Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ponting backing Meredith to debut this Summer lmao. Replace Starc with a guy that is even more erratic that can't maintain his pace for more than one spell, that will do the trick... Billy Stanlake 2.0

Bit harsh article says Meredith is a chance along with Jhye ....In regards to Starc he need to improve in the early shield rounds to guarantee his spot

Will be interesting to see if we go down the rotation path...the bowlers looked cooked come the last test against the Indians

Ponting backing Meredith to debut this Summer lmao. Replace Starc with a guy that is even more erratic that can't maintain his pace for more than one spell, that will do the trick... Billy Stanlake 2.0
A Tasmanian backing a Tasmanian?

Surely Meredith is well down the list...after Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc (Aussie selectors will still have him in the frame), you'd surely have Pattinson, Richardson and Nesser ahead.
Meredith would be lucky to play ahead of Kane Richardson let alone Jhye Richardson.

Will be interesting to see if we go down the rotation path...the bowlers looked cooked come the last test against the Indians

cooked ? are you kidding me.

it was a 4 test summer and prior to that series we hadn't played test cricket for 11 months.

the facts were lyon had an average summer and starc under performed.

cooked ? are you kidding me.

it was a 4 test summer and prior to that series we hadn't played test cricket for 11 months.

the facts were lyon had an average summer and starc under performed.

Yeah I know they where poor both lyon and starc....and they looked tired

reckon they will consider a rotation policy again come the summer even though we have not played much test cricket lately

Yeah, they were all definitely cooked by Brisbane. Back to back tests.

i think you've gone soft on them.

it's not as if they haven't played back to back tests before.

it was a 4 test series c'mon.

after adelaide it was 1-0, after melbourne 1-0 (lost c'ship points to slow over rates to ultimately cost us the world test c'ship final) then we got warner back, lost on our bowlers home deck in sydney and brisbane of all places - all to an under manned india - we just weren't up to it.

Yeah I know they where poor both lyon and starc....and they looked tired

reckon they will consider a rotation policy again come the summer even though we have not played much test cricket lately

well come the start of the summer:
- lyon will be 34,
- starc, patto & neser 31
- hazlewood 30

cummins still only 28.

we may need to think about the bowlers on the horizon like jhye who's had a taste of test cricket already.

i'll be interested to see the starting XI in the first test v afghanistan (as long as it don't get cancelled again).

i'd like to see us pay respect to them as a test nation and put out our best XI.

i think you've gone soft on them.

it's not as if they haven't played back to back tests before.

it was a 4 test series c'mon.

after adelaide it was 1-0, after melbourne 1-0 (lost c'ship points to slow over rates to ultimately cost us the world test c'ship final) then we got warner back, lost on our bowlers home deck in sydney and brisbane of all places - all to an under manned india - we just weren't up to it.

Brisbane came straight after India batted long at Sydney. India rightly targeted that Cummins and Halewood were the only bowling threats and made them bowl more than they wanted.

Said at the time the whole team was up to their necks in it. Not necessarily the use of sandpaper specifically but ball tampering. Should have been an acknowledgement that the practice was widespread, that they took it too far, maybe a couple of games for the main three, but a collective responsibility. Instead, they tried to shield others and it will end up looking like a cover-up.

That said, Bancroft should not be doing interviews to explain the situation if he’s not willing to be 100 per cent honest. Be up front or shut up. It doesn’t rebuild his reputation to still be covering for others or hedging his bets with some statements.
But tampering to a certain extent is accepted within cricket. Yes the team would all know how we were looking to get it swinging still think the sand paper was a spur of the moment thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well come the start of the summer:
- lyon will be 34,
- starc, patto & neser 31
- hazlewood 30

cummins still only 28.

we may need to think about the bowlers on the horizon like jhye who's had a taste of test cricket already.

i'll be interested to see the starting XI in the first test v afghanistan (as long as it don't get cancelled again).

i'd like to see us pay respect to them as a test nation and put out our best XI.
We will go with a young side as we should. No point rolling out all the established players

We will go with a young side as we should. No point rolling out all the established players

you dont think cummins, hazlewood and perhaps lyon are all certain starters ?

i'm not so sure on starc in the test arena now and his imminent replacements are the same age patto & neser.

patto , neser and jhye could be the ones looked at to play a role this summer unless selectors believe all of warnie's hype about rainbird.

i'm not so sure on starc in the test arena now and his imminent replacements are the same age patto & neser.

patto , neser and jhye could be the ones looked at to play a role this summer unless selectors believe all of warnie's hype about rainbird.

Rule 1: Never believe Warnie's hype of any young player.

He hypes Meredith, not Rainbird.

Unlikely with 5 tests against England coming up. Players will be rested as they should

Unlikely with 5 tests against England coming up. Players will be rested as they should

rested ? what are they doing now ? we havent played test cricket since january - they are rested and fresh.

furthermore , by the time the aussie summer starts we will have played 9 tests in the last 2years and 3 months.

the whole 'resting' from the last ashes series is really a myth.

lyon and cummins played all 5 tests and hazlewood played 4 , only missing the 1st test after coming back off a long injury.

it was that last bowling spot up for grabs which saw siddle play 3, patto 2, starc 1 and neser 0.

The Afghanistan XI should basically be an "Australia A" with certain players playing for the spot in the Ashes and a couple of guarantees. I'd pretty much go with 4 seamers and rely on spin from the middle order. Something like:

Pucovski
Harris
Labuschagne
Head
Henriques
Carey
Paine (c, +)
Neser
Pattinson
Starc
Richardson

Assuming both Patto and Richo are fit. Which is far from guaranteed. The four seamers competing for that last spot. Head/Henriques/Carey competing for the last middle order spot.

The Afghanistan XI should basically be an "Australia A" with certain players playing for the spot in the Ashes and a couple of guarantees. I'd pretty much go with 4 seamers and rely on spin from the middle order. Something like:

Assuming both Patto and Richo are fit. Which is far from guaranteed. The four seamers competing for that last spot. Head/Henriques/Carey competing for the last middle order spot.

this is an official test match and should be treated as such. it's the first of a 6 test match summer and we should be playing our best XI.

if it was just a 4 day first class match , then i'd agree wholeheartedly.

mind you the side you put together is a competitive side (i probably would've had Swepson and had carey out- as we are craving another decent spinner)
so you were effectively 'resting' warner, smith, green, cummins, hazlewood and lyon.

this is an official test match and should be treated as such. it's the first of a 6 test match summer and we should be playing our best XI.

if it was just a 4 day first class match , then i'd agree wholeheartedly.

mind you the side you put together is a competitive side (i probably would've had Swepson and had carey out- as we are craving another decent spinner)
so you were effectively 'resting' warner, smith, green, cummins, hazlewood and lyon.
Is it more beneficial to Australian cricket that Warner and Smith beat up on Afghanistan or work out who should fill spots in the XI for the Ashes? Same with Cummins, Lyon and Hazlewood? The only maybe I would have is Lyon, who would be down on confidence after last summer. If they do go with Lyon I'd have Green in the side instead of Lab though.

The side I put up is good enough to account for Afghanistan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back