Movie One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest (1975)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Adapted from Ken Kesey's book with the same name. Milos Forman directs. Jack Nicholson plays R.P. McMurphy who checks into a mental hospital to avoid hard labour in prison. He soon comes into conflict with Nurse Ratched, played by Louise Fletcher, as he goes against her repressive regime with the inmates.

There are so many great scenes and performances. The world series baseball, the Christmas party, my personal favourite is the day out on the bus and the fishing trip. Lots of other great scenes. It really takes you through the whole range of emotions.

It swept the board at the Oscars.

9/10.

Adapted from Ken Kesey's book with the same name. Milos Forman directs. Jack Nicholson plays R.P. McMurphy who checks into a mental hospital to avoid hard labour in prison. He soon comes into conflict with Nurse Ratched, played by Louise Fletcher, as he goes against her repressive regime with the inmates.

There are so many great scenes and performances. The world series baseball, the Christmas party, my personal favourite is the day out on the bus and the fishing trip. Lots of other great scenes. It really takes you through the whole range of emotions.

It swept the board at the Oscars.

9/10.

First film to win the top five:

Best Film
Best Director
Best Screenplay (either original or adapted)
Best Actor
Best Actress

Has since been matched by The Silence of the Lambs.

I saw this in 1976 in Times Square New York. New releases would take ages
to arrive in Australia in those days. It was noon and hot as Hell so the air
conditioned theatre was a nice respite from the heat.

Apparently a lot of the hookers from Times Square and 42nd St had the
same idea. It was the most riotous experience I'd had at the pictures. The
hookers were screaming and yelling at the screen like they were at home.

Good film but the audience were a little distracting! I'll never forget that day.

Broadly the conflict of individuals vs establishment and the correctional institution as the system brought the normies in, but at its heart the film is very performance-driven and being from the Czech New Wave, Miloš underpins the crowd-pleasing beats with his visual storytelling. Foreshadowing, juxtaposition, long shots and natural lighting were all pretty trendy at the time, but as an actor-oriented director, he cuts between tight frames, wide group shots and unbalanced compositions to enhance the performances. Haskell Wexler claims over 90% of the film still used his shots in spite of being fired, but there are some observable motifs for Butler. Obviously it's a showcase for Jack as a charismatic statutory rapist and the breakout for Louise Fletcher, but it had a pretty significant supporting cast with Syd Lassick, Brad Dourif, Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd.

Speaking of the cast, Milos Forman cast Vincent Schiavelli in many of his best works, including Taking Off, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, The People vs. Larry Flynt, Valmont, and Man on the Moon.

vs.jpg

Schiavelli also had a small but memorable role in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Now there's a film that's worth a thread of its own - EASILY the best of the teen coming of age films, with a stupendous performance by Sean Penn. Here he is with Vincent Schiavelli.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back