One past Bulldog to add to our current list

Remove this Banner Ad

Doug Hawkins - the 6/6/6 rules make wingmen more valuable than ever, and the Hawk would dominate. Brilliant on either foot, and just a little bit of mongrel to intimidate the opposition.
Yeah imagine Hawk getting Hunter’s 30 possessions instead of Lachie ( not demeaning Hunter but...) in our high possession game . Left AND right ( wouldn’t get cornered), wouldn’t backtrack, faster, super mark for his size - so often was the kick out target ( sure there was no defensive structures back then, just kick to Hawk v whoever) and would not miss those goals from 30 out. Would have to rein in that “bit” of mongrel though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on.

People forget how skilled this bloke was.

You don't need high markers in your team, just lead out and you'll get hit on the tit.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would love to have Johnno playing, he wasnt called the smiling assassin for nothing. I lost count of how many games he's won off his own boot.

Doesn’t get the same credit as the other 2000s greats but 6 AA, 7 straight years of 40+ goals ( 440 goals in the decade), AA Captain, should have in in the best of the era conversation. Handy upgrade on current small/mid size forwards on our list. Didn’t quite tick the defensive intensity box required today though. Not a big fan of the chase down/ tackle, Johnno.

Steven Kretiuk...made everyone walk taller with his toughness. Would probably get rubbed out pretty easily but I used to love watching him towel up Nathan Buckley like he didn't want to go near the ball.

Steve often won battles against big name players, I vividly recall him giving G.Ablett snr one of his rare towellings at the Western Oval.

Mar 25, 2008
Victoria's Secret HQ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Doesn’t get the same credit as the other 2000s greats but 6 AA, 7 straight years of 40+ goals ( 440 goals in the decade), AA Captain, should have in in the best of the era conversation. Handy upgrade on current small/mid size forwards on our list. Didn’t quite tick the defensive intensity box required today though. Not a big fan of the chase down/ tackle, Johnno.

Could take a grab though Johnno

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Steve often won battles against big name players, I vividly recall him giving G.Ablett snr one of his rare towellings at the Western Oval.
I remember whenever forwards got the better of Crofty or Southern, Kretters would always move over to that rampaging forward and step up and do the job nullifying them

Pretty versatile for just his medium size

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
2008-10 Brian Lake would be handy for our defense, early 2000’s Luke Darcy to ease the load on Tim English, any version of Chris Grant would be right up there for choices in recent years.

But Brad Johnson was my favourite player growing up and I’d love to have him back. He’d be perfect for the modern game as well.

Chris Grant’s the best dogs player I’ve seen.

Slot him in at CHB and we win the flag.

Clone him and Johhno, there’s a 4 peat right there :D

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Clone him and Johhno, there’s a 4 peat right there :D

If we’re going down the Cloning path, surely we throw Bont and Naught in the machine as well. A spine of Naughton Grant Bont Grant Naughton would be handy along with a half forward line of Bont Grant Johnno

Endless

Senior List
Jul 21, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This thread is a mouth-watering fantasy!
Darcy would match up well against any of the current ruckmen and would be deadly resting forward.

johnno 80/20 forward would be a nightmare for opposition coaches
As would Nathan Brown

Lindsay Gilbee is suckling at 95% with smarts

KT played 2 of the greatest seasons by any bulldog (always double-teamed at FF)and is the obvious choice for our forward line.

Turtle is my choice
Consistently brilliant and so so versatile

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This thread is a mouth-watering fantasy!
Darcy would match up well against any of the current ruckmen and would be deadly resting forward.

johnno 80/20 forward would be a nightmare for opposition coaches
As would Nathan Brown

Lindsay Gilbee is suckling at 95% with smarts

KT played 2 of the greatest seasons by any bulldog (always double-teamed at FF)and is the obvious choice for our forward line.

Turtle is my choice
Consistently brilliant and so so versatile

Lindsay Gilbee massively underrated player these days. Whenever I watch games from his era he is always a key contributor in our wins.

One from left field - Les Bamblett ... kicked 51 goals in 1985 (as a foil to Beasley). We would benefit from his flair, creativity and freakish ability around goal. He struggled with injuries after this year, so only the 1985 'Lelly' please.

A heap of his grandkids go to a primary school in the inner north of Melbourne, maybe we should mentor some. It's a pity that clubs look to NT or WA for indigenous players when there's lots of talented kids in state schools here in northern Melbourne. A lot of their rellies played AFL - Wanganeens, Bambletts, Lovetts etc. The western diet hasn't been kind to their growing bodies but they can kick a footy. As can many of the Anglo kids but draftees all come from the private schools these days.

late 2006 vintage Brad Jonners for me, I reckon he was the best player in the comp for a while. The way he played through midfield and forward was amazing, he was an absolute machine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back