One past Bulldog to add to our current list

DogDays

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Melbourne, now Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lindsey Gilbee... not because he was the best player but because he’d compliment the current team better than most. With his delivery into the forward line Naughton would kick 100+ in a season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lindsey Gilbee... not because he was the best player but because he’d compliment the current team better than most. With his delivery into the forward line Naughton would kick 100+ in a season.
LOL.
No player has kicked 90 goals for over a decade let alone 100 goals, and yet adding a Lindsay Gilbee would instantly enable Naughton (2019 avge 1.47 gls/gm = 33 a year) to kick over 100.

I hope that's tongue in cheek, DD!

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have to be Templeton prior to his ACL. Let’s remember he won the goal kicking twice and a Brownlow before he turned 24 and was the best player in the comp in 1980. Unfortunately I believe a degenerative hip issue was his downfall and not the ACL. I am adding and injury free Templeton.

Grant was an amazing CHB and good fwd but he was never close to KT in his prime. He also played under arguably the worse coach of all time coaching us

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On second thoughts I would go for Adrian Campbell. He was just like superboot but a better kick on his left. Was my favourite player before Terry pushed him aside for a skinny bobble head who had the yips kicking for goal. Thought Terry was great but he had his favourites to and Campbell was not one but the great Danny Del re definitely was.

Imagine Bont, Grant, Hawk, Darcy, West, Lake and Johnno all playing at their peak at the same time, in the same team.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have to be Templeton prior to his ACL. Let’s remember he won the goal kicking twice and a Brownlow before he turned 24 and was the best player in the comp in 1980. Unfortunately I believe a degenerative hip issue was his downfall and not the ACL. I am adding and injury free Templeton.

Grant was an amazing CHB and good fwd but he was never close to KT in his prime. He also played under arguably the worse coach of all time coaching us

The sad thing was it was only a medial ligament injury. No surgery required these days and back in 8-10 weeks. In the 80s it was treated as a surgery need and made a big difference to Kelvin’s career. In 21st Century he would have recovered, the medical team would have stopped him from going all “Marcus Adams” with the bulking up and he and Beasley could have become a formidable force if he stayed for 85. Big upgrade on Captain Groenewegen and Neil Peart at CHF. Beasley, Templeton, Edmond, Bamblett, Royal, McPherson ( and Buhagiar and Sewell ) would have been awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cookie

Club Legend
May 2, 2004
Right in front of you
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CreweAlex,SF Giants,Detroit Lions
Imagine Bont, Grant, Hawk, Darcy, West, Lake and Johnno all playing at their peak at the same time, in the same team.

Watching the Bont over the last few weeks has reminded me of Hawkins, and at times, you'd swear it was the Hawk.
There has never been a more skilful player, ever. Malthouse rated him as the best.
If you get a chance, have a look at the 1985 Semi-final against North at the G. Perfection personified. 38 disposals - 25 kicks, 11 marks, 13 handballs, 1 goal, 2 behinds, 4 frees for, 1 against.
Whilst I'm waxing lyrical about players in finals, Danny Del-Re's Qualifying Final in 1992 against Geelong rates a mention. We got absolutely spanked 172 to 111 but Danny had a total of 9 kicks, for 8 goals and 1 behind. Incredible
I ran into him at the 2016 GF and reminded him of that game. He was quite appreciative of my memory and recognition of a remarkable performance.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watching the Bont over the last few weeks has reminded me of Hawkins, and at times, you'd swear it was the Hawk.
There has never been a more skilful player, ever. Malthouse rated him as the best.
If you get a chance, have a look at the 1985 Semi-final against North at the G. Perfection personified. 38 disposals - 25 kicks, 11 marks, 13 handballs, 1 goal, 2 behinds, 4 frees for, 1 against.

Universally acknowledged as one of the best final series performances by anyone. Pity he couldn’t get to the GF to go for the Norm. Had two great battles with Dipper in the two games v Hawks but the North game was unbelievable, including the “point of the year” running through the centre. Helped Beasley get to his 100 in that game too ( yes I ran out on to the ground as an 18 yo). Malthouse continues to love him today. Another champ diminished by a knee injury in the 80s in his prime. Continued to be A great player after 86 but would gave been THE great player without that knee injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
late 2006 vintage Brad Jonners for me, I reckon he was the best player in the comp for a while. The way he played through midfield and forward was amazing, he was an absolute machine
I have said this quite a few times on here, but what Johnno did in the mid 2000’s was as good as any small/medium forward has every played apart from Daicos and Leigh Matthews.

Wynd would be a far superior addition to that list in place of Darcy

Scotty was a better tap ruck however Darcy was far more mobile than the old dinosaur. Dont get me wrong, Scott was a deserved brownlow medalist however I dont know if today's game would suit his speed (or lack thereof)

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Chris Grant. Forward or back. GOAT bulldog.
Brian Harris/Lake. Badly need that backline general.
Barry Hall, alongside Naughton would be formidable.
Luke Darcy rotating with English in the ruck. Knew how to kick a goal too.

Back