Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

On the back of what? He is absolutely cooked should not be anywhere near the test set up
Did you read my post?

I was agreeing with you.

Whilst you, I, and plenty of others know that he is cooked, if he is fit, he will be picked. Please be realistic?

Did you read my post?

I was agreeing with you.

Whilst you, I, and plenty of others know that he is cooked, if he is fit, he will be picked. Please be realistic?
I just don’t understand why they are so loyal to him. He had played all the shield games since the end of the year and done nothing yet the excuse cricket Australia offers up is fitness and getting his body right

I'd like to see something like this by the end of the year, but I doubt it. Really strong batting line-up. Not sure about the bowling line-up, but hard to imagine Neser/Swep wouldn't offer more than Starc/Lyon this Summer.

Hunt/Street/Renshaw
Pucovski
Labsuchagne
Smith
Head
Green
Inglis
Neser
Cummins
Swepson
Hazlewood

I'd like to see something like this by the end of the year, but I doubt it. Really strong batting line-up. Not sure about the bowling line-up, but hard to imagine Neser/Swep wouldn't offer more than Starc/Lyon this Summer.

Hunt/Street/Renshaw
Pucovski
Labsuchagne
Smith
Head
Green
Inglis
Neser
Cummins
Swepson
Hazlewood
Mine would be similar
1. Warner (to be replaced after the ashes by Street or Hunt)
2. Pucovski
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Paine (to be replaced by Inglis after the Ashes)
8. Neser
9. Cummings
10. Lyon (Swepson will be hot on his heels)
11. Hazlewood
12th. Pattinson

Henriques & Starc will be somewhere near the squad

Hunt/Street/Renshaw
Pucovski
Labsuchagne
Smith
Head
Green
Inglis
Neser
Cummins
Swepson
Hazlewood

I would personally love the selectors to try some new faces out in the XI like for that Test Match against Afghanistan in November at Hobart, however given that the Test Match might be the only match Australia might play until the Ashes begin, you would think the selectors will most likely choose the best selected lineup possible that would be facing the Poms in the 1st Test at the GABBA. Therefore, players like Warner, Paine, Starc (deserve it or not) & Lyon will be selected ahead of players in the Sheffield Shield due to the lack of Test Matches being played in the upcoming calendar year.

One thing I would like Cricket Australia to do, before the home Ashes do begin would make Australia's Best Test XI play against Australia's (A) Test XI for a 1-2 practice matches to see who is in form and who isn't, similar to how they operate things before the 2019 Ashes in England began. That would give the Best XI players time on the field for match conditioning, while the other team can stake their claims for getting selection for the 1st Test.

If I was selecting the teams for both lineups, I would probably select something like this given the performances in the Shield so far:

Australia's Best Test Lineup XI
David Warner
Will Pucovski
Marnus Labuschange
Steve Smith
Travis Head
Cameron Green
Tim Paine* (C/WK) (Last season as captain/wicket-keeper before retiring)
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc* (Needs to show major improvement in performance)
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood

Australia's A Test Lineup XI
Marcus Harris
Joe Burns
Kurtis Patterson
Peter Handscomb (C)
Moises Henriques
Josh Inglis (WK)
Sean Abbott
Michael Neser
James Pattinson
Mitchell Swepson
Jackson Bird

(Jhye Richardson really unlucky to not be selected)

I would personally love the selectors to try some new faces out in the XI like for that Test Match against Afghanistan in November at Hobart, however given that the Test Match might be the only match Australia might play until the Ashes begin, you would think the selectors will most likely choose the best selected lineup possible that would be facing the Poms in the 1st Test at the GABBA. Therefore, players like Warner, Paine, Starc (deserve it or not) & Lyon will be selected ahead of players in the Sheffield Shield due to the lack of Test Matches being played in the upcoming calendar year.

One thing I would like Cricket Australia to do, before the home Ashes do begin would make Australia's Best Test XI play against Australia's (A) Test XI for a 1-2 practice matches to see who is in form and who isn't, similar to how they operate things before the 2019 Ashes in England began. That would give the Best XI players time on the field for match conditioning, while the other team can stake their claims for getting selection for the 1st Test.

