Online racial trolling & BigFooty.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's funny is I consider the media & people comparing esava to naitanui actually racist whereas booing Goodes isn't racist at all.

Is he destined to become a ruck because he is fijian and because naitanui did.. for some reason this real form of racism is socially acceptable. Crazy!

Here we are again.

Some of the defense regarding Taylor Walker has been extraordinary, and I must acknowledge much of the strident criticism of the action has come from Adelaide fans.

The defense though? Wow wee! One of the most common agreements has been ‘Robbie Young deserves it as he is a grub.’ or similar.

Robbie Young may be a ‘grub’, however associating his racial characteristics with perceived poor personal actions has been deplorable, and significantly, unactioned by the BigFooty team - providing a haven for racist trolls to peddle soft/casual racism to the point where it is normalized.

Whilst this is an online forum, discussion board, and occasional ‘news source’ for lazy journalists - the lack of standards regarding defense of casual racism is a poor reflection on the community.

If BF does not want to regarded as an online forum, discussion board, occasional ‘news source’ for online journalist, and a haven for online trolls a clear community standard of moderation is needed.

Here we are again.

Some of the defense regarding Taylor Walker has been extraordinary, and I must acknowledge much of the strident criticism of the action has come from Adelaide fans.

The defense though? Wow wee! One of the most common agreements has been ‘Robbie Young deserves it as he is a grub.’ or similar.

Robbie Young may be a ‘grub’, however associating his racial characteristics with perceived poor personal actions has been deplorable, and significantly, unactioned by the BigFooty team - providing a haven for racist trolls to peddle soft/casual racism to the point where it is normalized.

Whilst this is an online forum, discussion board, and occasional ‘news source’ for lazy journalists - the lack of standards regarding defense of casual racism is a poor reflection on the community.

If BF does not want to regarded as an online forum, discussion board, occasional ‘news source’ for online journalist, and a haven for online trolls a clear community standard of moderation is needed.

Cheers,
Daniel
Ok

Hit the report button mate.
I too would like to see a more elaborate explanation of what is deemed inappropriate in regards to racism
It is clear a direct racist remark is dealt with but in regard to discussion defending a racist point of view , this is tolerated. To me this is wrong and is just trolling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me either. I'm a middle aged white middle class male.

Except in England I was "another Aussie over here takin' our jobs".
I see a little bit of it being in that same bracket (we had a new senior exec stand up in front of our workforce and say he will not consider anyone over 40 or white for any promotions as he wants new ideas) but that is small compared to what some people face.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have so many questions about other people’s perceptions of us black people but I won’t go into them. However, I’m going to make some points (or will rant, whichever way you want to look at it lol) about the topic of the black race as this is a big issue in our community, on online forums (including Bigfooty), and your fave social media apps.

I'll start off by saying that black people are the race that other races look down on the most in general from my experience. Let's get the elephant in the room out of the way. A common misconception that some people have is that it’s only white people that are looking down on black people. In short, that's definitely not the case. Otherwise, we wouldn’t see so many languages having a derogatory word for black people.

So, let me say something to the non-black folk trolling away online (and in person) in case they come across this thread by chance. I am black because I’m born that way and you’re not because you were born that way. Neither of us chose our race, meaning that it is something that is assigned to us without our own doing. Don’t for one second think you’re superior to someone else because of your respective races. That’s a false sense of superiority. Why? Because great black people weren’t stopped by their blackness, and bad people from your race were not saved by being from your race.
There is no credible evidence that suggests there are innate personality and character traits depending on what race you were born. That's why superiority and inferiority are identified by who you are as a person irrespective of your race. So, what determines who you are as a person? Answer: it is what actions you do and what condition your heart is in (heart in this context refers to your inner monologue AKA your thoughts, and your convictions).

Sit down and get to know black people beyond those couple of friends you have that you lean upon as proof that you are not racist. You’ll hopefully see how varied we are in personality and other characteristics just like your own race. You’ll find that there are going to be some that are good, some that are bad, and many in between. Why? Because that’s what it means to be from the human race. What you see from your race applies to the black race as well. In fact, it applies to every other race.

Therefore, what is there to be arrogant about when it comes to black people? Furthermore, what is there to be arrogant about when it comes to a race other than your own? And yes, black people can be racist towards other races as well in the context of how we used the word 'racist' nowadays. Being racist is a sign of underlying arrogance towards a group or race. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have felt so comfortable associating a generalised negative trait or words with a strong negative connotation towards an entire race.

Bottom line is that your race does not elevate nor degrade you. That's all on you, so don't think that others are elevated or degraded by the race that they are from either.

Don't know how this is still something that some people struggle with. Rant over.

I have so many questions about other people’s perceptions of us black people but I won’t go into them. However, I’m going to make some points (or will rant, whichever way you want to look at it lol) about the topic of the black race as this is a big issue in our community, on online forums (including Bigfooty), and your fave social media apps.

I'll start off by saying that black people are the race that other races look down on the most in general from my experience. Let's get the elephant in the room out of the way. A common misconception that some people have is that it’s only white people that are looking down on black people. In short, that's definitely not the case. Otherwise, we wouldn’t see so many languages having a derogatory word for black people.

