One-season wonders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL hoffy! :D

You were responding to a post from nearly 8 years ago. ;)

Ah well these bumped threads from years ago can certainly play tricks on one. Perhaps that's one reason why they are frowned upon. :)

Still, I hate the Crows guts too. :thumbsu:

Was fascinating to see ODN going in to bat for the rep of Carlton even then.

We are fond of you as well Eddie the Eagle or is that Toots the downhill skier

LOL hoffy! :D

You were responding to a post from nearly 8 years ago. ;)

Ah well these bumped threads from years ago can certainly play tricks on one. Perhaps that's one reason why they are frowned upon. :)

Still, I hate the Crows guts too. :thumbsu:

Was fascinating to see ODN going in to bat for the rep of Carlton even then.

doesnt matter :D

I'm new here and was thinking about Graham Teasdale but he was a two year wonder.No mention of Gordon Collis who won a Brownlow in 1964 with 27 votes and Geoff Blethyn who kicked 107 goals in 1972.

It's amazing to think that people existed 21 years ago. What were they like? What were their joys and fears? We may never know. All that they have left us are indecipherable scribblings on a web forum. I wonder why they did it.

Been watching a video of Fitzroy's 1986 season. A few things really stood out, like the miniscule crowds the Roys attracted to Vic Park, how outstanding Paul Roos was when he played as a set CHB rather than as a 'floating' backman; and the subject of this post: one Mark 'Smirky' Dwyer.

Dwyer was a 5 foot not much, 10 stone wringing wet, scraggy haired wingman who arrived from the western district town of Koroit half-way through the '86 season. He was given the less-than-glamorous number 58 guernsey and after a couple of reserves games, was in the seniors by round 15.

He played the remainder of the season in the 'ones' (including 3 finals), polling 10 Brownlow votes along the way (much to Paul Roos' chagrin
wink.gif
).

Alas, the magic never returned and after only 2 games in 1987 he was shipped off to the Saints where he played a further game in 1988 before heading to Sandringham in the VFA and then into football oblivion.

All hail Mark Dwyer! Halley's Comet wasn't the only shooting star to flash across the firmament in 1986!
biggrin.gif

Anyhow...anyone else got a 'one-season wonder' worth writing about?
Hi Mr Ripper

Nice post, I just read it 22 years later, which you possibly didn’t expect.

Our best one season wonder was probably Andrew Donnelly.

Drafted by Sydney but never played then dominated in the WAFL and we drafted him. 20 games 28 goals in his first season aged 23 and won our best first year player award ahead of Ben Cousins who won the Rising Star. Was top 20 in the comp for marks. Struggled with injury and we played him in a defence a bit and was delisted at 27 having never played more than 14 games in a season after his first one.

Matt Clape left us and played one good year for Carlton in 1995 when they won the flag then didn't do much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t need a 22 year old thread bumped, moved here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back