Opinion One club - thoughts?

Thoughts on Collingwood fielding teams in women’s AFL / Netball / Wheelchair comps?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you on this. Better to have a collingwood team than a melbourne storm or some round ball entity.

Trying to make an argument against it, I think there can be a problem if we dont do it well. I think the women's team and the netball seemed to be done initially on buying the best team. I dont know much about netball, but we had all these all-australian netballers and they didnt seem to gel. The initial squad with the AFLW also seemed to target mature players who knew the game but had no upside. It looked to me like approaches someone might take if they had a wad of money and just wanted to make a few headlines.

I just had a look at the netball ladder - i take no interest - and we are 4th out of 8. They're in the finals. Thats not bad. The AFLW seems to have finally got a longer term vision and framework together, but what would I know.

The collingwood teams need to reflect a committed approach and some professionalism or they do nothing to enhance the club overall - in fact, I think there's an argument that they undermine it to some extent.
Agreed with the analysis of getting best players and trying to make a team. I think we have been quite opportunistic in this regard.
Regarding the undermining, I haven't heard any reports that the lack of success of the various womens team is affecting the men's team.
That Collingwood as an organisation can do things a bit more professional, that is not news though.
So overall, not the doom and gloom as it was made out to be.

Agreed with the analysis of getting best players and trying to make a team. I think we have been quite opportunistic in this regard.
Regarding the undermining, I haven't heard any reports that the lack of success of the various womens team is affecting the men's team.
That Collingwood as an organisation can do things a bit more professional, that is not news though.
So overall, not the doom and gloom as it was made out to be.

I might have worded it better, but I meant that it was lack of planning and opportunistic behaviour in the establishment of these teams, not that they weren't successful. The club seem to have put the process into meg hutchins hands. I dont know that for a fact. Just the impression I got. The result was a team that relied too much on players in their final years. The approach with the netball seemed to be getting as many of the australian team as possible - short term stuff. It reminds me a little of the establishment of the collingwood soccer team a while back. Mad scrambles to get a piece of the action, because other AFL teams are getting involved..... or there's gov't money in it. I'm saying this is an impression from a distance. I have no connection to the club. No special insights. Just observing what the club was doing. I was saying that unprofessional behaviour like that can undermine the club....not the fact that the teams are losing. Losing is probably a good indication that the strategy is wrong, but if there was a good longterm strategy with the AFLW team, then it would have been ok to have losses in the early years. The strategy at the start, or lack of it, delivered nothing in the short term and longterm pain.

You would have thought that Alex Waislitz - our vice president and corporate highflier - would have made sure that the planning for these initiatives would be first class...

The club seem to have put the process into meg hutchins hands. I dont know that for a fact. Just the impression I got.

I do know this as fact (I was told by a club official)

The approach with the netball seemed to be getting as many of the australian team as possible ...

Again, I know for a fact this was the case (I was told by the same club official) but I could easily imagine that was the strategy of all teams.

I find it hard to criticize these aspects about how the club went about it.

In the case of the AFLW, setting up a competition and their teams from scratch there’s no benefit of experience to draw upon. Nobody could have foreseen how things have turned out. (Eg: extent to which junior girls have come into the competition and done well).

Tbh I only really take notice or care for the Collingwood AFL and VFL team (mens for those who need the separation).

The rest of it I'm neither here nor there on really. Great if they do well but I don't take any real interest in it aflw, netball etc.

I do know this as fact (I was told by a club official)

Again, I know for a fact this was the case (I was told by the same club official) but I could easily imagine that was the strategy of all teams.

I find it hard to criticize these aspects about how the club went about it.

In the case of the AFLW, setting up a competition and their teams from scratch there’s no benefit of experience to draw upon. Nobody could have foreseen how things have turned out. (Eg: extent to which junior girls have come into the competition and done well).

AFLW - it's difficult for the Pies to have the same broad knowledge that Melb or WB had at the time, but I would argue that it's a conflict of interest situation to have meg hutchins picking the team and then playing in it. Once again, it's easy to be critical after the fact, but it gives me the impression that the club didnt care about establishing a "program" but was more concerned with lets get it up and running and then we'll suck it and see.

Netball - Again it was hard for the Pies to compete against the Swifts etc who had established programs. I have little knowledge of how the Pies went about it, I am just saying that it didnt strike me as a long-term program.

The overall feeling that I got with these two programs was that the club wanted to get something up and running, as if the main worry was missing the boat. It seems to have settled down and the club appears to be acting more professionally. My worry was that one or more of these programs would hit a hole and fall in a heap and make the whole club look inept.

AFLW - it's difficult for the Pies to have the same broad knowledge that Melb or WB had at the time, but I would argue that it's a conflict of interest situation to have meg hutchins picking the team and then playing in it. Once again, it's easy to be critical after the fact, but it gives me the impression that the club didnt care about establishing a "program" but was more concerned with lets get it up and running and then we'll suck it and see.

An argument could be made for the very opposite being the problem. Perhaps we took the AFLW too seriously, tried to adopt the men’s gameplan and things from the men’s competition when the standard of the women’s comp just wasn’t up to it?

Netball - Again it was hard for the Pies to compete against the Swifts etc who had established programs. I have little knowledge of how the Pies went about it, I am just saying that it didnt strike me as a long-term program.

We made finals in our first season, not a bad effort?

An argument could be made for the very opposite being the problem. Perhaps we took the AFLW too seriously, tried to adopt the men’s gameplan and things from the men’s competition when the standard of the women’s comp just wasn’t up to it?

We made finals in our first season, not a bad effort?

You could make arguments for and against. Especially at the micro level. Generally speaking, it looked like we went into these ventures half-arsed because we felt like we would look like losers if we didnt have a team. It didnt feel like we had our hearts in them. That's my concern. Just an impression. I can't argue it legalistically because I dont know the details. As I said earlier, probably good for funding that we got in. Probably good for equity reasons. Probably good to counter gripes about being elitist as the only team in the multinational car centre.

In terms of the teams I take a genuine interest in, it’s only the AFL side and to a much lesser extent, the AFLW side. But with them, my interest is strictly limited to their season. Nothing beyond that.

Having all these teams doesn’t take away from the AFL side as some tend to believe so cool, have at it I guess.

I read an article in the last few days about the darebin women's AFL sporting club thing. A real pioneer in women's footy.... located in Preston and/or Northcote. I dont know the affiliations of the various parties, but I was wondering why we couldnt strike up a relationship with this club initially. The club is strongly independent and focused on women running the show....which might have clashed with people at the Pies. To me, it would have provided some grassroots support to our women's program. Now the Falcons are competitors to our VFLW team so the moment has passed. The fact that this club is in our traditional area indicates to me that an opportunity might have been lost.... but as I said, what do i know.. The article said that daisy pearce had a strong presence there and other prominent AFLW players as well because darebin had been so successful in the last decade. Maybe Darebin had ties to Melbourne.
On brighter news, it just started pouring down here and I was going to do some gardening....oh well...such is life

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the one club mentality, the different teams in the different codes is great for the brand but excluding the men’s AFL side, I have no real interest in what they’re doing on the field. I’ll keep an eye on the women’s team but don’t feel disgruntled when they lose.

Back