Prediction One season too many - Now 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad call. Close to 17 clubs would have queued up for his signature.
Cox is listed as a ruck. And let’s assume that clubs have a lead ruck and either play a second ruck/forward or have a ruck ready to go in the reserves.

3rd line rucks are normally always development players.

With this in mind, this is the list of clubs that I don’t think would be interested in Mason Cox.

Carlton (De Koning, Pittonet)
Essendon (Draper, Goldstein)
Freo (Darcy, Jackson)
GC (Witts, Moyle)
GWS (Briggs, Preuss)
Melbourne (Gawn)
Port (Soldo, Sweet, Visentini)
Richmond (Nankervis, Naismith)
Saints (Marshall)
Swans (Grundy, Ladhams)
Dogs (English, Darcy)

So if I have listed 11 teams that probably wouldn’t be interested, that doesn’t leave many to que for his signature.

At 33, I don’t think he will get another contract.

I doubt Adeliade would make him play out his career in the ressies.. but at some point Adelaide need to play the kids if the losses continue.

Tex looks like a different player to the guy who kicked 76 last year but he's not on his own. Steven May gave him an absolute bath on the weekend.

Walker defenders will argue that its hard to be a good forward when your team is getting flogged.. but Larkey kicked 71 last year and North got flogged most weeks.

Word on the street in Adelaide is Walker has a massive back injury. I’ve heard multiple slipped disks. The guy can’t touch his toes let alone kick 76 in a season.

It’s only round 5 so a long time to go, so don’t write him off yet.

What is a soft jumper tug? Those always get paid and so they should.

We can't comment on the dissent because we don't know what was said and how it was said.

No idea what you are talking about with the Owies 'spooning'.

The Acres holding the ball, he was pushed off the kick. He had his arms out as if to make a tackle, but he never actually made the tackle.
No offence, but I think you might want this one:

1712898189668.png

How is Goldy doing I haven’t seen any Bombers games?

Feel like he’s been around forever.
Destroyed English. Did the same in Brads last game in 2019.
Still finished but then he pulls out a game like this which he is capable of once or twice a year.

Destroyed English. Did the same in Brads last game in 2019.
Still finished but then he pulls out a game like this which he is capable of once or twice a year.
Nah Goldy has remained alright in his post-twilight years.

Could be the first 50 year old ruckman in the AFL.

English is young enough to be his son and it was a proper father/son lesson last night.

Nah Goldy has remained alright in his post-twilight years.

Could be the first 50 year old ruckman in the AFL.

English is young enough to be his son and it was a proper father/son lesson last night.
To be fair, English isn’t a ruck.
Bulldogs have ****ed any potential of their talls.

I know. Just feel his best football is full forward. Too much of a weapon with his elite marking.
Just think the mixture of talls is wrong for Western Bulldogs. Naughton should be CHB. Just my opinion
I disagree. English is a ruck, who can rest up forward. In the same mould as what Gawn can.

The Dogs have JUH, Naughton and Darcy. Although they are young, they are much better key forwards.

Even Lobb is better.

Cox is listed as a ruck. And let’s assume that clubs have a lead ruck and either play a second ruck/forward or have a ruck ready to go in the reserves.

3rd line rucks are normally always development players.

With this in mind, this is the list of clubs that I don’t think would be interested in Mason Cox.

Carlton (De Koning, Pittonet)
Essendon (Draper, Goldstein)
Freo (Darcy, Jackson)
GC (Witts, Moyle)
GWS (Briggs, Preuss)
Melbourne (Gawn)
Port (Soldo, Sweet, Visentini)
Richmond (Nankervis, Naismith)
Saints (Marshall)
Swans (Grundy, Ladhams)
Dogs (English, Darcy)

So if I have listed 11 teams that probably wouldn’t be interested, that doesn’t leave many to que for his signature.

At 33, I don’t think he will get another contract.
Quite a few reasonable picks. I dispute Melbourne, Port GWS and Richmond.

