On the weekend I played...

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think this one, as it is, is my favourite in the series. Followed closely by Spice Road. Eastern Wonders feels a little bit more “full” mechanically, but it plays at a different pace.
Gave it a run through with the Spice Road market on the weekend. Tied for points. Have only played Eastern Wonders twice now and Spice Road the once, several months ago, so don’t have a favourite of the two as yet.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Played Lost Ruins of Arnak with a couple of friends on Board Game Arena the other night. Thankfully I'd watched some how to play vids in advance. Surprisingly I won, even though my friends had played it a couple of times already.

Not sure I'd buy it for myself but I enjoyed it.

Successful COVID free hospital. Most popular too (by a point despite time wasting)
A4BEFD05-7648-4901-84A5-9B7133222F23.jpeg

Achy Blakey Heart

Premium Platinum
Jun 29, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Celtics,Red Sox,Patriots,Dragons,
2x run throughs of Dune: Imperium Solo with Paul Atreides. Came 3rd in first game and knocked both AI's off in the second on easy mode. A great game really enjoyable.

Will try to get in some Marvel Champs this week!

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Carcassonne almost spilling off the table. First time with ‘Under the big top’ and ‘Count, King and Robber’ expansions. Also had the ‘Traders and Builders’, ‘Inns and Cathedrals’ and ‘Abbey and Mayor’ expansions. A narrow win, both in the 300’s.

920FE6C9-8C2C-4975-9032-C64B21B38A0B.jpeg

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pandemic Legacy Season 0 nearing its end. We completed 2 of 3 objectives at our first crack at November (so considered adequate).

We trusted Sabik, the on the run CIA agent, when given a choice prior to first November game. So far appears the right choice.
9BC5A2C7-023C-407A-8AEA-9146E8C6ED0D.jpeg
Also a couple of games of Sprawlopolis. Pocket card game wife got via Kickstarter. Also Get the McGuffin and Time Stories.

Then last night Mansions of Madness. First crack for us at a difficulty 5 of 5 scenario. Failed, but close. Will give it another crack soon.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On the weekend we tried out Cosmic Frog, one of two games wife got me for my birthday a couple of weeks ago (disregarding the Kickstarters already ordered myself 😜). Weird theme of giant frogs swallowing parts of planets, with victory off most of different kinds of lands and most in a row on your board of swallowed lands. Was good. will play again, though not one that’s going to break into my top 10 games.

3953DBC7-12AF-4C1F-AF7B-BDD1DEFF8AE5.jpeg

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It makes you think some game designers are on LSD when they come up with their themes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, but can see that with so many games put out the last 5-10 years it must be harder to get one to stand out as not just another worker placement/card collection/dice rolling/horror etc like so many before.

Went through a few games OTW.

Machi Koro, Star Fighters (my son's home brew game), and Barenpark with the kids on Saturday night.

Then The Crew and Regicide on Sunday.

Regicide as a card game is a bit clunky. There is obviously a path to optimal play but... I dunno. Didn't grab us.

The Crew, however, is addictive. It is a great game. We played some, then had a barbecue, then played a few more hands. I think we played about 15 scenarious out of the 50.

Sep 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Mount Buller Demons
I know I’m late to the party, but my wife got Wingspan for our anniversary on Saturday and we’re already up to 9 games 😂😂
As someone who has only really played gateway games… this is a tight little engine builder. I feel like I’m about to sink some serious cash into the expansions and upgrades!!

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Halloween Party last night, where most there are board gamers. Ones played, that had before - Organ Attack, Horrified and 2 goes at Stop the Train.

Latter first time with 5 players. As expected after our earlier 4 player game it was easier to hide being the Saboteur. First time I was Saboteur, but explaining the rules, so all through for the two new players was able to go ‘If you’re the Saboteur you might want to do …’. Things I was doing. Second time wife was Saboteur and had figured out she was, but she sped up the train past where we could have the emergency meeting to throw her off. Train crashed. So far 3 wins for the Saboteur, we’ll probably start the train slower next time to try and give a bit more of a chance to the rest.

New game we played, that someone else brought, was Psycho Killer. Card based game where 5 psycho killers in deck. When one is drawn everyone with a weapon/weapons suffers the damage from them. Various cards to mitigate etc. player with the least damage once all 5 killers are out (unless everyone but one has died) is the winner 3 of 5 made it to the end (including me), but wasn’t the least damaged. Pretty meh really, certainly not going to get for our collection.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our gaming catch up Saturday. We played Similo and Cosmic Frog. Main event though was second crack at November in Pandemic Season 0. We’d completed two of the three objectives first time to be considered adequate.

