One year too many.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should retire at years end
The 2004 draft is almost gone, and most were gone a few years ago. From memory it’s just been Buddy and Betts for a while.

It’s actually surprising how many from 2005 have held on (Kennedy, Murphy, Higgins, Hurn, Ryder, Jones, Birchall etc) but clearly they’ll be dropping like flies from here.

Pendlebury doesn’t have much more to achieve so you’d hope he’d go before he’s pushed.

Surprised Levi Casboult hasn’t been mentioned.

I know this thread generally encompasses declining stars, but he’s gone from serviceable key forward to giant liability in one off-season.
I think most people accept that he’s really only getting a game because Carlton can’t get McKay, Curnow and McGovern on the park at the same time.

Was possibly in danger of being delisted before Curnow’s injury troubles got started.

Gaz Ablett's the best player I've ever seen and he was only just going at times on a half forward flank. It's a young mans position. The likes of Pendles, Nate Jones, Marc Muphy, Higgins are on a hiding to nothing if they get marooned on a half forward flank.

My guess is the Pies just need any excuse to give their younger mids a go. Pendles probably has plenty left on ball or at half back - he has the height and skills to cover not being a natural defender. Just no point cooking him this season.

When I hear criticism of the likes of Jones or Marc Murphy it's really criticism of their teams for not being good enough to play better younger players. Those guys probably have a bit left as depth on ballers. It just hasn't been fashionate yet to have a veteran in the 2's who gets used when needed.

I can see that it could be very hard to reach the 'retire now' decision. When you are a professional athlete, to say 'time's up' must be really tough.
Especially if the club keep offering you big money to play on and the alternative is to end the career you've been on since you were a kid. And do what?
Usually it's the player not ready to admit time, but sometimes it's the club. I remember Sandilands was ready to retire time and time again, but the club kept begging him to play on. Shows his loyalty that he did so. Never should have though.

And sometimes you get it wrong. A year ago I thought Tax Walker was shot. After a great start to 2021 he's slowed down, but he's still pretty good.

Right now the guy looking cooked in my team is Jamie Cripps. Lost the zip, tackles nearly as much but they don't stick the way they used to. Goal count and goal assist numbers are way down and while he makes pretty good position, he invariably fumbles the ball resulting in a turnover.

Walters is just getting old and Fyfe has the excuse of a history of injuries. When he's on the park he's dangerous, but the question seems to be how many games and what percentage of any game will he be good for. Hard to believe such a champion is in his 12th year and is only just about to crack 200 games. I think Walters should end it this year but Fyfe can probably go another 4-5 if he can keep the body ok. Reducing minutes and more and more forward time though.
Fyfe unlucky to have two long injury stints. He's probably a little less durable over other players. Boak is hitting 290s, Selwood 300+. Without the lti's from Fyfe he'd be around 275 in comparison.

All comes down to position on ladder, momentum up or down and team structure. No way Fyfe is going anytime soon.

I guess as suppporters we don't always know where a player's at. Tex was clearly hampered by an injury last year. I look at Hartlett and think if he's coming off an injury he might be good for another season, but if not he could be going on one too many. Surely clubs have stats and figures that they look at to gauge a players performance.

Adelaide fans jumping on the smack attack train mustn't have seen much of his footy at Essendon. He looked like a world beater at times, had some amazing games. I can see why saints picked him up albeit at his age I wouldn't have

How is Zaharakis still on a list and getting games?

Only getting games because we have a lot of outs, I'm sure Truck doesn't rate him as a best 22 player and he's not one to gift games to cooked veterans and plodders like our previous coach. Papers are very likely stamped

James Frawley actually retired before St Kilda convinced him he could go around again. Good on him for collecting a paycheck when it was obvious to everyone bar the St Kilda recruiters that he was done. I get the romance of a having a relative of Spud play for the club but it was ultimately pointless.

The 2004 draft is almost gone, and most were gone a few years ago. From memory it’s just been Buddy and Betts for a while.
Lynden Dunn held on until last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Frawley actually retired before St Kilda convinced him he could go around again. Good on him for collecting a paycheck when it was obvious to everyone bar the St Kilda recruiters that he was done. I get the romance of a having a relative of Spud play for the club but it was ultimately pointless.
I think St Kilda got completely ahead of themselves, predicting that they were going to be in Premiership contention and Frawley was going to be the little cherry on the top. An old steady hand come finals..

Fyfe unlucky to have two long injury stints. He's probably a little less durable over other players. Boak is hitting 290s, Selwood 300+. Without the lti's from Fyfe he'd be around 275 in comparison.

All comes down to position on ladder, momentum up or down and team structure. No way Fyfe is going anytime soon.

I guess as suppporters we don't always know where a player's at. Tex was clearly hampered by an injury last year. I look at Hartlett and think if he's coming off an injury he might be good for another season, but if not he could be going on one too many. Surely clubs have stats and figures that they look at to gauge a players performance.
Fyfe and Dusty both debuted in 2010. Dusty had played nearly 60 more games. Dusty has played 15 finals to Fyfe’s 11.

Same with Mckernan

As much as I hate to say it, because he's been such a beautiful footballer to watch, but on the last couple of weeks, Shaun Higgins. His kicking is way off in general play and his kicking for goal is terrible (I noticed it was at North the past couple of seasons)

As much as I hate to say it, because he's been such a beautiful footballer to watch, but on the last couple of weeks, Shaun Higgins. His kicking is way off in general play and his kicking for goal is terrible (I noticed it was at North the past couple of seasons)

This isn't a salty Oppo fan talking at all. I love Higgins, but he ******* loves to back himself to kick a goal, and invariably *s it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back