates:

255D5CCE-74E6-4B41-9A34-0EDDD8FB1DDC.jpeg

Mystic Market. A really fun card drafting, set collection type of game.
Tumble Town. Brand spanKer from KS, enjoyed it. Dice manipulation and stacking.

BRW #1.jpg

BRW #2.jpg
BRW #3.jpg

Completed our first game of a campaign in Black Rose Wars last night. 4 player game, where I ended up becoming the Necro Dragon (pictured) late in the game. The campaign is a new feature with wave 2 and is played over 7 games. This is a good title, fun but strategic.

With Sleeping Gods arriving today got in game 8 (of 10) of Near and Far to clear that campaign. A narrow loss. Lead overall is now 704 to 691, so have the edge with two to go, but it’s like a two goal 3 quarter time lead. Better to be the side with it, but not enough to relax or lock it down.

4EC8ADB4-3224-4FB3-896B-171E37C4DDB3.jpeg E86E613D-7FD7-434D-8460-01A8BABBEF78.jpeg

Attachments

• 90C660BB-B711-482F-9D3E-BB698451AAFC.jpeg
    90C660BB-B711-482F-9D3E-BB698451AAFC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 114
  • D2482B95-B273-405A-A601-9FF95B9EA96F.jpeg
    D2482B95-B273-405A-A601-9FF95B9EA96F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 114
With Sleeping Gods arriving today got in game 8 (of 10) of Near and Far to clear that campaign. A narrow loss. Lead overall is now 704 to 691, so have the edge with two to go, but it’s like a two goal 3 quarter time lead. Better to be the side with it, but not enough to relax or lock it down.

View attachment 1030379View attachment 1030380

That looks like a fun game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That looks like a fun game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is. You can do it as a single game - pick any map and go, the campaign (10 maps in order, total score across all) or character mode (3 maps in order, sort of a mini-campaign) or co-op mode for a map. Have done single games and campaign is almost done. Would like to try co-op for a map after the campaign is done to see what that is like. Has a solo mode as well, but not a solo player really, with wife also a board gamer we mostly get in 2 players for games, with 4 with friends on average once a month.

This afternoon/evening a gaming afternoon event.

So far Century Spice Road. First time played, came 2nd (out of 4).
98A14252-906E-409B-860A-BC79F5994F0B.jpeg

Then the main event. Pandemic Legacy Season 0 February. No changes to the board until after the month, so no photo of that.Two objectives, a success, but one a partial success where you could do something in 1,2 or 3 cities and we got 2. A negative effect in the other. Won’t say anymore then that. Objectives completed though so two months and two wins. Down to only three events for March though, so can we keep it going?

A5AAB747-7FCD-4B6A-B1A2-9E59C8AC532A.jpeg 4F694F97-96C8-4AA9-83FE-68A66411A1F2.jpeg

After that done light games - Just One, PQD (another word game), Archaeology. Now dinner break before back for more.

Edit: After dinner just the one more game - Istanbul (not Constantinople), sort of worker placement to be the first to get 5 gems via various means. 3 of us played, with the game's owner winning easily, but he was explaining what you need to do, to do better and helping as we went along, not a 'ha ha you suck!' type of win. Wouldn't mind playing again. Of the games played that don't own, I think Century Spice Road is the one I'll definitely be adding to the wish list.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This afternoon/evening a gaming afternoon event.

So far Century Spice Road. First time played, came 2nd (out of 4).
View attachment 1030629

Then the main event. Pandemic Legacy Season 0 February. No changes to the board until after the month, so no photo of that.Two objectives, a success, but one a partial success where you could do something in 1,2 or 3 cities and we got 2. A negative effect in the other. Won’t say anymore then that. Objectives completed though so two months and two wins. Down to only three events for March though, so can we keep it going?

View attachment 1030631View attachment 1030632

After that done light games - Just One, PQD (another word game), Archaeology. Now dinner break before back for more.

