One year too many.

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn't a salty Oppo fan talking at all. I love Higgins, but he ******* loves to back himself to kick a goal, and invariably fu**s it up.

I remember too when Geelong recruited Brad Ottens and every single commentator talked him up every time when he was having a set shot for goal. He was ******* shocking at it when you need him most to slot one.

Same with Mckernan

I think Frawley and McKernan are a bit different, as Frawley was at one stage one of the best key defenders in the game. I can't remember McKernan ever being much better than average. That's not a criticism - they can't all be stars - but he is what he is you know what you're getting with him: emergency key forward and ruck depth and probably good protection for your up and coming young talls in the reserves, so they don't get broken in half by rucking one out all game.

When a player has had a career like McKernan's you kind of feel happy for him, you know "Wow, he got another contract? Good for him..." A classic Jalen Rose "Keep gettin' dem checks (cheques)" case, where you just have that fondness for a player who's never reached any great heights, but just seems to be around forever.

I think Frawley and McKernan are a bit different, as Frawley was at one stage one of the best key defenders in the game. I can't remember McKernan ever being much better than average. That's not a criticism - they can't all be stars - but he is what he is you know what you're getting with him: emergency key forward and ruck depth and probably good protection for your up and coming young talls in the reserves, so they don't get broken in half by rucking one out all game.

When a player has had a career like McKernan's you kind of feel happy for him,
you know "Wow, he got another contract? Good for him..." A classic Jalen Rose "Keep gettin' dem checks (cheques)" case, where you just have that fondness for a player who's never reached any great heights, but just seems to be around forever.

Yeah I agree with your general sentiment but Mckernan retired siting that he’d lost the passion for AFL and while I doubt he took as much convincing as Frawley the Saints were the ones to call him not the other way around.

I remember too when Geelong recruited Brad Ottens and every single commentator talked him up every time when he was having a set shot for goal. He was ******* shocking at it when you need him most to slot one.

I feel like it was more a case of Ottens got the yips late in his career for a season or two after the 2008 grand final (not as badly or as publicised as Mooney, but he had a similarly costly/deflating miss when Geelong desperately needed a goal). He came good in his last year though.

With Higgins, it's like he just has too many mates/former teammates in the commentary box. They keep talking him up as one of the classiest finishers going around and he just keeps missing regulation chances. He's at, what, 2.8 on the year now?

If he can't be counted on to kick a goal a game and convert those golden opportunities, I think he doesn't have much of a case to stay in the side... he's not offering much otherwise.

When a player has had a career like McKernan's you kind of feel happy for him, you know "Wow, he got another contract? Good for him..." A classic Jalen Rose "Keep gettin' dem checks (cheques)" case, where you just have that fondness for a player who's never reached any great heights, but just seems to be around forever.

Frawley has been cooked for a number of seasons, although he played in a Premiership with the Hawks he never reached the heights he did at the Dees.

The Saints erred in not playing McKernan against the Swans last week, he has his one spectactular game a year against us!!

I feel like it was more a case of Ottens got the yips late in his career for a season or two after the 2008 grand final (not as badly or as publicised as Mooney, but he had a similarly costly/deflating miss when Geelong desperately needed a goal). He came good in his last year though.

With Higgins, it's like he just has too many mates/former teammates in the commentary box. They keep talking him up as one of the classiest finishers going around and he just keeps missing regulation chances. He's at, what, 2.8 on the year now?

If he can't be counted on to kick a goal a game and convert those golden opportunities, I think he doesn't have much of a case to stay in the side... he's not offering much otherwise.

He's not really hitting up leading players either. There's the odd one, but not nearly as many as I was expecting having watched him for his whole career.

Yes I remember that Ottens miss in the '08 gf, 20 out, 45 degree angle, right forward pocket, on the move. From memory, there were three misses in quick succession just before half time, Mooney, Ottens and maybe Chapman was the third. Surprisingly enough, I've never gone back and watched it. I'm sure a Hawk fan in the thread would be able to tell us.

Frawley has been cooked for a number of seasons, although he played in a Premiership with the Hawks he never reached the heights he did at the Dees.

The Saints erred in not playing McKernan against the Swans last week, he has his one spectactular game a year against us!!

He kept Kennedy scoreless in the 2015 GF kept Buddy goalless a couple of times.

2 things which have almost never happened in their career.

Kennedy had a shot at goal late in the GF and passed it off. Im prettysure he knew he had beenbeaten and chose not to boost his stats with a junk goal. Frawley was huge that day. As was Lake on Darling.

He was injured I believe.

As much as I hate to say it, because he's been such a beautiful footballer to watch, but on the last couple of weeks, Shaun Higgins. His kicking is way off in general play and his kicking for goal is terrible (I noticed it was at North the past couple of seasons)
Has been slowing down for at least the last two years.

As much as I hate to say it, because he's been such a beautiful footballer to watch, but on the last couple of weeks, Shaun Higgins. His kicking is way off in general play and his kicking for goal is terrible (I noticed it was at North the past couple of seasons)

He kicked 178.116 (61%) up to the end of 2016, 48.60 (44%) since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he might be a bit of a dick.

Not sure how well he is fitting in.

Doesn't seem as liked as Smith and Cameron.

Seems pretty full of himself and can't take a joke.

Playing for North would knock the sense of humour out of most people, you only need to read what their supporters post on here to see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back