If I was selecting the teams for both lineups, I would probably select something like this given the performances in the Shield so far:

David Warner
Will Pucovski
Marnus Labuschange
Steve Smith
Travis Head
Cameron Green
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood

Marcus Harris
Joe Burns
Kurtis Patterson
Peter Handscomb (C)
Moises Henriques
Josh Inglis (WK)
Sean Abbott
Michael Neser
James Pattinson
Mitchell Swepson
Jackson Bird

Starc does not belong even in the Aus A side on form

Starc does not belong even in the Aus A side on form

Yeah true but I bet you any money he will get a couple of wickets at the beginning of next season Shield and then already be Best XI according the the selectors if you like it or not.

I'd almost go Carey as a bat over Head
Not his fault he didn't play much Shield cricket, but would like to see him get better FC numbers under his belt.

As frustrating as Head is, he does average a tick under 40 in Test cricket and has 2 Test tons, so deserves another crack IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Warner
Will Pucovski
Marnus Labuschange
Steve Smith
Travis Head
Cameron Green
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood

Marcus Harris
Joe Burns
Kurtis Patterson
Peter Handscomb (C)
Moises Henriques
Josh Inglis (WK)
Sean Abbott
Michael Neser
James Pattinson
Mitchell Swepson
Jackson Bird

Jhye Richardson is knocking on the door of the Test team, not the A team. I would have both him and Pattinson ahead of Starc.

David Warner
Will Pucovski
Marnus Labuschange
Steve Smith
Travis Head
Cameron Green
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood

Marcus Harris
Joe Burns
Kurtis Patterson
Peter Handscomb (C)
Moises Henriques
Josh Inglis (WK)
Sean Abbott
Michael Neser
James Pattinson
Mitchell Swepson
Jackson Bird

Good idea but they’ll probably be in India in the lead up.

Not his fault he didn't play much Shield cricket, but would like to see him get better FC numbers under his belt.

As frustrating as Head is, he does average a tick under 40 in Test cricket and has 2 Test tons, so deserves another crack IMO.
And if you take out the worst Sri Lankan side they've ever played at home his record is 849 runs at 31 with 1 century and 5 fifties from 28 innings. He's just one of those guys who dominates below but can't make the step up.

Unfortunately he didn’t get to play any FC cricket this year so it makes it hard to press his claim
I don't think it matters that much, he's already got a taste of Test cricket, the talent is there for all to see, he bowled well in the formats he was able to play. He's not an unknown quantity that needs to show selectors he can bowl, once fit, he should under consideration. And it's not like Starc's FC form is keeping him out.

I don't think it matters that much, he's already got a taste of Test cricket, the talent is there for all to see, he bowled well in the formats he was able to play. He's not an unknown quantity that needs to show selectors he can bowl, once fit, he should under consideration. And it's not like Starc's FC form is keeping him out.
His last FC game was in November 2019 it is very much an issue. You can not judge his form or readiness for test cricket from 4 over spells in the IPL/BBL

His last FC game was in November 2019 it is very much an issue. You can not judge his form or readiness for test cricket from 4 over spells in the IPL/BBL
He will get a chance when the Shield season resumes ahead of the first Test. I'm saying the lack of FC cricket since 2019 isn't that much of an issue, we know what he can do, he's showing he still has the talent, his fitness will be much clearer by next summer, if he's fit and gets through Shield games, he should be up for consideration as much as anyone. Players come back from injury without going through FC cricket all the time; of course, they usually have credits in the bank.

Frankly, every game of FC cricket Starc plays hurts his cause, we need to be looking at Pattinson and Richardson.

He will get a chance when the Shield season resumes ahead of the first Test. I'm saying the lack of FC cricket since 2019 isn't that much of an issue, we know what he can do, he's showing he still has the talent, his fitness will be much clearer by next summer, if he's fit and gets through Shield games, he should be up for consideration as much as anyone. Players come back from injury without going through FC cricket all the time; of course, they usually have credits in the bank.

Frankly, every game of FC cricket Starc plays hurts his cause, we need to be looking at Pattinson and Richardson.

I am by no means arguing for Starc I agree he has to go

But someone like Richardson has to play a good block of shield games to get selected. I hope he can break into the side but he has to bowl in red ball cricket

There's a fair bit of sunken cost fallacy in Australian Cricket.

They've invested too much into Starc to throw him one now. They're determined to get some reward from that when if it isn't working.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back