Edit: After dinner just the one more game - Istanbul (not Constantinople), sort of worker placement to be the first to get 5 gems via various means. 3 of us played, with the game's owner winning easily, but he was explaining what you need to do, to do better and helping as we went along, not a 'ha ha you suck!' type of win. Wouldn't mind playing again. Of the games played that don't own, I think Century Spice Road is the one I'll definitely be adding to the wish list.
I have each of the Century series. Spice Road is still my favourite, though the most recent one A New World is really good too. Eastern Wonders is fun but just plays a little too long for what you actually do, I think. Love the game designer's work across his career, Volt is one of our favourites he has been involved in.

Christmas gaming! Last night folks over with brother and a mate of his. Roped all into Cash and Guns. Much amusement had of mum ‘shooting’ my brother.

Today started with expansions. Firstly two games of Tidy Towns with the Tidy Towns Fortune expansion received as a gift.

63DB1CB1-61CB-4BE0-B540-E1F692D935C9.jpeg

Wife edged me both times.

Then into Architects of the West Kingdom, with Age of Artisans expansion part of Wife’s birthday present from me. This time a win to me.

1E05C252-547B-439A-A69D-5EFEEB94FDCC.jpeg 79356B9A-A523-4E00-AAF1-8596580268E4.jpeg

Lastly this evening scenario 1 of Jaws of the Lion. With the simplified rules the eldest wanted to give it a try with us. Scenarios 1 to 5 are tutorial ones, adding rules to each so first easy enough for a newbie. A good Christmas Day.

C7462349-658B-40B9-86C9-56F1E59C54F0.jpeg

Attachments

• 11C42D67-7633-4385-9CB9-E1EAA0505E31.jpeg
    11C42D67-7633-4385-9CB9-E1EAA0505E31.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 107
  • C57A6AB7-2449-4E03-9C88-5A57C36D77DB.jpeg
    C57A6AB7-2449-4E03-9C88-5A57C36D77DB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 97
  • 8F2F0F5B-A4DF-4678-8D7E-4C90CD477826.jpeg
    8F2F0F5B-A4DF-4678-8D7E-4C90CD477826.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 97
Yesterday a gaming catch up. Firstly Stop the Train!

Four players, with each getting a character. You get shuffled as many character cards as players, with one the Saboteur who wants to reach Paris.

Each turn you draw 3 effect cards, mostly slow or speed up the train (there’s more speed ups). You take 3 put one on the discard, give 2 to the next player who discards 1 and plays 1.

The primary mission of the Saboteur is to reach Paris, everyone else though is either wanting to stop the train and a secondary mission or have one of only 2 permits to travel.

There are two key points - the signal vote where you choose between the Scenic route, Fast track (obviously the shortest route) and Viaduct. Unfortunately to make it harder to pick the Saboteur some characters have their secondary mission as take the Fast Track. With a limited number of Effect cards most don’t want the Fast Track (if Effect cards run out the train is stopped).

When we played though one of the others had a mission of take the Fast Track.

When you reach a bridge near the end of the track you have Emergency meeting where you discuss who to throw off the train. Each player in turn says who they think the Saboteur is and why then a vote. Well usually except if like us someone confuses things by playing a Secret vote card where you don’t show who you are going to vote for.

It went from sure my wife was the Saboteur to the other player - why would you do that if not? Unfortunately she confused us all and we threw her off and my initial suspicion was right.

DDFCB92C-2DA6-439B-BDD3-590F48BE7BDB.jpeg F33FDD2B-D4BA-40EF-B5B4-06A7DBF560C0.jpeg

Then our good run at Pandemic Legacy Season 0 came to an end. Two failures in March 😕

Attachments

• E16390D1-A1A3-49B0-99DC-DA719D454953.jpeg
    E16390D1-A1A3-49B0-99DC-DA719D454953.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • DF1F3CC7-1808-4490-A0C2-D935A9EF170B.jpeg
    DF1F3CC7-1808-4490-A0C2-D935A9EF170B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Yesterday a gaming catch up. Firstly Stop the Train!

Four players, with each getting a character. You get shuffled as many character cards as players, with one the Saboteur who wants to reach Paris.

Each turn you draw 3 effect cards, mostly slow or speed up the train (there’s more speed ups). You take 3 put one on the discard, give 2 to the next player who discards 1 and plays 1.

