Online racial trolling & BigFooty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Colonisation was an inevitability, it was just a matter of who and when.
I'm not sure whether anyone could categorically say the British were any better or worse than whatever other group was going to colonise the place next, but it's unrealistic to think that the people here were going to exist distinct from the rest of the world for all that much longer, or that the outcome would be drastically better if it was the Dutch, or the French, or anyone else who came along.

Then the back pedalling starts
You what?

I made literally no commentary on past behaviour.

Take your strawman somewhere else.
Also not what I said, was it?

if you make a statement , stand by it .
You think colonisation was inevitable so justified :rolleyes:

How was I justifying it? I made no commentary whatsoever on it.

Do you believe that, had the British not turned up in 1788 with some convicts, the Aboriginal peoples living here would have been left undisturbed for the following 200 odd years? If not, you're agreeing with exactly what I wrote, the colonisation was an inevitability.
It doesn't matter if you didn't say something, some of the people in here will twist your words and say you said it anyway, which is the problem with these debates.

If the hat fits, wear it.

What hat is that, the made up KKK hood you've assigned to people because you're incapable of simply reading what's written? Must be tough existing in society with the reading comprehension of a 4 year old.

American racists wear their hate with pride. They proudly state they are racist.

Australian racists dont have the balls to say I hate because of colour , they hate being told they are part of THAT group.
Hence we get Goodes was a toseer, he slides into people etc. . Just say he is black and you dont like him coz of that.

Wish they would just say I like indigenous people seen but not heard And stop with the pretence they are fair minded people!!
:heavycheck:

We definitely have some issues with people with weird beliefs.

Report and ignore is our advice.

Edit: When you report it, mods will evaluate the content and make a decision. If you disagree contact a Super or Admin for a review.

These are:
Me
Messenger
ShanDog
_Mike_
Starburns_
Ant_
weird beliefs?

What gets me is if its a thought/opinion against somebody/something that is non white folk people jump up and down that its racist, unless its comes out as hate and violence, then its just that, a thought/opinion. Maybe it happens because people like being on a high horse.
One example of double standards.
If i said i dont like the french because most are arrogant people, it would not raise a how dare you, people would say no thats stereotyping and calmly say not all are.
Yet if you say i dont like indians because most seem lazy and shady, you would get people saying that's raciest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umm, the country’s entire history from that point onwards, including the things that don’t include genocide?

Yes or no: would you take issue with it being changed to another associated with British colonisation? You’re only saying this about Jan 26 because you want it to be about genocide.

The First Fleet arrived in mid Jan.

The 26th was the date that the Poms declared there were no humans here and put their flag in the ground. It was the day they claimed Australia as theirs.

No doubt people would disagree with any celebration of the English coming here - but to specifically choose the date where Indigenous people were not recognised as humans, and had their land taken, is particularly rough.

If i said i dont like the french because most are arrogant people, it would not raise a how dare you, people would say no thats stereotyping and calmly say not all are.

Almost like being French is a nationality rather than a race?

Doesn't matter why the 26th was chosen. The fact is that that particular date is a bad one.

The date's changed heaps over the years. Don't know why it must be on that date.
It doesn’t “have to be on that date”. But we also can’t change it because we found racism where it doesn’t exist. We also can’t come up with a revised Australia Day which is borne in an atmosphere of judgement and disapproval, and an exaggerated discomfort with our colonial past, and expect everyone to participate

It's even funnier when they say "But no other Indigenous player got booed!"

Yeah that's because Goodes was the one to call you out on your sh*t and you hated that.
Goodes situation is the same as Selwood, Cotchin and even at times Burgoyne. Champions of the game who at the end of their career became or have become nasty and dirty in their play using every trick in the book and trading on their good name to get away with it. I can't lose respect for burgoyne because he is one of my beloved hawks but I recognise he has fallen into this a bit. Jack riewoldt is the same. I regularly berate them all(except burger) as they have fallen from grace and I will not have it there is an ounce of racism in this thought or stance.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

The 'reality' is that your comment about 'wars and invasions', an echo of something oft repeated across social media as if it actually means something, is totally irrelevant to the discussion of Australian Indigenous history post 1788.

Because by the late 18th Century Britain had a sophisticated set of laws and protocols in relation to colonisation of foreign lands, specifically relating to how it dealt with the ownership and recompense of land. Laws and protocols that had been in development for well over 2 centuries prior to 1788 but were specifically ignored in relation to the land we now know as Australia. This was in complete contrast to how they treated the occupants of other nations in the southern pacific and even the Indigenous people's of North America.

Britain did NOT regard their colonisation of this land as an invasion or a war, as your false comparison attempts to suggest. They treated Australia as terra nullus - an unowned land. And they used that falsehood to apply British colonial law to deny Indigenous Australians any property rights in the land and vested ownership of the entire continent to the British Government.

The doctrine of terra nullus remained the law in Australia to as recently as 1992, when the factual negligence of the claim as the basis for subsequent actions by the British was exposed by the Australian Court.

There is deep irony in the fact that so many posters in this thread and in discussions of Australian history in general go to great lengths to highlight the substantial legacy and debt owed to Great Britain by successive generations of Australians, specifically in relation to the adoption of the British legal system. Yet at the same time the failure of the British to apply their own laws in relation to recognising Indigenous rights for over 200 years is simply ignored.

Your so-called 'reality' is nothing of the sort. It the sort of simplistic nonsense that continues to underlie much of the unconscious systemic racism that still exists in Australia almost 250 years after the arrival of the first convict transport fleet at Botany Bay.

Until Australians get a thirst to get a factual understanding of the history of their colonial past as opposed to making cheap false comparisons with comic book stories of past 'wars' and 'invasions' we will be no closer to understanding why there is still a substantial gap between the quality of life of Indigenous and non Indigenous Australians in 2021.
You genuinely seem to be quite knowlegeable about Aust. History and the Mabo decision for eg. I would like you to answer this question.
If the british had not declared this land terra nullius then would they have done anything different or more horribly, actually invaded and possibly comitted total genocide like they effectively did in tasmania? Is there any possibility of accord really? There is no way I can see to undo what has happened and also move foward and be this current nation including celebrating any part of it. I think an Australia day is an affront to the indigenous people. Yet that is also what has to happen.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back