Bulldogsroar

bulldogsfight
Dec 30, 1999
Melbourne,Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
western bulldogs
Geogiades got 3 brownlow votes in his first and third games , kicked 15 goals in his first 3 games !!
Played 15 games for 27 goals in 89-90.

------------------
" I can resist anything.........except temptation."

Bulldogsroar

bulldogsfight
Dec 30, 1999
Melbourne,Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
western bulldogs
Mark West Got ruined by shoulder injuries I think he had 3 reconstructions .
\
Playing in Darwin now.

Him and Martin were had a great impact coming of the bench in 1997.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jboyar (edited 21 November 2000).]

Bulldogsroar

bulldogsfight
Dec 30, 1999
Melbourne,Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
western bulldogs
Originally posted by Olmy:
Hardie wasn't that bad was he?

Won a Brownlow Medal, Simpson Medal and 2 Tassie Medals. I loved him ans still am disgusted that malthouse took him off that fateful day vs Carlton at Waverley.

If he had played out his career at Footscray he would have been well remebered.

------------------

C

CrowsOK

Originally posted by The Old Dark Navy's:
Oh yes, at that time Carlton's 1995 season was the best in the history of the VFL/AFL. We had made the finals in 1993, 94, and then 96.
One season wonder? Sorry. I'm always happy to help out the intellectually stunted!

Hey Oldy...

Where does it say Carlton's 1995 season was not woderful? Nowhere, it says the opposite- Carlton's 1995 season was a wonder. In fact, so much so that 1994 and 1996 were ordinary. Not wonderful.

Yep, that one season, 1995, for Carlton was a wonder. Just as the thread topic says.

You'd have to be intellectually stunded yourself, Oldy, if you can't figure that out.

See ya ... from COKy.

S.Robbo

Debutant
Aug 27, 2000
Melb, Vic, Aus
Yeah Max, Jon Georgiades was the guy you were after from Footscray. Remember him kicking 8 goals on debut against the baggers at Princes Park. But as a whole, hardly qualified as a one season wonder. Think he played well for the first half a dozen games before getting the arse to the two's, where he never recovered.

A bloke from Essendon in 91' by the name of Brad Fox looked like he was going to cut the mustard at CHB for us after some credible performances, but lost form and consequently was gone by the end of 92 i think.

Heath Shepard from Collingwood started well in 89' with a 5-6 goal debut and then faded into oblivion.

Nov 7, 2000
Melbourne, Vic.
I'm pretty sure J.Georgiades won the equivalent of the VFL Brownlow a year or so ago (pretty sure it was in 1999). Can't remember who he plays for though. There was even mention, in an article in the HS, that he might have entered the draft that year - I'm pretty sure Georgiades said he wasn't interested though.

Originally posted by CrowsOK:
Hey Oldy...

Where does it say Carlton's 1995 season was not woderful? Nowhere, it says the opposite- Carlton's 1995 season was a wonder. In fact, so much so that 1994 and 1996 were ordinary. Not wonderful.

Yep, that one season, 1995, for Carlton was a wonder. Just as the thread topic says.

You'd have to be intellectually stunded yourself, Oldy, if you can't figure that out.

See ya ... from COKy.

You don't grasp the concept yourself do you cocky?

If Carlton were grand finalists in 1993, finished 2nd in the h & a series in 1994 and again made the finals with an aging list in 1996, 1995 can not be seen as a one season wonder. If that was the case, then every team that won a flag and did not follow it up with another one straight away would be considered a one season wonder. If this is your feeling then you are showing your Crows bias and will surely fall flat on your arse. A one season wonder would more likely be a player or a team that came from rags to riches and back to rags again all in the space of a year. Anything else I can help you with?

------------------
mens sana in corpore sano - a sound mind in a sound body

Olmy,

Mr Ripper is right again.
wink.gif

John Georgiou is an interesting case. He made his debut as a 16 year old with the saints around 1991 (help me out Mr Ripper) and had big expectations surrounding him. Three years later he was delisted as a 19 year old, went over to the SANFL for a few years and now he is a Frankston VFL player.

After winning the JJ Liston trophy last year, I think he did a pre-season with the kangaroos. He has been around forever and is still only about 24 years old.

I don't know why we didn't persist with him.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Yeah, I think JG was 16 and doing fifth form at St. Bedes (?) when he was promoted to the seniors for the Saints' home match against the Crows in round 7, 1992. Picked up 19 possies too!
wink.gif

servo

All Australian
Apr 29, 2000
adelaide
You cannot go past Adrian McAdam. He had an exceptional season and the next anyone hears about him is a report on a villification charge for calling an umpire a "white C..." in a NT league.

On a sadder note you can throw in Sasche from the Dogs and Motley at the Blues. Tragic one season wonders.

Mr Ripper,

As a saints fan, I should be the one telling you these things.
wink.gif

Now if only you were available as an online resource for the survivor game!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Fortius Quo Fidelius

(Log in to remove this ad.)

karnaby

All Australian
Oct 18, 2000
WA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
StKilda
Tony Southcombe, Carlton, late 70s early 80s.
Southcombe was a legend in Bendigo, for many years Carlton asked him to play & one season he succumbed.
He was only 6'1" or 6'2" but he mostly rucked and got plenty of Brownlow votes.
One season was enough for the boy from the bush so rather than fading to obscurity he walked.

