News On this day 10 years ago ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Gene Simmons

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2007
Melbourne Rock City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I remember being at this game, from my recollection it was Roughs, Lewis & Simon Taylor's 1st game..

Disappointing result but I remember walking away very optimistic with our future.. I swear to god, I went o work the next day and said that Hawks would win a flag within 3 years..everyone laughed... :thumbsu:

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
Was behind the goals when Hay kicked that goal for them.......even the Essendon supporters near us couldn't believe it

My recollection was us getting well behind then coming back strongly . Left the ground feeling we have the makings of a decent side , was the first time in seasons I had felt that way

Mr_Hodge15

Debutant
Apr 10, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yup. Harford climbed the goal post.
Yep in 1998. Had a habit of getting leads then giving them up. Crawford played on Hird that day too.

I admire Dunstall. Looking back he was a dead set superstar (along with crawf) in a fairly average team and he stayed as a one club player.

If it wasn't for his 2 knee reconstructions I know who would be the all time greatest goal scorer.... And it ain't the fat man who used to sink into the mud at Waverley....

* I'm referring to Plugger for those who are too young to remember.

Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS
April 16th 2005

Alastair Clarkson claims his first win as Hawthorn coach.

Hawthorn 18.7 115 d Brisbane Lions 10.9 69 -- what a great feeling it was !!

2072629_orig.jpg

9570077_orig.jpg

bigton08

Premiership Player
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Look at Crawf in that pic oh the memories I miss him from our game he was a star( le sigh)

luciien

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
I fondly remember the second game next game we played against essendon. Wantfrees shanked a banana, with not a soul in front of him, 30m from goal then the siren went. First time we had beaten the scum in eight years. Most of all I remember Campbell Brown racing punches on the head of Matthew Lloyd, after the essendon hard man had caved in the face of our defensive enforcer, Josh Thurgood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
April 16th 2005

2072629_orig.jpg

9570077_orig.jpg

Watched it from the AFL members near the old media booths.

Recall Franklin getting in a wrestle with Leppitsch. Great day.

Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS
Campbell "anger management exemplar" Brown is doing a damned fine Breust impersonation in the top photograph.

han-solo-01.png

"Except Luke Breust don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose ... Campbell Brown has been known to do that."

Bedi

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
April 16th 2005

2072629_orig.jpg

9570077_orig.jpg
Didn't realise this was Clarko's first win. The way we played against this champion Brisbane side - who were still very much a force - really opened my eyes to the direction we were heading. A hugely symbolic win in the context of where we are now. Going for the threepeat, we all really need to sit back and truly relish this golden era we're in now. Go the mighty fighting Hawks!

vaughnie

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd, Burton Albion
Didn't realise this was Clarko's first win. The way we played against this champion Brisbane side - who were still very much a force - really opened my eyes to the direction we were heading. A hugely symbolic win in the context of where we are now. Going for the threepeat, we all really need to sit back and truly relish this golden era we're in now. Go the mighty fighting Hawks!

If my memory serves me correctly Michael Voss tried to intimidate Jordan Lewis that day, something he was brilliant at, and Lewis went straight back at him. I remember thinking that we had finally found a bit of leadership.

The Hawthorn team in the early 2000's, as good as they were at times, lacked some genuine menace and strong leadership. And to see Lewis as a young kid not take a backward step against a genuinely tough guy was great. We also kicked 100 points which was as rare a hen's teeth back then!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back