Votes: 50 43.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • I Don't Think It Will Happen

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone honestly say that the game last night was good, that they enjoyed it. Passionless, just basically a waste of time.
The broadcasters may find few viewers if the next games are like that

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honestly it was just nice to try and shut the brain off for a couple of hours, jarred back to reality when a lot of the adverts were about the virus though. I don't know how the players did that, I am an emotional and physical wreck.

Just got to try and appreciate it as a (hopefully) historic novelty, like playing a World Cup on the Moon or something.

It does feel weird. No ambience. Pre-game and post-game will surely see drop in ratings, as the feeling is weird, but during game you can get caught up in the competitive spirit of the players.

Like the running Rioli goal with seconds left last night would have seen the cheer squad greet him with a deafening cheer. Instead, nothing.

Just a strange situation. I liked having a game on last night, and I'll watch the cats Saturday. But in the grand scheme of things I can't believe the AFL chose to start the season this week. For the largest sport in Australia to go against the what's happening in society, it isn't setting a good example. Players shaking hands after the game and huddling up to sing the song when the public are being told to not do those things to stop the spread is very counter productive. The AFL is very visible and influential over people, people see that and think it's okay. I think it just shows the casual nature of how the situation is being viewed. If people and organisations don't take this seriously enough we could end up in the mess we're seeing in Italy. Life will be a little different for a while, it should include no footy for the time being.

The shackles were off in regards to attack. The low tackle numbers suggest this also.
Multiple times players were loose ahead of the ball and that doesn't happen often in modern footy anymore.

The players still worked super hard, most likely because the quarters were shorter.

The high scoring nature was entertaining and I'll be honest, I let out at audible 'look out!' when Newnes kicked that goal in the last quarter.

Was still fun being an avid SuperCoach player.

I feel if you love the sport above all else, it really shouldn't have any affect on your enjoyment.
If you follow your team only and don't give a crap about anyone else then the lack of crowd involvement for a neutral game would probably result in you watching Netflix.

Just a strange situation. I liked having a game on last night, and I'll watch the cats Saturday. But in the grand scheme of things I can't believe the AFL chose to start the season this week. For the largest sport in Australia to go against the what's happening in society, it isn't setting a good example. Players shaking hands after the game and huddling up to sing the song when the public are being told to not do those things to stop the spread is very counter productive. The AFL is very visible and influential over people, people see that and think it's okay. I think it just shows the casual nature of how the situation is being viewed. If people and organisations don't take this seriously enough we could end up in the mess we're seeing in Italy. Life will be a little different for a while, it should include no footy for the time being.

Respectfully disagree with pretty much every point you raised.
The 'social distancing' advisement is overkill in my opinion depending on the circumstances.
Elderly people? Sure, stay away. Kids? I guess. Drunk strangers? May as well.
Footy players mostly spending time with healthy, similarly aged young men who are fit, strong athletes? Much lower risk. Changing all our behaviours will decimate our society quicker than this virus will. A virus with a low mortality rate that is.

Footy is on. It was needed. Last night I felt like that scene in the Shawshank Redemption when they got to enjoy a beer on the roof after a days work. 'We felt like free men'. Normal life resumed for two hours. The mental health of many received a huge boost and that's what is most important.

The 'social distancing' advisement is overkill in my opinion depending on the circumstances.
Footy players mostly spending time with healthy, similarly aged young men who are fit, strong athletes? Much lower risk. Changing all our behaviours will decimate our society quicker than this virus will. A virus with a low mortality rate that is.

Footy is on. It was needed. Last night I felt like that scene in the Shawshank Redemption when they got to enjoy a beer on the roof after a days work. 'We felt like free men'. Normal life resumed for two hours. The mental health of many received a huge boost and that's what is most important.

I agree that it was nice to have some footy on TV, but I just don't think it's appropriate right now. Making decisions to try and combat this thing can't be circumstantial, if we make allowances for some aspects of society and not the other then lines become blurred, people don't know what they can and can't do. If footballers contract the virus and it spreads through the AFL, all of them will be okay and live. So yes players are very low risk, but that's not the point. The situation is bigger than footy at the moment and everyone needs to try and do their bit to try and stop this thing getting out of control, we will be in a lockdown soon. Footy is not exempt from this and if that means no games for 4, 6, 10 weeks or longer then so be it. Life is different for the time being and we need to adapt to that.

I agree that it was nice to have some footy on TV, but I just don't think it's appropriate right now. Making decisions to try and combat this thing can't be circumstantial, if we make allowances for some aspects of society and not the other then lines become blurred, people don't know what they can and can't do. If footballers contract the virus and it spreads through the AFL, all of them will be okay and live. So yes players are very low risk, but that's not the point. The situation is bigger than footy at the moment and everyone needs to try and do their bit to try and stop this thing getting out of control, we will be in a lockdown soon. Footy is not exempt from this and if that means no games for 4, 6, 10 weeks or longer then so be it. Life is different for the time being and we need to adapt to that.

Lockdown will destroy more lives than Covid-19 ever could. Mental health will remain this nation's biggest health concern during and after this is over.
I am completely against a blanket lockdown for the whole country, although I am aware I may be in the minority on that.

Footy being on keeps hope in the minds of the fragile. It is in the country's best interests that is continues to be played to promote all we consider normal.

I am looking forward to seeing that other than the enhanced TV coverage that AFL games look very much like second tier games with no crowds.
Crowds make footy great and all the reasons why people no longer attend State League footy will be in clear view this weekend.

Well of course it does if you ignore the fact that they run faster and farther, hit harder and have better skills. You could say the same for any sport in the world. Imagine the Olympics with no crowds! Why, the swimmers would look no better than the lap laners at my local pool!

Like an all stars gamw
The shackles were off in regards to attack. The low tackle numbers suggest this also.
Multiple times players were loose ahead of the ball and that doesn't happen often in modern footy anymore.

The players still worked super hard, most likely because the quarters were shorter.

The high scoring nature was entertaining and I'll be honest, I let out at audible 'look out!' when Newnes kicked that goal in the last quarter.

Was still fun being an avid SuperCoach player.

I feel if you love the sport above all else, it really shouldn't have any affect on your enjoyment.
If you follow your team only and don't give a crap about anyone else then the lack of crowd involvement for a neutral game would probably result in you watching Netflix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read any of the stats from the US. 38% of hospitalizations are in the young adult age.

Back