Science/Environment One in five USA households with children don't have enough food

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet somehow the poor still manage to find money for booze and cigarettes.

Absolutely, this is a problem in Australia and that also fuels domestic violence. I have a friend who has been on newstart for almost about 15 years and always whinges about how he has to be live on rice and lentils, yet has footy membership, netflix, foxtel and almost always stocked up on booze etc. It's all about priorities. Unfortunately for many their priorities are ******

Yet somehow the poor still manage to find money for booze and cigarettes.

Cigarettes function as a hunger suppressant, and the addiction level of nicotine is at the same levels as hunger is.

Absolutely, this is a problem in Australia and that also fuels domestic violence. I have a friend who has been on newstart for almost about 15 years and always whinges about how he has to be live on rice and lentils, yet has footy membership, netflix, foxtel and almost always stocked up on booze etc. It's all about priorities. Unfortunately for many their priorities are ******

It is perfectly "normal" for people with "no hope" to pursue short term stimulus and dysfunctional behaviour

sadly this compounds the problem

They smoke because they are addicted, and thus they are better able to ignore their hunger.

Was that difficult to follow?

sorry mate but that doesn't add up

people smoke due to poor decision making skills, inability to manage stress, an attempt to be social, weakness in character, addiction etc

Tobacco companies have always kept the price of their product as low as possible because they know that it is the working class who primarily smoke and who then become addicted. Customers for life!
It infuriates them that tobacco products have recently been taxed so much.

Last edited:
sorry mate but that doesn't add up

people smoke due to poor decision making skills, inability to manage stress, an attempt to be social, weakness in character, addiction etc
... initially, before they become addicted. Then, they smoke because of the habit.

Take note, I'm not saying that people who are poor will choose to smoke over eating. I'm saying that cigarettes satisfy a different urge that is just as strong, and kills the worst of your hunger at the same time. Not a conscious thing, but still a factor.

But really taxing your fellow man in such a matter .............. is that right ?
Could be right to do it to yourself next. your $4 coffee goes to say $44 everywhere you can buy it. you see where that could lead.
straight hitler stuff.

But really taxing your fellow man in such a matter .............. is that right ?
Could be right to do it to yourself next. your $4 coffee goes to say $44 everywhere you can buy it. you see where that could lead.
straight hitler stuff.

90 percent of Indians ( consumer capitalism) work in the non formal economy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The booze often can be an escape. This isn't anywhere near the ideal solution to where someone might be at in life, but I'd say though personal experience alone that alcohol IS a coping mechanism that can help you get through the night.

India has a GST though - ranging from between 5 - 28% depending on the G&S.

True, and folk working cashies would pay that GST on goods and services that they buy with their untaxed 'informal' wages. The taxman still gets his shiny rupee in the end. To tell the truth, I have bugger all idea how the Indian economy works. I just understand the term 'informal economy' to mean either cash-in-hand or bartering. Both pretty hard to tax.

True, and folk working cashies would pay that GST on goods and services that they buy with their untaxed 'informal' wages. The taxman still gets his shiny rupee in the end. To tell the truth, I have bugger all idea how the Indian economy works. I just understand the term 'informal economy' to mean either cash-in-hand or bartering. Both pretty hard to tax.

I guess the reason why India is India, is because the economy doesn't really work. It is suggested the economy is actually 2 or 3 times larger than the stated economy, which provides some indication of the tax not collected.

That said, who wants to pay tax when the tax revenue is effectively stolen through kick backs and other fraudulent activities.

The Indian government has made moves banning larger currency denominations in an attempt to the informal economy but it will be far more successful spending money on infrastructure, health and education services. If the tax payer feels they are getting something in return, they are more likely to participate in the formal economy.

One interesting issue that has helped India collect tax from its largest business is the on going military battles with China. India is arming itself fast and moved to the 4th most powerful military with elite assets such as aircraft carriers. It is interesting the threat of war has the wealthy reaching into their pockets and paying tax.

You call welfare "sitdown money"

oh lol BBoy................this post demonstrates why you're a s**t bloke

please quote the original post and let everyone see the s**t that you create in your weird arse head of yours

recreating history, changing goal posts and jumping from one issue to another to justify your madness

go on and quote the post the original post you replied to...........have some integrity for once

Remove this Banner Ad

Back