The primary mission of the Saboteur is to reach Paris, everyone else though is either wanting to stop the train and a secondary mission or have one of only 2 permits to travel.

There are two key points - the signal vote where you choose between the Scenic route, Fast track (obviously the shortest route) and Viaduct. Unfortunately to make it harder to pick the Saboteur some characters have their secondary mission as take the Fast Track. With a limited number of Effect cards most don’t want the Fast Track (if Effect cards run out the train is stopped).

When we played though one of the others had a mission of take the Fast Track.

When you reach a bridge near the end of the track you have Emergency meeting where you discuss who to throw off the train. Each player in turn says who they think the Saboteur is and why then a vote. Well usually except if like us someone confuses things by playing a Secret vote card where you don’t show who you are going to vote for.

It went from sure my wife was the Saboteur to the other player - why would you do that if not? Unfortunately she confused us all and we threw her off and my initial suspicion was right.

View attachment 1033238View attachment 1033239

Then our good run at Pandemic Legacy Season 0 came to an end. Two failures in March 😕

Hey Andre,

How do you rate Stop the Train? How long to play, how engaging? Is it a problem if someone is booted mid game? I'm always on the look out for good games for entry level players.

Hey Andre,

How do you rate Stop the Train? How long to play, how engaging? Is it a problem if someone is booted mid game? I'm always on the look out for good games for entry level players.
I enjoyed it. It's a 10-15 minute setup and rule confirmation for the first time you play (probably 5 - 10 subsequently I'd think) and it took around 30 for 4 of us to play, so not a long one. Time to play would be only marginally more at 5 or 6 players, as most of it is moving along the track, which doesn't change length with player count.

It's a minimum of 4 players, which we did it at, but I think at 5 or 6 it would be better, as it'd be easier to hide as the Saboteur (as noted if one of the other's hadn't thrown a WTF? card in the mix we'd have had the Saboteur thrown off after identifying fairly quickly).

The booting occurs at the Emergency meeting, which is about 3 quarters of the way along the track, so if booted you're only watching on for less than 10 minutes, in our case was probably 5 - 7. If you're booted as the Saboteur you're still going to be hoping you've sped the train up enough to have it reach Paris, so even though you lost, so will probably others (as if you reach Paris you still need one of the only two Permits to Travel or complete your secondary mission).

I enjoyed it. It's a 10-15 setup for the first time you play (probably 5 - 10 subsequently I'd think) and it took around 30 for 4 of us to play, so not a long one. Time to play would be only marginally more at 5 or 6 players, as most of it is moving along the track, which doesn't change length with player count.

It's a minimum of 4 players, which we did it at, but I think at 5 or 6 it would be better, as it'd be easier to hide as the Saboteur (as noted if one of the other's hadn't thrown a WTF? card in the mix we'd have had the Saboteur thrown off after identifying fairly quickly).

The booting occurs at the Emergency meeting, which is about 3 quarters of the way along the track, so if booted you're only watching on for less than 10 minutes, in our case was probably 5 - 7. If you're booted as the Saboteur you're still going to be hoping you've sped the train up enough to have it reach Paris, so even though you lost, so will probably others (as if you reach Paris you still need one of the only two Permits to Travel or complete your secondary mission).

Sounds pretty good, thanks. Where did you get it?

All setup for the last Near and Far map (10 of 10).

B389B165-3DBB-404B-947F-7761B9EFC3A5.jpeg DDF8DB73-2808-4341-9D3C-DEE31C951AC5.jpeg

And pipped at the post! After all 10 maps I went down 909 to 914 for total scores across the campaign. It was fun though. Next campaign one for just wife and I will be the cooperative Sleeping Gods, also by Red Raven Games.

62ED8D13-A3CD-46B7-8FAF-7B13EE78D8DF.jpeg

Attachments

• 02D39AC7-D6FC-48E6-B5EC-4FF878823030.jpeg
    02D39AC7-D6FC-48E6-B5EC-4FF878823030.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 102
I have been carting Village back and forth to games days for a couple of years now. Finally got it on the table yesterday. Won by a few points but we all scored pretty poorly.
C62AF3F8-852B-477C-8EC4-42FAED88B68A.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back