Movie Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched it. I enjoyed it, thought the acting was excellent and the ending violence brilliant.

I felt it struggled narratively from a thematic point of view, in that it lacked a clear story to tell, until I began to appreciate the hippies as representative of a changing America and, by killing them, Cliff and Dalton defeat their demons that have arisen due to a changing Hoolywood that has left them in the past. You can see at the end DiCaprio feels more at peace and appreciated. I think if you take that view, it ties the whole story together and really caps it off.

Not in the top 4 QT's but I enjoyed it more than the Kill Bills or Django

Last edited:
It should be noted that the Bruce Lee scene was literally a day dream from Cliff's perspective. I get the Lee family being upset but we have to remember Tarantino isn't adverse to doing things like warped perspective or unreliable narration so it's fair to say what we saw was an idealistic memory of Cliff's.
Hmm interesting take, I didn't pick that up but you're right.

The scene didn't sit well with me as a Huge Lee fan but that does make it slightly more understandable

Saw it on the weekend with wife, loved it. I'm a bit of a sucker for anything from that era. I was surprised sitting in the lounge before the film, the amount of people talking who had no idea about Tate and Manson etc. One couple had brought there 10 year old kid along who who had no inkling of anything.

I think having some prior knowledge of the incidents adds to the film. A lot more tension towards the ending. Overall, thought it was great.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saw it on the weekend with wife, loved it. I'm a bit of a sucker for anything from that era. I was surprised sitting in the lounge before the film, the amount of people talking who had no idea about Tate and Manson etc. One couple had brought there 10 year old kid along who who had no inkling of anything.

I think having some prior knowledge of the incidents adds to the film. A lot more tension towards the ending. Overall, thought it was great.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Spot on - having known a fair bit about the Tate murders made this movie even more intriguing. Particularly how QT treated the Manson family was even more gleeful.

It should be noted that the Bruce Lee scene was literally a day dream from Cliff's perspective. I get the Lee family being upset but we have to remember Tarantino isn't adverse to doing things like warped perspective or unreliable narration so it's fair to say what we saw was an idealistic memory of Cliff's.

I couldnt help but laugh when I found out what the contreversy was about as I avoided until I saw the film. One of the dumbest things ive heard. I love bruce lee but have his family even seen the context of it. They prob just didnt get paid enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tried to watch it twice now and although not the worst movie I've seen I did have to go and throw on Pulp to get the bad taste out of my mouth and make sure I wasn't just being moody...

It's intriguing and visually spot on era wise but the editing is just a step too far in self indulgence for me personally, having huge lingering scenes trying to shove way too much stylisation down throats rather than structure and cohesion (Yes I know it's a Tarantino movie but he genuinely links his quirks up much more strategically).

Kinda left me with a what a waste feeling.

5/10

Pulp
Django
Reservoir D's
IGB
Jackie Brown
H8
Death Proof
OUATIH

Maybe I haven't got the Tarantino gene anymore through falling back more on Guy Ritchie movies as a stylized goto, i don't know, but I'm well versed in Manson stuff and i still stuggled with the message and coincidences...

For mine the biggest problem is there isn’t a driving force behind the film. It just floats without purpose. Pitts character seems rather content with his place in the world so the existential dread of Di Caprio isn’t carried through the whole film. I also thought Pitts character seemed too in control for the tension to reach great heights at the ranch scene. It’s a nice film with the climax being the only exceptional and truly Tarantino-esque thing about it.

Tried to watch it twice now and although not the worst movie I've seen I did have to go and throw on Pulp to get the bad taste out of my mouth and make sure I wasn't just being moody...

It's intriguing and visually spot on era wise but the editing is just a step too far in self indulgence for me personally, having huge lingering scenes trying to shove way too much stylisation down throats rather than structure and cohesion (Yes I know it's a Tarantino movie but he genuinely links his quirks up much more strategically).

Kinda left me with a what a waste feeling.

5/10

Pulp
Django
Reservoir D's
IGB
Jackie Brown
H8
Death Proof
OUATIH

Maybe I haven't got the Tarantino gene anymore through falling back more on Guy Ritchie movies as a stylized goto, i don't know, but I'm well versed in Manson stuff and i still stuggled with the message and coincidences...
Could have definitely trimmed down a few lingering scenes, such as driving or walking for sure

Nailed it! The driving overload was when i started to drift out a bit, I think he was going for music selection exposure maybe because there was just no other point to it except to blow out the run time...
I think he just wanted to linger in the 60's version of Hollywood he created which, by all reports, was very accurate.

I think he just wanted to linger in the 60's version of Hollywood he created which, by all reports, was very accurate.

He was playing with the jump cuts as well. The driving jump cut was popularised in Breathless (1960), so it was very much of the time but I found it a little jarring which is probably why they aren’t used outside of horror much.

I try to go into movies now ignoring trailers, reviews and online info. This kind of backfired here, as I completely agree with everyone who has said you'd get a lot more out of this film with a good understanding of the context of the events and plot. The climax lacked a bit of weight for me because of this, but I reckon on re-watch I'll find it an instant classic. Beautifully put together and the acting/cast is grouse.

I try to go into movies now ignoring trailers, reviews and online info. This kind of backfired here, as I completely agree with everyone who has said you'd get a lot more out of this film with a good understanding of the context of the events and plot. The climax lacked a bit of weight for me because of this, but I reckon on re-watch I'll find it an instant classic. Beautifully put together and the acting/cast is grouse.
Funny that you say this - my first watch of Inglorius Basterds was really underwhelming, as was Django and Kill Bill. However, after rewatching, they got a whole lot better and I appreciated them a lot more.

My take is that its called Once Upon a Time in Hollywood because its a fairy tale. Came out of it thinking i was never bored and i want to see it again ASAP.
I think its a classic rewatchable like IB is. I will reserve my judgement on where it comes on my Tarantino list til after i see it again a few times. At the moment still top 5. Hateful 8 was horrendous so i am glad he is back in some sort of form.

I didn't know anything about the Tate murders going in, so when Kurt Russel is running through everything Tate and co were doing and the time periods I'm like, what is the significance here, obviously the hippes were there to kill them but without knowing they were actually killed the alternate history side of it falls flat.

I just got back from seeing this.

It was decent but I found it to be overlong and too self indulgent.

The acting from the two leads was great but pitt and dicaprio are pretty much always fantastic.

Margot robbie is a smokeshow no more needs ro be said really.

The movie felt kinda pointless, it didn't really know where or what it was doing , it just felt like tarantino was showing off at how much of a good filmaker he is most of the time, of which he is no doubt.

The ending was great but it was a but of a slog to get to it, I checked the time a couple of times which is not a good sign.

Overall i felt it was an extremely well made movie with not much going on, he made the mundane watchable I guess and maybe that's what he was going for

I can see this becoming a cult classic though and will probably be the best made/directed film you'll see for the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back