Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't expect the coaches to throw players under the bus in public, but deep down I think some of the selectors are seething about the Starc selection. He is out of form and you bring a cooked Starc to the Gabba :drunk:... and now they destroyed his confidence, going at about 5 an over against Shield players.

Nice little knock from Fraser-McCurk when the pressure was on.

I'm happy for Starc to play pink ball Tests but if J Richardson is fit next summer he should be well behind.

I love Patto but I do think the lack of consistent cricket has meant his form etc. Has never reached what it was in the early years.

We're exceptionally lucky with Cummins. His body resembled a close game of Jenga for a time and now he seems like the most durable bowler in the world.

As much as I used to critisise Sport Science it has to get some credit for how he has turned out. A shame Patto didn't have the same good fortunate.

I'm happy for Starc to play pink ball Tests but if J Richardson is fit next summer he should be well behind.

I love Patto but I do think the lack of consistent cricket has meant his form etc. Has never reached what it was in the early years.

We're exceptionally lucky with Cummins. His body resembled a close game of Jenga for a time and now he seems like the most durable bowler in the world.

As much as I used to critisise Sport Science it has to get some credit for how he has turned out. A shame Patto didn't have the same good fortunate.
Patto bowled outstandingly well this game. Clear cut the best seamer in this game

Starc belongs in grade cricket

He isn’t the answer well at least I can’t see him being picked anyway. No point even putting him in these sides. Can’t see our top 6 really changing that much. The only issue with our top 6 is our no 5 and frankly I’d back Head over Maxwell if that’s the choice.

He is a better batsman than any of our other current candidates at 5 (which isnt saying much as our batting depth sucks but still its true imo) but he wont get picked again while Langer and Smith are there.

Nup he’s still the best gloveman until Inglis is ready and I do think Inglis needs 12 months. Yes I’d pick them over Maxwell as if trust them more when we have to save a test. Wouldn’t have a fast bowler as captain no way. Too much on his plate as it is. It’s either Smith or Labs and so doubt Smith will want it again.

They wont give it back to Smith even if he wants it nor should they.

It will probably be Labs by default unless its Cummins.

I am making light of the lack of consistency on policy selection.

While I don't think you are entirely wrong about Maxwell, he was more worthy of being persisted with than Mitch.

Agreed but we have known for a long time that our selection policy has little logic or consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's fine, but to say his record is "pathetic" compared to the hype is hyperbole at it's worst.

Hes been a fantastic bowler previously and could come back but on current form he should barely even be getting a game for NSW let alone Aust. Drop him and let him work his way back in.

Better than Paine at least not that the bar is set high

I never thought Smith was that great tactically and morally you cant have him captain again. If we didnt have such a void of leadership options no one would even suggest it.

In terms of the captaincy role, I think that is why Head was given a few tries at test level after sandpaper gate. They wanted to groom Head to be the next captain and he would be taking over the captaincy after Paine. Unfortunately it hasn't quite worked out for him thus far, and he needs to keep at it in the Shield. And if he does come back into the test side, he needs to at least have a good series against quality opposition to keep his spot.

I like Usman, but he doesn't have it against good opposition. Average vs England & India below 30 and away from home 24. Not small sample sizes either.

Don’t think Smith even wants it

Listening to Smith you can tell he'd be happy to be captain again. Twice this part week he's been asked about the prospects of Cummins as captain, before & after the ODD match against Vic, before the match this is what he said:

Former Australian captain Steve Smith admits it would be quite the challenge for the big quick.

“I think being a fast bowler, it would be tough, but that’s not really for me to decide,” Smith told SEN Breakfast.

“That’s probably a question for him so we’ll wait and see.”

Smith himself remains open to captaining the Test side again, but won’t force anyone’s hand.

“I’ve said I’m pretty comfortable where I’m at at the moment.”

“When and if that time comes and if I’m the right person when that time comes, then yes, but we’ll wait and see, those guys are doing great jobs at the moment.”

And then after the match when asked again, and this one comes across as a bit dismissive - could have left it as "he was pretty good", not sure there was need to add that there wasn't much to do

"He was good. Pretty easy day today," Smith said.

"I don’t think there was too much to sort of do.

I caught the end of Offsiders this morning just as they started discussing this exact thing, and not sure any on the panel were too supportive of Smith's reposing either time and they agreed he sounded like a guy who wants the top job back

1st - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/02...e-tough-for-pat-cummins-to-captain-australia/
2nd - https://www.cricket.com.au/news/pat...ria-australia-test-tim-paine-finch/2021-02-15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back