on this day.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Gratuitious John Barnes double up special.

36 years to the day since he announced himself with this goal against Brazil:

..and 33 years since he signed for Liverpool.

The first player I can remember really idolising as a young Liverpool fan. Best footballer in England and among the best in the world from 87 until 91 when he ruptured his achilles. Brilliant to watch at his peak.

He was crap for England though. Dined off that goal for years. Superb for Liverpool though arguably the best in the league during that time

He was crap for England though. Dined off that goal for years. Superb for Liverpool though arguably the best in the league during that time

He, Hoddle and Waddle were all crap for England compared to what they achieved at club level. In those days the England set up treated those guys as flashy accessories instead of building the team around them as they should’ve done.

Lineker, Beardsley, Barnes, Waddle, Gascoigne, Robson

The group England took to the 1990 World Cup gives the 2006 side a run for its money in the talent stakes.

Lineker, Beardsley, Barnes, Waddle, Gascoigne, Robson

The group England took to the 1990 World Cup gives the 2006 side a run for its money in the talent stakes.
Robson as per usual got injured. I think it was Platt who came in for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a tournament.

Gratuitious John Barnes double up special.

36 years to the day since he announced himself with this goal against Brazil:

..and 33 years since he signed for Liverpool.

The first player I can remember really idolising as a young Liverpool fan. Best footballer in England and among the best in the world from 87 until 91 when he ruptured his achilles. Brilliant to watch at his peak.

What a footballer. He makes my Liverpool Mount Rushmore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back