Onfield success 2018...why?

Remove this Banner Ad

The primary reason for our success so far this year is mainly due to improvement in a bunch of our players (plus more consistency).
De Goey: has stepped up this year...announced himself as a real player...goal kicker
Grundy: has taken his game to another level, ruck dominance plus being another midfielder
Scharenberg: also much improved & reaching new heights
Dunn: a fantastic year...who picked that?
Mayne: has lifted & become an important role player
Phillips: has improved, more disposals, runs hard all day
Sidebottom: another level...more consistent
Thomas: playing his best footy...goal kicker
Appleby: surprise packet...role player
WHE: to another level...more consistent...goal kicker
Cox: another level...clunking marks...contesting hard every contest
Mihocek: stepped up, played his role (with injury ravaged side)

New
Stevenson: what a first year! Goal kicker

Continued excellence
Pendlebury: say no more
Treloar: ditto
Adams: playing his role, doing his share
Crisp: like a duracell bunny
Howe: might even win mark of the year one day...consistent

We are operating better as a team.
Players performing their roles.
Greater consistency.
Our bottom 6 have improved...
Hope it continues.

The group has played 50 games together that kind of continuity.

The primary reason for our success so far this year is mainly due to improvement in a bunch of our players (plus more consistency).
De Goey: has stepped up this year...announced himself as a real player...goal kicker
Grundy: has taken his game to another level, ruck dominance plus being another midfielder
Scharenberg: also much improved & reaching new heights
Dunn: a fantastic year...who picked that?
Mayne: has lifted & become an important role player
Phillips: has improved, more disposals, runs hard all day
Sidebottom: another level...more consistent
Thomas: playing his best footy...goal kicker
Appleby: surprise packet...role player
WHE: to another level...more consistent...goal kicker
Cox: another level...clunking marks...contesting hard every contest
Mihocek: stepped up, played his role (with injury ravaged side)

New
Stevenson: what a first year! Goal kicker

Continued excellence
Pendlebury: say no more
Treloar: ditto
Adams: playing his role, doing his share
Crisp: like a duracell bunny
Howe: might even win mark of the year one day...consistent

We are operating better as a team.
Players performing their roles.
Greater consistency.
Our bottom 6 have improved...
Hope it continues.

For mine in addition to your comments :
  • 16 players have played 12 or more games - no revolving doors, stability of a core group.
  • Belief in game plan (which has been simplified in description), belief in each other
  • Addition of assistant coaches and Buckley learning to delegate
Surprisingly we have tried out 35 players from our list to date, I was surprised.

The club getting its act together off field finally with more better coaches to help spread the load and teaching in development process as well has helped.
Using the resources better, having the club run well on and off the ground goes a long way to success

The club getting its act together off field finally with more better coaches to help spread the load and teaching in development process as well has helped.
Using the resources better, having the club run well on and off the ground goes a long way to success

2nd That.

Finally get the Stuff Off-Field Right made huge Difference.

Also getting rid of Leading Teams was also Huge. Have a Actual Culture at the Club that Players want to play for each other now

No Daveron. No Pert. That Murphy club review last year really seemed to be the impetus for change, the departures and newbies including Ned Guy have all seemed to release the pressure in my mind and everyone’s benefitting from enjoying the ride. Let’s keep the roll going

Brought in operators who've clearly made a tangible difference (Longmuir, Hocking etc.).

Nathan himself has improved as a coach.

And most significantly of all, the players believe. The mental ability to never be beaten cannot be understated. And thats a result of trusting in your coaches/the plans implemented through pre-season etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game Plan and the team being on the same page about how to play, predictably of team mates, team self belief. It makes a huge difference. Doubt about what you are doing as a team can be cancer on all ball movement and decision making, when there is a framework the tells the player whats he should do, iut makes each player better, escpically when the rewards are there for that game style, players know it works have faith in it, and when really under the gun or down they know if they keep doing the right team thing in the game plan that the team can do almost anything, Hope , Faith, Belief, can be as contagious as doubt, excuses and blame.

The chemisty in back line group, forward group and the connections is just a lot better.

A number of players are playing career best football, JDG, Crisp, J Thomas, WHE in particular have really lifted, their best is just much better. S'berg jhas showed way he was drfated, getting enough game to show he talent, Stephenson has been phenomenal for a first year player. Grundy has continued his rise winch I for one expected (he is the ruck GARRAF has been waiting for all this long post monkey time, expect for the brief Jolly stint) , Cox is getting there.

Some of the game plan you could have seen as being around for some time, Crisp was moved to half back what 2 years ago and it took a while for it become a great move, onlyreally this yera though some good game last year, but also greatly helped by the whole team thing. I think bucks always wanted something like this in ball movement but wanting it and getting it are too different things. Murray and Stephenson perhaps really added some attitude, dare to the team early which I think helped. Going small up forward and some forward rethinking might well have been forced upon the team with injuries, crisis is opportunity

Number of factors.

1. BUCKLEY has his TEAM. It's no longer Micks boys. Its Bucks boys and they play for him, and would do anything for him. Out Daisy and co and ib new Blood who bleed and fight for our coach.

2. OUT the people behind the scenes such and Pert and co who needed to gp and since have been replaced creating a new culture with new expectations.
OUT the coaches around Bucks who led to our poor gameday tactics and gameplay.

3. PLAYERS have now played games together and have started to gel and understand eachothers games.

We are very similar to Richmond in the way they've turned themselves around only differece being its taken us 5 years and not 40!

There are always a lot of moving parts in a club success i.e Playing list, injuries, development, coaching, maturity, draw, culture etc etc.

Simple answer in my view is we have players who have taken the next step and improved dramatically (Degoey, Phillips, Crisp, Mihocek, Scharenberg to name just a few). This could be part development or game plan and coaching being clearer and simpler. Bucks should be give huge credit for this.

Injuries have worked against us, but the silver lining is players are stepping up to fill the void and do so beyond my expectations.

Finals will be great for this group. Don't think we can go all the way this year, but it will really benefit this playing group.

Belief, the whole club is on the same page and you can see the players are enjoying the environment. It makes a massive difference when players are relaxed and enjoying their football.

That review may very well be the best thing is club has done in the last 6 years.

Agree. He & the coaching staff deserve quite a bit of the credit for the season thus far.
The buck stops with the coach & he has been under the pump in recent years, so certainly deserves some plaudits now.
Particularly when he has been missing vital players from our best 22 for large chunks of games.

If we can improve in injury prevention & management we will be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years.

I see parallels between Hardwick changing the Tigers ball movement and game plan last year because of a lack of talls and Bucks changing our ball movement and game plan because of the lack of a KPF, the want/need to shift Moore down back and having Elliot injured.... this all meant we had minimal contested marking power inside 50.

So I think a lot of the success in both cases is circumstantial from a coaching point of view.

Bucks seemed quite fixed for most of his coaching tenure, but has been flexible enough to adapt his coaching this year.

We are finally playing to our midfield strengths as Blind Freddy could see that in previous years we did not have to foot skills to play a Hawthorn like possession game.

I found my lucky undies...the ones I wore all of 2010 and lost before I packed for the trip to Melbourne for 2011 GF.
:think: Finally found the person to blame for the last six years, losing those lucky undies how could you;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back