C

CrowsOK

Originally posted by The Old Dark Navy's:
You don't grasp the concept yourself do you cocky?

If Carlton were grand finalists in 1993, finished 2nd in the h & a series in 1994 and again made the finals with an aging list in 1996, 1995 can not be seen as a one season wonder. If that was the case, then every team that won a flag and did not follow it up with another one straight away would be considered a one season wonder. If this is your feeling then you are showing your Crows bias and will surely fall flat on your arse. A one season wonder would more likely be a player or a team that came from rags to riches and back to rags again all in the space of a year. Anything else I can help you with?

Oldy you are correct in saying that a team that came from rags to riches and back to rags again all in the space of a year would be the quintessential one season wonder, but Dan24 did not mention any such a team. Dan24 mentioned one team that achieved follow-up, and another that did not attain riches; neither qualifies as a one season wonder. I can see Oldy that you are still struggling with comprehension so I will try to explain.

Put it this way Oldy:
Any team that won a flag and did not follow it up with another one straight away is far more of a one season wonder than is a team that won a flag and then DID follow it up with another one straight away.

Its all relative, get it? Or are you still flat on your arse struggling with simple concepts like this? Has the light finally got through and can you now see Dan24's mistake? I mean, even a truly stupid Victorian should be able to see that back-to-back flags do not constitute a one season wonder, yet Dan24 nominates one as his first choice for that category. Holy toledo Batman, how wrong can you get?

Oldy, if you can't see Dan24's error then your Victorian bias is showing. If you finally can see Dan24's error then I'm glad to be of assistance, can I help you with anything else?

Your friend COKy (or should I say, your COKy friend?)

T

TUT TUT

Scottie Cummings and may I be as bold as to say that whats his name MATHEW LOYD will be a one season wonder.

walshy1993

Club Legend
Jun 4, 2000
Melbourne, (ESSENDON)
got a suspicion tut tut may be g4e trying to stir the pot

robbo brad fox played footy at keilor this year, along with michael werner

michael werner kicked 24 goals in a match a year or two ago playing for gisborne and then was ripped apart by one of the walsh clan the week after
i think the both made the victorian football leagues rep side that played against a queensland side a couple of years ago before the alies match at the gabba
matty lloyds brother simon was the captain

C

CrowsOK

Originally posted by Dan24:
OK, then the Crows were a two season wonder.

Fair enough ?

Yep. Two wonderful seasons.

A bit like bombers season in 93, wonderful flag for them, that. Bet you enjoyed it. Only the one season, though. A one season wonder.

Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Regarding 1993.

We made the finals in 89,90,91,93,95,96,98,99,00

9 times in the last 12 years. OK, we didn;t make a Grand Final between 1993 and 2000, but we were hardly a one-season (sorry two season) fluke, like the Crows. We've been consistently in the finals, which is more than I can say for Adelaide.

I don't think 1993 was a one-seaosn wonder at all. We arguably had just as good tesm in 1995-96, but the competition improved and it was harder to win a premiership.

C

CrowsOK

Originally posted by Dan24:
Regarding 1993.

We made the finals in 89,90,91,93,95,96,98,99,00

9 times in the last 12 years. OK, we didn;t make a Grand Final between 1993 and 2000, but we were hardly a one-season (sorry two season) fluke, like the Crows. We've been consistently in the finals, which is more than I can say for Adelaide.

I don't think 1993 was a one-seaosn wonder at all. We arguably had just as good tesm in 1995-96, but the competition improved and it was harder to win a premiership.

Crows have not been as consistently in the finals as Bombers, no. Tell me any other club that made finals more than 3 times and achieved two flags in its first ten years? West Coast is one- any others?

Think about it for just one second. Two season wonder loses ALL punch as a jibe compared with one season wonder. With very good reason.

Another way of looking at it is this- 98 proved 97 was no fluke. 97 shows 98 should not have been as unexpected as it actually was (mostly it was unexpected in Victoria). Its exactly the same arguement as you make for Bombers and their performances in other years.

Crows gained their two flags after 96 in the period after the competition had improved and it became harder to win a premiership, is that what you are trying to tell us? And Bombers have only one flag in that period?

Get back to us when you have got your story straight.

McKenna for PM

Senior List
Nov 20, 2000
Brisbane - Eagles
Other Teams
WCE
CrowsOK,

Understandably, you are assuming that winning a Grand Final constitutes dominance. The Crows' 97 & 98 flags typify the concept of a/an "X season wonder" as well as anything I can think of. In both years the Crows were long shots. The 1998 victory was even more unexpected than the 1997 one. Neither season saw Adelaide as the dominant side, since they enetered both GFs as the undisputed underdogs.

And ODN's definition of a one-season wonder needs refining. The rags to riches cycle can take more than the period in question as long as the events which elicit the riches part are inside one season.

And finally, my two cents:

Brad Pearce
Essendon (projected)
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back