Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

No its nothing like that.

And half the rules that have gone against us we never signed up to.

And then theres the new rules that the afl bring in every year.

Its a fluid sport - get used to it

And at some stage the vfl is really going to have to become the afl - or there will be a super afl or suchlike - there will be a point where interstate teams get the shits enough and some seriously rich twiggy type will think ok - if thats their attitude - WE WILL START OUR OWN LEAGUE.

Plonk a salary cap thats 3 times or more what they currently get - tell the big clubs that they dont have to subsidise the little clubs any more

And voila - your vfl will be dust.

And this isnt a good thing. Grassroots footy is what will suffer.

I always love this idea.....All I can say is go for it.

Watch how quickly the new league falls apart.

No subsidies?? Goodbye NSW & QLD clubs.

Of course the Vic clubs will stick together and stay put because they want to play each other. (this is why attempts at a superleague failed in the 80s)

So really you're down to the 4 WA & SA clubs (well, Port would probably go broke pretty quickly).

Have fun with that. We'll try not to rub your faces in it too much when you come crawling back.

BTW. what are all these rules that have gone against you poor babies?

Yeah, it sucks, but that's supply and demand, and they know they can sell them at that price.

Now triple the demand without adding much supply...How hard/expensive do you think it'd be to get a flight?
I guess victorians would have to get used to the idea that watching their team in a grand final costs a fortune

Bit like we have.

No.

Finals were played at the G, it was how it was. There was no notion of a 'home' teams, people didn't sh1t the bed that Collingwood didn't get to play finals at Vic Park and even Geelong would play at the G / Waverley without sooking.

The notion of a higher ranked team deserving a 'home' game is some myth trotted out by WA fans. It has never been part of the GF landscape in the AFL.

What happens in the WAFL? Do they play the GF at the home of the higher ranked team?
No but they didnt have to fly across the country to do it

I always love this idea.....All I can say is go for it.

Watch how quickly the new league falls apart.

No subsidies?? Goodbye NSW & QLD clubs.

Of course the Vic clubs will stick together and stay put because they want to play each other. (this is why attempts at a superleague failed in the 80s)

So really you're down to the 4 WA & SA clubs (well, Port would probably go broke pretty quickly).

Have fun with that. We'll try not to rub your faces in it too much when you come crawling back.

BTW. what are all these rules that have gone against you poor babies?

How long do you have?

Again we have a higher ranked team playing an away gf.

Its not a fair solution - but you have to love the idea of a granny at the g - its an amazing venue.

So i was thinking - how can we even it up - and i thought - well you can trade future picks - why cant you trade future home finals.

And there it is - win lose or draw - after this weekend - richmond owe adelaide a home final.
What happens if West Coast end up playing Freo in a GF?

No but they didnt have to fly across the country to do it
I get this feeling even if the AFL met every demand you asked for, you would find many more reason to sook

Your team is based in WA, you have to travel.
The gf is contracted to the MCG until 2037

Get over it.

If you can't, give AFL up, just support WAFL

Honestly, there isn't a more compromised league probably in all of world sport. It truly is bizarre when you objectively look at it:

9 of the 18 teams based in 1 city
Those 9 teams sharing 2 grounds
One team with its own home ground not hosting finals there.
The showpiece event being held at the same location every year - which sounds fine until you realise it is also some of the teams's home ground and throws up situations like this year.
18 teams playing a 22 game season with no thought to any type of rolling schedule which equalises teams playing against each other H&A across a multi year cycle.
The father son rule (seriously the strangest of them all)
Uneven salary caps
Gift concessions to expansion teams.
Probably lots more too.

For what its worth i think the MCG should remain the location for the GF, it is entrenched now and honestly i am not sure how much of a 'home ground' it is on GF day. Still think if the hosting arena is the same every year it should be truly neutral, but we don't have the number of stadia and population to really support that.

You owe us a home final btw ;)

i realise this is a joke, but can someone explain the rules in this context? hawks beat the minor premier in the prelim, while eagles beat 8th. were eagles the higher ranked team because they won the QF, or because they finished higher on the ladder after home and away? if the former, which of the dockers or eagles would've been the higher ranked team (had freo won the prelim)? honest question, i've never paid much attention to the technicalities.

I guess victorians would have to get used to the idea that watching their team in a grand final costs a fortune

Bit like we have.

Somehow I doubt the league would see it that way when their sponsors & AFL members kick up the shits about not being able to get a flight at any price.

If 10K people traveling one way taxes the network, they is no way 40K can go the other way, and without that, the AFL will never have a GF in Perth.

I think you are a few years behind with that comment.
Or are you still campaigning for the Save Our Skins fund to which I have already donated to back in 1990 or so.

Are you still taking money from the TV rights your club would contribute very little to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its one of the best attempts at a compromise i've seen. I like it "in theory" but the issue I have is VIC teams giving up future home games for just following the path. They didn't "decide" to play at the MCG so shouldn't have to "pay" to do so.

I think the best way to solve this dilemma is making sure every team during the H&A gets a suitable amount of games at the MCG. Cant have teams playing 12 games there and others playing 3, thats the real issue.

Still wont happen.
Without getting to deep, your argument of Richmond not deciding argument seems similar to other societal issues we face today

Fair enough, but considering the advantage non Vic clubs having during the H&A due to them having a genuine home ground advantage, giving them a higher position on the ladder going into finals, and thus more home finals in the first place then Vic teams that finish within 2 places of them should get the home final regardless.

