News On this day 10 years ago ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it was Dean Solomon the cheat claiming it too. **** I hate that club.

Unfortunately whenever we think back to those challenging years the 2001 PF is at the forefront of those memories. That game was the most bullshit umpiring performance I will ever see. You can not tell me that that generation of umpires did not have an Essendon agenda.

Unfortunately whenever we think back to those challenging years the 2001 PF is at the forefront of those memories. That game was the most bullshit umpiring performance I will ever see. You can not tell me that that generation of umpires did not have an Essendon agenda.

I was there and furious. I understand Goldspink is a North man - what sort of North man carries Essendon into a GF?

Next game had the braces guernsey

10 years of chasing later - it does bad things to a man.

I was there and furious. I understand Goldspink is a North man - what sort of North man carries Essendon into a GF?

I've spoken to his folks a couple of times about it, and it's actually funny and sad what I will say.

The funny part is the umpires actually have people in the stands marking their games, the contentious calls were made by the other ump(according to his folks), but for some reason he got blamed by the hawks fans.

The sad part is he received seat threats because of that and were very serious. Won't go into details but that is just all sorts of crazy and what for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've spoken to his folks a couple of times about it, and it's actually funny and sad what I will say.

The funny part is the umpires actually have people in the stands marking their games, the contentious calls were made by the other ump(according to his folks), but for some reason he got blamed by the hawks fans.

The sad part is he received seat threats because of that and were very serious. Won't go into details but that is just all sorts of crazy and what for?

This is the biggest bullshit moment of the whole season 2001 (Cox's goal line mark). His folks are absolutely full of it.

Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 20.24.37.png

Receiving threats is out of order. My memory was that it was him and I'll leave it at that, don't have any desire to watch that game again.

Was once quote da saying he liked to see fans outrage, which I suspect most of them do. They need a full time shrink not full time umpires

I spoke to a current day umpire who made the following comment about another current day umpire (who shits me) - "he's an axe murderer".

At the end of the day the Goldspink debacle saved us from an inevitable smoking in the 2001 Grand Final

Probably agree. So did Luke Ball in 2011. However, we all know the favourite doesn't always get (was about to tag one of our Bay Geelong friends....).

Hawthorn's best 22 heading into the 2006 season according to Mike Sheahan ...

2096683_orig.jpg
Roughead to the backline! The dream is real! :drunk:

At the end of the day the Goldspink debacle saved us from an inevitable smoking in the 2001 Grand Final

But a loss in the GF to a fantastic side would have been more honourable than what was witnessed that day

I think we could have taken them...

In any case, the era we're looking at here, 2005 onwards, is my favourite time as a Hawks fan, which consciously started at the start of the 1980's. I knew early on I was watching a man with a plan, erasing the bumbling of the last decade plus, and the new kids were something special. You knew you were watching a team going to school, made to rack up 400 possessions just to practice getting the ball, before they were then trained in better methods of delivery, and it was a new lesson every week. That Lions win is one of my favourite of all time. And then skipping forward to 2008, it all came together...and just for once, we had luck on our side, with a team galvanising at just the right time v a superior combination who really should have taken us but let it slip...

Just week after week, for four straight years, knowing we were on a winner, and very soon a lot of detractors were going to have it all shoved right up their arses...great days. And looking back, the climax coincided with my darkest days - after my dad died in Feb 2008, my partner died six months later, two days before Crawford played his 300th against the Lions at York Park. I recall telling people I didn't want the Hawks winning the flag that season, because I didn't want it making me recall a c### of a year with some sort of weird conflicted happiness. The flag got me through it instead...best premiership of the 13, the power of footy...!

I think we could have taken them...

In any case, the era we're looking at here, 2005 onwards, is my favourite time as a Hawks fan, which consciously started at the start of the 1980's. I knew early on I was watching a man with a plan, erasing the bumbling of the last decade plus, and the new kids were something special. You knew you were watching a team going to school, made to rack up 400 possessions just to practice getting the ball, before they were then trained in better methods of delivery, and it was a new lesson every week. That Lions win is one of my favourite of all time. And then skipping forward to 2008, it all came together...and just for once, we had luck on our side, with a team galvanising at just the right time v a superior combination who really should have taken us but let it slip...

Just week after week, for four straight years, knowing we were on a winner, and very soon a lot of detractors were going to have it all shoved right up their arses...great days. And looking back, the climax coincided with my darkest days - after my dad died in Feb 2008, my partner died six months later, two days before Crawford played his 300th against the Lions at York Park. I recall telling people I didn't want the Hawks winning the flag that season, because I didn't want it making me recall a c### of a year with some sort of weird conflicted happiness. The flag got me through it instead...best premiership of the 13, the power of footy...!

I had my 2008 in 2013 when my old man also passed. Still 2008 is by far my favourite flag and its not even close...

Yeah, it's hard. Sorry to hear - it's still raw enough for me 8 years later, so it must be tough on you. On a lighter note, my band had a huuuuge argument one particular night in 1999, after which we all went home pretty much convinced we'd part ways by the end of the weekend. I drove home at 2am, opened up a six pack, and sat there fuming as I put on the recording of that night's game, West Coast v Hawthorn at Subiaco. By the end of it, I was pretty mellow, because we won by 2 points in a massive upset. The next day, I was pretty upbeat because of it, and when we all got together for the following day's gig, we were all smiles and mates again from the first minute. They probably got on the cones after the fight, but for me (who doesn't do that), once again it was the power of footy...!

This is the biggest bullshit moment of the whole season 2001 (Cox's goal line mark). His folks are absolutely full of it.

View attachment 210106

10,000% correct.

I was sitting about 12 rows back behind the point post on the MCC member side so I had a perfect isometric view of his mark. He marked the ball on the goal line and when he first got his hands firmly on the ball 80% of the ball had not crossed the goal line.

The only correct rulings in that case could be: touched a behind, if he was deemed not to have not been in control of the ball at the goal line, or a mark which is was in fact.

For some blithering f&*ckwit field umpire standing orthogonally to the goal line 30 to 40m out to over rule the goal umpire was the MOST outrageous decision I have ever seen live or on TV in many many decades of following the sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back