Online Board Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi people,

Considering isolation has reduced our ability to play board games with groups of people, I've moved to online board games.

Facebook has a good group called VBPerth

Feel free for anyone to join, we also have a discord server that is great for organising and playing games.

I am currently enjoing board game arena and playing games like Troyes, Clans of Caledonia, Tzolkin, Love Letter, Saboteur, Sushi Go, Jaipur...

Last edited:
Catan?

Must say it only cops a mention in the 'Other' section above but I have been doing video conferences dedicated to Jackbox party games which have all still been highly entertaining and full of laughs.
From my experience it's been well worth it to run a video conference simultaneously when playing any of the online games though really, not as stimulating without that element.

Haven't played them but have heard good things particularly about Scythe and Carcassone.

How do these play online?
Got this bundle on the weekend so my wife and I had some different games to do online with our 2 regular board game friends. Played Love Letter, Potion Explosion and Carcassone. Having all three ‘real’ versions the online ones feel largely the same. Worth getting if you’ve friends to play with, whilst waiting to meet up in person.

Here's the bigger version:

full

Steam are having their Summer Sale right now. Quite a few digital board games discounted. Also, Tabletop Simulator is down to ~$15.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like to play online games. My favorite board game is the chess, ludo, snakes and ladders, etc. You can play with friends and family.

I've been playing a lot with friends on Boardgamearena recently, but in turn-based mode. In some instances it's been great (Space Base), but others not so much (Blood Rage).

✅
  • AP has less of a negative impact
  • You can jump in when you have a few spare minutes
  • Have multiple games on the go (I think I had 15 at one point)

❎
  • You're taken out of the context of a particular game and possible strategies (although you can take notes on BGA)
  • The attraction of certain games is their more rapid nature and table talk
  • Some games aren't configured very well for mobile play (e.g. A Feast for Odin) so don't lend themselves to playing a turn when you have 5 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back