One for the true nerds

Remove this Banner Ad

GasometerCourage

Senior List
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does anyone know the name of the typeface used in the VFL logos that started in the 70s?

It's some kind of 70s infused art deco number, and I've seen it in a handful of other places, but can't find the font online to save my life.

Fitzroy-Logo-1977.gif

North-logo-1977.gif

Dunno, but I love those old logos! They were probably not computer fonts as such, but in the 70s i'd imagine they'd have been hand drawn by a designer without a computer....

I love those old logo's...
Has anyone got them for all the clubs?

Ahhh...brings back memories of the old Scanlen's Footy Cards and Stickers (plus indigestible stick of powdery gum)

Ahhh...brings back memories of the old Scanlen's Footy Cards and Stickers (plus indigestible stick of powdery gum)

I never did manage to get that Rene Kink card I wanted either.......

yeah, please someone post, would love a trip down memory lane. Those logos kick ass over the current ones!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GasometerCourage, i'd PM Mero if i were you.

He redrew all thee fantastic vintage logos in this thread, so he would definately know what font he used!

BTW you can see more of these logos on his website, www.footyjumpers.com
See the second post.

I sent Mero the link of this thread at the time, he hadn't been on for a couple of weeks.

It appears the closest match would be - CCEuphoria-Solid

Yeah, I was going to say that James. As soon as I saw the treatment of the A, thats what I thought.

Why do you need the font for GasometerCourage?

I must admit I have never seen that Geelong one before. When did they change it to the "crouching cat" one?

Hawthorn's and North's (and South Melbourne/Sydney) also changed sometime in the 1980s.

EDIT: 1983 according to Mero's site. Much more menacing than the earlier one!

I forgot how great some of those logo's were!
BUT I also forgot how crap some are...

1. The Geelong one ~ looks like the pussy is rapping
2. The Saints one ~ looks like the logo meeting took a few minutes
3. The Demons ~ looks like George Michael

which smelt beautiful and left a fine coat of powder on the top card.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back