Our remaining objective was to get to the Manufacturing facility in the safe house. We managed to accomplish it despite having 3 incidents off one card, by bad luck of where existing incidents were (it went Europe Europe Europe, really!?!).

55D22718-0587-4BA1-8CE1-F404161B2662.jpeg

I see you only get the one crack at December, so that’ll be ‘interesting’ to finish up the next time.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
First run of Zombicide Season 2, that we picked up a few weeks ago. Wife, youngest son and I running two survivors each.

FC9DD894-BD60-4F40-B854-8674A92F1200.jpeg

Yea, exit behind the closed door that’s piling up zombies. Had that many again by time opened door. It was open, let many come out to us and all of us taking turns blasting or melee attacking. A few wounds from runners with their double activations, but made it without anyone having to become a Zombivor. Onto the first non-tutorial mission of the campaign next.

Last edited:

SonOfScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2002
Bay 18 L3
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bruins, Ice, Aces
Had a big weekend of gaming (and buying 😬)

- Viticulture w/ Tuscany expansion.
- Brew
- Nidavellir
- Marvel United
- Air Land and Sea
- Juicy Fruits
- Dice Command
- Fire Tower

Bought:
All Star Draft
Shadow Kingdoms of Valeria
Kingdom Rush

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Got Obsession to the table last weekend. 2-player using the 2nd edition but just the base rules. Will try with the expansions and more players another time.

Good fun. As reviewers have noted, dripping with theme. Every element has a thematic tie-in, to the point the rulebook and glossary tells you what they are.

20211205_210556.jpg

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A few of the games hadn’t gotten to yet or Christmas gifts, played today.

Firstly one of the two scenarios from the Beyond the Threshold expansion I got for Christmas. Casting the App it to the TV. A narrow victory.

3562E633-839A-4EBD-9241-55E3C2F61950.jpeg
FDC11E7A-B284-48EB-88CB-6C1637690260.jpeg

Then an expansion to Cat Lady (not much offered at 2 players, the main benefit is being able to get a 5th and 6th player).

Then the three expansions to Carcassonne we hadn’t played yet - ‘Princess and Dragon’, ‘Hills and sheep’, ‘Bridges, Castles and Bazaars’. A win for me. Next time to do with all 8 expansions we have (brains may dribble out our noses after breaking, when try all 8).
3502E756-E8AC-40A2-9091-15C32F375579.jpeg

Lastly photosynthesis, a worker placement game really, except your workers are trees, place upgrade and collect your points. Another narrow win, my day today.

F6EFCDAE-21D5-49E2-B975-27E20714C64D.jpeg

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Game day catch up. Firstly Pandemic Legacy Season 0 finished up. We only completed one of three objectives for December (you only get one shot at it), but did reasonably well throughout the year, so still a reasonable final rating for us.

Then joined by two more gaming friends. A game of Lords of Waterdeep. First time played with 6 players. A narrow win 117, with next person on 116 and then a 112.

B11D1A39-9AE5-4DF1-8F6F-C5D3B9AC4A1B.jpeg

After that Cat Lady, didn’t win.
Then Just One. 11 out of 13, that perfect remains elusive.

Our new Similo Fables and Similo Myths got a run along a friends Similo History, with various combinations of two sets at a time as the card to guess and clue cards. Trying to do a clue like ‘Which creature/ character from a Fable is like/not like an historical figure’ or the like made it harder. We only got 1 of 5 guessed correctly.

8C4B337F-E2A3-4194-AB0F-B12CE4EA440C.jpeg

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Went a little crazy over the Christmas period.
Drakons, Greedy Dragons, Citadels for family fun
Red Storm and LOTR Card Game for the Mrs or a friend.

Im currently trying to get 1/2 player games but its not easy and not cheap.

The 2 games I most want are:
Mrs Thatcher's War
Atlantic Chase

Also wanting Next War: Taiwan. Oh and also Thunderbolt Apache Leader.

Last edited:

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
I’m in love with Splendor; man what a game. Played a few games over New Years and just can’t get enough of it. For such a simple game, there are so many decisions packed into it.

Have finally learnt how to play Robinson Crusoe and expecting it to hit the table tomorrow. Had it for ages but finally sat down and learnt how to play, super excited.

Back