AFL Autopsy One of the worst losses of the year vs weagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Even based on general play that should have been a comfortable win, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over finishing 16th or 15th. I couldn't care less about that. Sure West Coast are ageing, but was the named side objectively stronger than West Coast's side? I don't think it was. Considering West Coast pushed Geelong last week, this is more of a shrug shoulder type of loss rather than an infuriating loss. Being equal bottom of the ladder doesn't really mean much when you've been fielding WAFL-level players because of COVID protocols and injuries for the first half of the year.
It looks to me like you're both in furious agreement.

Objectively speaking, this was nowhere near the worst loss. West Coast were close to full strength with an experienced team and Essendon still dominated general play. Without checking, I'd say West Coast named an older and more experienced side.

Geelong, Sydney and Fremantle were bad losses. It wasn't a great game, but this is not the West Coast that got thrashed by 100 points.

I will say however that I hope this game is the end of not playing a genuine KPD.
The club will be telling itself the same thing.

Excuses, excuses, learnings and more excuses.

Giving up 107 points to the Eagles of all teams is criminal, the game plan is not up to it and the coaches need to take responsibility and go back to the drawing board.

Of course the players have been to blame in parts this year but the team structure employed by the coaches is just not sustainable in trying to stop opposition scores.
I disagree.

There were many times last night West Coast had to go side to side not being able to slice us up quickly.

There were periods our players were playing to system well and showed it does work. It only takes a few players to make mistakes and a few lapses at this level for the opposition to take advantage.

If anything I thought we showed real improvement in patches that indicate our players are starting to get it. I’ll take that improvement in system over scrambled effort wins as they mean nothing long term.

Next is to get them doing it for longer and longer until it becomes habitual.

Objectively speaking, this was nowhere near the worst loss. West Coast were close to full strength with an experienced team and Essendon still dominated general play. Without checking, I'd say West Coast named an older and more experienced side.

Geelong, Sydney and Fremantle were bad losses. It wasn't a great game, but this is not the West Coast that got thrashed by 100 points.

I will say however that I hope this game is the end of not playing a genuine KPD.
Other than rubbish delivery inside 50 and poor kicking for goal, this is where we lost the game. Like that truck tried something different against St Kilda, but playing a small backline against Kennedy and Darling was a massive risk. Don't mind the small backline if there's only 1 KPF, but 2 experienced KPFs marking and kicking goals killed us last night

Fair enough. I'd lump Worsfold in withe saga and agree it was reactionary. Knights was the wrong choice, but we were probably 12 (and really 24) months later than we should have been moving from Sheeds, the decision to move on wasn't reactionary
I think bomberlegend2007 is talking about Knights' second contract and subsequent sacking. However you mention moving on Sheeds, whilst it was probably always in the works, the execution of it definitely seemed reactionary at the time with the club chasing Michael Voss and not wanting to be jumped by Carlton.

I disagree.

There were many times last night West Coast had to go side to side not being able to slice us up quickly.

There were periods our players were playing to system well and showed it does work. It only takes a few players to make mistakes and a few lapses at this level for the opposition to take advantage.

If anything I thought we showed real improvement in patches that indicate our players are starting to get it. I’ll take that improvement in system over scrambled effort wins as they mean nothing long term.

Next is to get them doing it for longer and longer until it becomes habitual.

The high press is what killed us, not their transitioning of the ball.

It was coast to coast with contested pit stops along the way. :think:

The high press is what killed us, not their transitioning of the ball.

It was coast to coast with contested pit stops along the way. :think:
Seemed odd not to park it for a bit to build a better buffer

Unless we've thrown winning out the window and embrace the picks that come with a year of trial and error

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seemed odd not to park it for a bit to build a better buffer

Unless we've thrown winning out the window and embrace the picks that come with a year of trial and error

It does but I'm not sure it's deliberate, though it would be nice just to see it just for a quarter or so just to see what it would look like.

I'm just happy about the adjustments that have been made that allow us to be at least competive now, you got to take the small wins this year I guess.

One thing that did not help was having McGrath out . What worked last week was having a trio of McGrath , Mass and Hind .
With McGrath out the Eagles really only had to control Mass and we where back to only having Hind as the back half run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back