Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Afghanistan XI should basically be an "Australia A" with certain players playing for the spot in the Ashes and a couple of guarantees. I'd pretty much go with 4 seamers and rely on spin from the middle order. Something like:

Pucovski
Harris
Labuschagne
Head
Henriques
Carey
Paine (c, +)
Neser
Pattinson
Starc
Richardson

Assuming both Patto and Richo are fit. Which is far from guaranteed. The four seamers competing for that last spot. Head/Henriques/Carey competing for the last middle order spot.
I'd probably play Warner and Smith seeing as they won't have played much red ball cricket in a year, it would also be good to have Pucovski getting some more synergy with Warner for the first test. I'd rest Cummins/Hazlewood and Lyon though.

Pucovski
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head/Henriques/Carey
Head/Henriques/Carey
Paine (c, +)
Neser
Pattinson
Starc
Richardson

Is it more beneficial to Australian cricket that Warner and Smith beat up on Afghanistan or work out who should fill spots in the XI for the Ashes? Same with Cummins, Lyon and Hazlewood? The only maybe I would have is Lyon, who would be down on confidence after last summer. If they do go with Lyon I'd have Green in the side instead of Lab though.

The side I put up is good enough to account for Afghanistan.

I’d argue it is a chance for players to find form. Outside of one or two of the quicks I’d say we go in full strength.

I'd probably play Warner and Smith seeing as they won't have played much red ball cricket in a year, it would also be good to have Pucovski getting some more synergy with Warner for the first test. I'd rest Cummins/Hazlewood and Lyon though.

Pucovski
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head/Henriques/Carey
Head/Henriques/Carey
Paine (c, +)
Neser
Pattinson
Starc
Richardson
Have you cemented Pucovski at opener? Not if given his history of concussions. Isn't there a greater chance to suffer a more serious injury getting sconed by the new cherry than a likely softer one batting down the order. I am betting if you ask Puck where he wants to bat.. it'd not be as opener.

Starc's huge form loss and obvious decreased potency surely now has his place as our third bowler in serious jeopardy. I have either Pattinson or Richardson battling for his spot in the Ashes. Neser tho may jump both of em.

Last edited:

Out of Head/Henriques/Carey.. the latter is hands down for mine. Carey needs a crack as batsman only both against the Afghans and the Pommies given he is the favorite to inherit Tim's gloves. If Puck opens Carey bats at #5 or #6.

Last edited:
Have you cemented Pucovski at opener? Not if given his history of concussions. Isn't there a greater chance to suffer a more serious injury getting sconed by the new cherry than a likely softer one batting down the order. I am betting if you ask Puck where he wants to bat.. it'd not be as opener.

Starc's huge form loss and obvious decreased potency surely now has his place as our third bowler in serious jeopardy. I have either Pattinson or Richardson battling for his spot in the Ashes. Neser tho may jump both of em.
Pucovski is in our top 6 batters, and seeing as he's opened for Vic all last season and for Australia this summer, I think CA are trying to make him an opener. If Pucovksi isn't picked, they'd probably have to go back to Harris.

Hopefully Starc is dropped for any of those 3 preferably Patto

Pucovski is in our top 6 batters, and seeing as he's opened for Vic all last season and for Australia this summer, I think CA are trying to make him an opener. If Pucovksi isn't picked, they'd probably have to go back to Harris.

Harris doing well in county cricket - 557 runs at 61.88. Good summary of who's doing what:

You talking of the two doubles he gathered from the extremely batting friendly Adelaide Oval early in the shield. I watched both innings and dead set neither Puck nor Harris were put under any sort of pressure on those decks. Dont get me wrong I reckon Pucovski is a class above Harris and most of our other first class batsmen. But he is suss aganst the short fast ball so prefer he batted lower in the Test order at least until he establishes himself.

I’d argue it is a chance for players to find form. Outside of one or two of the quicks I’d say we go in full strength.
I'd agree with this. After a year of security bubbles and little red ball cricket I'm betting our Test boys are champing at the bit for some cricket and a chance to show the plucky Afghans where they stand in the world pecking order.

The Afghanistan XI should basically be an "Australia A" with certain players playing for the spot in the Ashes and a couple of guarantees. I'd pretty much go with 4 seamers and rely on spin from the middle order. Something like:

Pucovski
Harris
Labuschagne
Head
Henriques
Carey
Paine (c, +)
Neser
Pattinson
Starc
Richardson

Assuming both Patto and Richo are fit. Which is far from guaranteed. The four seamers competing for that last spot. Head/Henriques/Carey competing for the last middle order spot.
Too smart by half. Lack of test cricket means they should just play the best 11.

Pucovski
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head/Henriques/Carey
Head/Henriques/Carey
Paine (c, +)
Neser
Pattinson
Starc
Richardson
No way you play Starc he was dog s**t even in the shield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll give him the opportunity to see what his form is like before the ashes, but I'd personally go Pattinson as the last quick
Cummins and Hazelwood are locked in for the Ashes then I would play Patto, Neser and Richardson let them fight it out for the third spot. With Green no need for four front line seamers, we will also play either Lyon or Swepson. Starc is done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back