He’d absolutely walk onto Melbourne’s list without a hint of doubt due to their appalling ruck depth. He’s obviously a better player than Keeffe and Keeffe would have been let go of if replaceable with Cox. And the Tigers were desperate for a half decent backup so settled for Naismith who is past 30. Cox is more proven than Naismith and can play forward, which is what Richmond need in their second ruck right now. Also if Cox was gettable, I dare say Port would have happily picked him over Sweet.

So there are a lot of clubs that could use Mason Cox to boost its ruck depth. Hence he does not belong in a thread like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite a few reasonable picks. I dispute Melbourne, Port GWS and Richmond.

He’d absolutely walk onto Melbourne’s list without a hint of doubt due to their appalling ruck depth. He’s obviously a better player than Keeffe and Keeffe would have been let go of if replaceable with Cox. And the Tigers were desperate for a half decent backup so settled for Naismith who is past 30. Cox is more proven than Naismith and can play forward, which is what Richmond need in their second ruck right now. Also if Cox was gettable, I dare say Port would have happily picked him over Sweet.

So there are a lot of clubs that could use Mason Cox to boost its ruck depth. Hence he does not belong in a thread like this.
So, you’re suggesting that Richmond who recruited a corpse of Naismith who is 31 should have gone after Cox at 33. So Naismitg on rookie contract at 31, who has potential to play a few more years than Cox and coming at base price is not a better deal? Particularly as he is caught behind the captain. So why would Richmond pay for Cox?

Secondly, Sweet is 26 and Port traded pick 50 in a shallow draft for him. Even if Cox is available, they would have gone Sweet.

And in reference to you last comment, lots of players will offer depth to a list. I would love to have Grundy sitting behind Gawn…. But it didn’t work and Melbourne had a lot of cap space sitting in the VFL. So why would clubs trade for an aging ruck, who wouldn’t be in the best 15 rucks in the league anymore? Particularly if they don’t run a 2 ruck system. Yes, he can play, but his shine is coming off. I will be very surprised if he gets another contract.

To tell you the truth, Collingwood probably need to start cycling out some of their aging list. Cox is a good candidate for this, as they have coverage in the areas he plays.

So, you’re suggesting that Richmond who recruited a corpse of Naismith who is 31 should have gone after Cox at 33. So Naismitg on rookie contract at 31, who has potential to play a few more years than Cox and coming at base price is not a better deal? Particularly as he is caught behind the captain. So why would Richmond pay for Cox?

Secondly, Sweet is 26 and Port traded pick 50 in a shallow draft for him. Even if Cox is available, they would have gone Sweet.

And in reference to you last comment, lots of players will offer depth to a list. I would love to have Grundy sitting behind Gawn…. But it didn’t work and Melbourne had a lot of cap space sitting in the VFL. So why would clubs trade for an aging ruck, who wouldn’t be in the best 15 rucks in the league anymore? Particularly if they don’t run a 2 ruck system. Yes, he can play, but his shine is coming off. I will be very surprised if he gets another contract.

To tell you the truth, Collingwood probably need to start cycling out some of their aging list. Cox is a good candidate for this, as they have coverage in the areas he plays.
Yes that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Soldo left against the Tigers' wishes and they were desperate for a readymade second ruck. Why wouldn't they go for Cox if he were available given he's a better forward and more proven ruck than Naismith? The Tigers are in a rebuild, are you suggesting 31 year old Naismith is a pickup that contributes to the rebuild and that 32 year old (at the time) Cox wouldn't?

Jordon Sweet is a VFL/SANFL ruck who is blessed to be able to be a back-up ruck at AFL level. Such is the nature of having so few AFL standard rucks going around, there aren't enough to fill depth on AFL lists. So players like Sweet get to be listed.

You're overestimating how much Cox earns. He'd be on like 100k a year more than some of the depth rucks who aren't up to it. You'd easily pay that rather than settle for the depth rucks on some lists.

Collingwood actually don't have very good coverage for the roles he plays, which is why he's still listed. And as stated previously, not many clubs do and that's why he'd have interest if the Pies chopped him.

Dusty Martin. Looks slow, and half hearted in his attack on the ball. Great finisher when everything is going well for the Tigers but an onlooker when things are tough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back