Or is this just another 'only our disadvantages count and need to be made up for' thread?
This logic is hard to follow.

We get 10 home games against interstate opposition which are negated by 10 away games against interstate opposition. Thus what you consider a genuine home ground advantage becomes a genuine away ground disadvantage. Net result to us is 0.

Similarly, melb teams get a 50/50 for all games played against other melb teams, a disadvantage when playing interstate (and perhaps in Geelong) and an advantage when playing interstate teams at home. If they play the same amount of games interstate as they host interstate teams then the net result should be 0. The only teams that can be on the advantage side of that ledger are vic teams who get to host interstate teams more than they fly interstate.

I can't work out why you see the genuine home advantage we get but not the genuine away disadvantage.

BTW, teams like Pies, Blues, Roos and Tiges have a big following in WA and a lot of support at Subi. It's not as one sided as when we play you over there.

I dont think anyone with a brain thinks you can do a granny on the fly

The sensible suggestions revolve around rotating it

So you might get e.g. Melbourne v St.Kilda in Perth one year and Freo v West Coast in Sydney the next. A couple of years like that would only diminish the event.

No, long term averages have non Vic teams winning noticeably more than they lose.

Since 2000, they've won 16 more...which isn't much admittedly, but when consider that includes GC & GWS which have lost more than 100 games more than they've won, the stats for the other 6 teams are clearly pretty solidly on the plus side.

Since 2000, I have interstate teams winning a total of 1345 games and Victorian teams winning a total of 1946, not including Gold Coast and GWS.

Which means, interstate teams have won an average of 224 games and Victorian teams an average of 195. That is a pretty big difference, but I think it's also slightly problematic to argue that, because it's pretty clear interstate teams enjoyed a very good decade from 2000-2009. Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Adelaide and Sydney all enjoyed immensely successful decades win-wise.

From 2010-2017, interstate teams have average 91 wins, as compared to Victorian teams averaging 90 (again not including GWS and Gold Coast). I just don't really see enough to justify the argument that interstate teams enjoy a major advantage in the home & away season.

Again we have a higher ranked team playing an away gf.

Its not a fair solution - but you have to love the idea of a granny at the g - its an amazing venue.

So i was thinking - how can we even it up - and i thought - well you can trade future picks - why cant you trade future home finals.

And there it is - win lose or draw - after this weekend - richmond owe adelaide a home final.

So if next year richmond finish ABOVE adelaide - and the two meet in a final - they play in adelaide.

Evens things up a bit not 100% but better than nothing - keeps the g as a gf venue.

Tadaaaaa

Hit me up with more conundrums - im an ideas man.
The closest solution to fairness would be to kick all co-tenants off the G and try and give all teams the same number of games at the G during the H&A. Either that or build another stadium in Vic which would be home to those 4 teams and only play at the G for the GF. A bit like how Wembley was used for the FA cup prior to Tottenham moving in.

Anyway it will never happen and pushing for the GF to be shared around the states is just as likely.

This logic is hard to follow.

We get 10 home games against interstate opposition which are negated by 10 away games against interstate opposition. Thus what you consider a genuine home ground advantage becomes a genuine away ground disadvantage. Net result to us is 0.

Similarly, melb teams get a 50/50 for all games played against other melb teams, a disadvantage when playing interstate (and perhaps in Geelong) and an advantage when playing interstate teams at home. If they play the same amount of games interstate as they host interstate teams then the net result should be 0. The only teams that can be on the advantage side of that ledger are vic teams who get to host interstate teams more than they fly interstate.

I can't work out why you see the genuine home advantage we get but not the genuine away disadvantage.

BTW, teams like Pies, Blues, Roos and Tiges have a big following in WA and a lot of support at Subi. It's not as one sided as when we play you over there.

Which is the bigger advantage?

A team going to a venue they travel to/see (on average) less than once a year? or
A team going to a venue they play at several times a year (on average), in a city they visit 4 or 5 times a year?

As mentioned, the non Vic teams have, over a long period, won noticeably more than they've lost....Either they're just naturally superior (even more so if they're disadvantaged by the 'evil VFL'), or they actually have the advantage.

The closest solution to fairness would be to kick all co-tenants off the G and try and give all teams the same number of games at the G during the H&A. Either that or build another stadium in Vic which would be home to those 4 teams and only play at the G for the GF. A bit like how Wembley was used for the FA cup prior to Tottenham moving in.

Anyway it will never happen and pushing for the GF to be shared around the states is just as likely.
Yours is the perfect plan - but as you said - never going to happen

Mine is really easy - a simple solution to a problem that costs nothing and shows that problems are listened to.

Which is the bigger advantage?

A team going to a venue they travel to/see (on average) less than once a year? or
A team going to a venue they play at several times a year (on average), in a city they visit 4 or 5 times a year?

As mentioned, the non Vic teams have, over a long period, won noticeably more than they've lost....Either they're just naturally superior (even more so if they're disadvantaged by the 'evil VFL'), or they actually have the advantage.
Great - now remind me again of where the only game thats worth a pinch of s**t is played?

Would it happen to be your home ground

Where we are lucky to play once a year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back