on this day.........

Remove this Banner Ad

On this day 2 years ago.
TELEMMGLPICT000199358089_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqLeUJvOJqnV613e1NxllMSYIixnj0N-lTmS4HQcSqwKA.jpeg

18 years today since Ronaldinho was unveiled as a Barca player

View attachment 1181307

He was amazing for a few seasons there. Can't remember many with more natural talent. Burnt out quickly with his penchant for the party lifestyle and was pretty much cooked by his late twenties at AC Milan.

6 years ago today. A true meeting of the minds.

One got sacked 3 months later the other is still hanging on.

images
The only players in this picture left at their club are Henderson, Milner and Origi.
JS68491654.jpg

18 years today since Ronaldinho was unveiled as a Barca player

View attachment 1181307
Wow, a friendly against Barca was the second (I think) game played at our stadium a few weeks after that.

Ronaldinho got cheered every time he touched the ball cause he snubbed United.

August 17 1974 Carlisle United played their first game in the English First Division defeating Chelsea 2-0 at Stamford Bridge.

August 20 1974 Carlisle United defeated Middlesbrough 2-0.

August 24 1974 Carlisle United played their first home game in the First Division defeating Tottenham 1-0.

After three rounds Carlisle United sat on top of the table.

1629289769745.png

By the end of the season the Cumbrians were relegated and have never returned to the top flight (although we came close in 1983/84) but for a week we were the best club in all of England. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, a friendly against Barca was the second (I think) game played at our stadium a few weeks after that.

Ronaldinho got cheered every time he touched the ball cause he snubbed United.

I was pretty happy with who we signed instead

August 17 1974 Carlisle United played their first game in the English First Division defeating Chelsea 2-0 at Stamford Bridge.

August 20 1974 Carlisle United defeated Middlesbrough 2-0.

August 24 1974 Carlisle United played their first home game in the First Division defeating Tottenham 1-0.

After three rounds Carlisle United sat on top of the table.

View attachment 1209999

By the end of the season the Cumbrians were relegated and have never returned to the top flight (although we came close in 1983/84) but for a week we were the best club in all of England. :)
The added bonus of season 1974-75, Manchester United were in the second division.

This just popped up in my FB memories. On the night of the game I'd put up a status of "Should I stay up for United-Arsenal?" reckon I should have.. remember waking up in the morning thinking I was misreading and Arsenal won 2-0.

And as bad as the game was, I recall the endless bombardment of “I’d 8-2 be an Arsenal fan today” in the aftermath.

18 years ago yesterday -

View attachment 1243207

That Arsenal side was a thing of beauty. Built by Wenger, plenty of steel, determination and style all rolled into one.

Jens - No nonsense keeper bought for just 1.5m pounds from Dortmund. Bargain.
Cole - Youth team product
Sol - Freebie from Spurs
Keown: No nonsense club stalwart brought back from Everton.
Kolo - Bought for peanuts straight from Africa
Lauren - Bought from Mallorca
Ljungberg - Bought for peanuts from Sweden
Vieria - A gun but recruited from Italy after an indifferent spell there.
Gilberto Silva - Bought from Brazil on peanuts
Pires - Bought from Marseille
Henry - Bought on the cheap from Juve after an indifferent spell and reshaped into a devastating CF by Wenger.
Bergkamp - One of the few already world class players that Wenger bought from Inter who turned out to be an absolute bargain considering he gave 10 years service.
Wiltord - One of the few big money deals in the team at 13 million back in 2000. Was a bit part player but still did very well.

I don't think any modern team, not even Leicester comes close to this team in how little was spent on it (relatively) and how many of the players were developed at the club. He truly was an elite manager back then with revolutionary techniques.

Don't think you can win a title these days building a team like Wenger did with this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back