One thing you love, and hate about your club

Remove this Banner Ad

BuffDog

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Even though this season is turning out to be an utter train wreck, Saturday’s win made me remember exactly why I love the club I support.

You can always count on the Bombers to pick themselves up off the canvas and win when the backs are against the wall. Our win against the cats is a classic example as well as other examples such as beating Freo and West Coast away in 2013 and another close win against Geelong in 2011 that snapped a lengthy losing streak.

We may suck in finals but the bombers have given its fans no shortage of classic home and away wins such as Anzac Day 2009 to name the obvious.

On the contrary, and I’ll ignore the obvious here, we seem to be either incredibly inept or secretive at communicating the injury status of our players. One week out with ‘general soreness’ seems to turn into season ending injuries with no explanation and you can usually be sure a 2 week injury is at least 6. Adelaide fans might know what this is like.

What’s something you guys love and hate about the team you support?

Love how we are consistently a respectable team year after year and always give a good account of ourselves.

I hate that we aren't able to make the ruthless decisions that might jag a flag,

Even though this season is turning out to be an utter train wreck, Saturday’s win made me remember exactly why I love the club I support.

You can always count on the Bombers to pick themselves up off the canvas and win when the backs are against the wall. Our win against the cats is a classic example as well as other examples such as beating Freo and West Coast away in 2013 and another close win against Geelong in 2011 that snapped a lengthy losing streak.

We may suck in finals but the bombers have given its fans no shortage of classic home and away wins such as Anzac Day 2009 to name the obvious.

On the contrary, and I’ll ignore the obvious here, we seem to be either incredibly inept or secretive at communicating the injury status of our players. One week out with ‘general soreness’ seems to turn into season ending injuries with no explanation and you can usually be sure a 2 week injury is at least 6. Adelaide fans might know what this is like.

I’m pretty sure that’s Geelong and injuries. The club tell us nothing, Scooter, Parfitt, Hendo, Menzel amongst others are classic examples.
We have no idea about them.
I love how we are always competitive during seasons but than we lose to rubbish sides every year. We don’t give all our opponents enough respect.

Hate - the last decade.

Love - resilience of our members and supporters, we’re the most engaged supporter base by metric of home games attended and memberships bought, notwithstanding the garbage we’ve had to put up with.

Injuries is every club. The ‘two’ week soreness that turns into needing surgery. Or players mysteriously left off injury lists for weeks, but no playing, then ‘sorry’ season over or will be out for months. Clubs aren’t fooling other clubs and just annoy their own fans. They are all (including Port), like kids who’ve broken a vase, hoping if they don’t point it out, it will miraculously fix itself. And when it doesn’t any questions around poor player management will still be there, just with an extra layer now that we’re unlikely to trust anything the club now says on that front, after hiding/deliberately reporting as something else for weeks firstly.

I love the club's positive approach to it's development. From the selection of key staff to the development policy of slow sustainable growth through effort at the grass roots level.

Not really hate but I struggle not to get pissed with our supporters who seem to lack patience with our current problems. It's probably social media more than anything but frankly the players and the coaches deserve better.

I hope we get 16-19k on Saturday night against the Bombers, a crowd drop off because we've lost a few games would be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the values that Kennedy, Parkin and Jeans installed in the club, and the fact that Clarkson loves them too.

Hate... that Kennet doesn't seem to get them. He tries, sometimes he tries, but often it seems he doesn't know what Hawthorn is about.

Love: Knowing we have a wonderful ability of developing players no matter when they are drafted. Sicily picked in the 50's is a prime example.

Hate: Clarko only playing kids when we are forced to by injury. Every supporter knew Worpel should have kept his spot rather than be dropped for Langford for the Sydney game. We were proven right and it was rectified the following week.

Love: Knowing we have a wonderful ability of developing players no matter when they are drafted. Sicily picked in the 50's is a prime example.

Hate: Clarko only playing kids when we are forced to by injury. Every supporter knew Worpel should have kept his spot rather than be dropped for Langford for the Sydney game. We were proven right and it was rectified the following week.
It seems every most clubs supporters say the same thing. Coaches know a lot that we don't.

what does this mean?
Simply means we have an extremely high ‘conversion’ rate for supporters to members. I was incorrect in stating we were the highest, that’s the Dogs, but we came second.

On this measure it is reigning Premiers the Western Bulldogs which has been the most successful in converting supporters to paying memberships with 19.3% of Western Bulldogs supporters buying a membership in 2017.

Other clubs to have high conversion rates include Melbourne which converts 18.4% of supporters to members, Port Adelaide which converts 17.5% of supporters to members, and 2017 ‘Cinderella’ team Richmond which is playing in its first Preliminary Final in 16 years this weekend and converts an impressive 16.4% of supporters to members.’

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7345-roy-morgan-afl-supporter-ladder-2017-201709210118

Simply means we have an extremely high ‘conversion’ rate for supporters to members. I was incorrect in stating we were the highest, that’s the Dogs, but we came second.

On this measure it is reigning Premiers the Western Bulldogs which has been the most successful in converting supporters to paying memberships with 19.3% of Western Bulldogs supporters buying a membership in 2017.

Other clubs to have high conversion rates include Melbourne which converts 18.4% of supporters to members, Port Adelaide which converts 17.5% of supporters to members, and 2017 ‘Cinderella’ team Richmond which is playing in its first Preliminary Final in 16 years this weekend and converts an impressive 16.4% of supporters to members.’

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7345-roy-morgan-afl-supporter-ladder-2017-201709210118

To be fair some clubs were limited by stadium capacity in 2016.

Argument that demographic plays an important part.

Not many working class followers of Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back