So, let me say something to the non-black folk trolling away online (and in person) in case they come across this thread by chance. I am black because I’m born that way and you’re not because you were born that way. Neither of us chose our race, meaning that it is something that is assigned to us without our own doing. Don’t for one second think you’re superior to someone else because of your respective races. That’s a false sense of superiority. Why? Because great black people weren’t stopped by their blackness, and bad people from your race were not saved by being from your race.
There is no credible evidence that suggests there are innate personality and character traits depending on what race you were born. That's why superiority and inferiority are identified by who you are as a person irrespective of your race. So, what determines who you are as a person? Answer: it is what actions you do and what condition your heart is in (heart in this context refers to your inner monologue AKA your thoughts, and your convictions).

Sit down and get to know black people beyond those couple of friends you have that you lean upon as proof that you are not racist. You’ll hopefully see how varied we are in personality and other characteristics just like your own race. You’ll find that there are going to be some that are good, some that are bad, and many in between. Why? Because that’s what it means to be from the human race. What you see from your race applies to the black race as well. In fact, it applies to every other race.

Therefore, what is there to be arrogant about when it comes to black people? Furthermore, what is there to be arrogant about when it comes to a race other than your own? And yes, black people can be racist towards other races as well in the context of how we used the word 'racist' nowadays. Being racist is a sign of underlying arrogance towards a group or race. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have felt so comfortable associating a generalised negative trait or words with a strong negative connotation towards an entire race.

Bottom line is that your race does not elevate nor degrade you. That's all on you, so don't think that others are elevated or degraded by the race that they are from either.

Don't know how this is still something that some people struggle with. Rant over.

I bet that sounded better in your head.

Here we are again.

Agree with everything here except that BF is a racist forum, there are racist individuals but the site owners MO clearly opposes that - his attitude ITT has been incredible.

Racism needs to be stamped out in Footy entirely and I am incredibly indebted to the brave face our racially vilified players put on when they call it out. I cannot imagine what it feels like to be racially abused in the way that they have been.

The way English football has responded to the racial attacks on the young black men who missed penalties in the Euros has been A class. With Tottenham fans launching pre-game support of an Arsenal player (think Adelaide vs Port Adelaide) after the racial trolling he was victimised to being a perfect example.

Keep reporting racial trolling when you see it and don’t get into shouting matches with idiots on here who spout their racism behind their keyboards. It’ll only serve to frustrate you. You won’t win the argument, but if you can report that vile s**t I’m sure Chief will do a good job cleaning it up.

I bet that sounded better in your head.
Why, do you disagree with anything that I said??? If so, then you are exactly a person who needs to shut up and listen on this topic. If not and believe that I haven’t communicated this in a pleasant way, then please enlighten us with your eloquence :rolleyes:

The truth is that people simply need to learn that race isn’t that deep. Yesterday’s an exact example of what I talked about. Aliir did well and online trolls make disparaging comments about him and his race. Like, why? How is him being black something to comment on after he did well? There is underlying issues of arrogance here - even if they are trolling and ‘stirring the pot’. What is there to be arrogant about when it comes to race?

Some people have weird perception of what race means and educating them on tolerance is not enough. Saying ‘do better’ or ‘stop trolling’ is not enough. They need to change their whole perception of what race means.

Why, do you disagree with anything that I said??? If so, then you are exactly a person who needs to shut up and listen on this topic. If not and believe that I haven’t communicated this in a pleasant way, then please enlighten us with your eloquence :rolleyes:

The truth is that people simply need to learn that race isn’t that deep. Yesterday’s an exact example of what I talked about. Aliir did well and online trolls make disparaging comments about him and his race. Like, why? How is him being black something to comment on after he did well? There is underlying issues of arrogance here - even if they are trolling and ‘stirring the pot’. What is there to be arrogant about when it comes to race?

Some people have weird perception of what race means and educating them on tolerance is not enough. Saying ‘do better’ or ‘stop trolling’ is not enough. They need to change their whole perception of what race means.
It’s not that I disagree, I think are denying the context and stating the obvious to a point that borders on autofellatio.
You say that the answer is for people to simply stop considering themselves superior to others based on race, yet we have commenters here saying that THIS thread proves that bigfooty is a haven for racist trolls, despite nobody expressing those sentiments whatsoever.
We all know that at some point the requirement changed from “don’t be racist” to “you must be intensely interested in peoples’ race and adequately demonstrate your anti-racist credentials at every given opportunity.”

I guess I probably agree with you more than others here, I was just annoyed at how simple you were making it sound. Sorry for the overreaction I guess.

It’s not that I disagree, I think are denying the context and stating the obvious to a point that borders on autofellatio.
You say that the answer is for people to simply stop considering themselves superior to others based on race, yet we have commenters here saying that THIS thread proves that bigfooty is a haven for racist trolls, despite nobody expressing those sentiments whatsoever.

Plenty of racist posts have been removed from this thread. That sentiment is here on BF, the mods/admin do their best to clean it up.

We all know that at some point the requirement changed from “don’t be racist” to “you must be intensely interested in peoples’ race and adequately demonstrate your anti-racist credentials at every given opportunity.”

I guess I probably agree with you more than others here, I was just annoyed at how simple you were making it sound. Sorry for the overreaction I guess.
That’s OK. I know what you mean and that’s true, this is what some people want and I think it’s unreasonable to expect someone to always display their anti-racism at every opportunity. A recent example people putting pressure on every mine taking the knee. It’s obvious that you don’t have to take the knee to prove that you aren’t racist. You don’t have to have BLM written in your bio on every social media page to not be racist. This is just criteria that some people put that ends up further dividing the people in my opinion and not helping.

On me making it sound simple, that’s probably wishful thinking more than anything to be honest. Unfortunately, I think it’s one of those things that will just remain too hard to fix completely in our lifetime unless some major worldwide event occurs that completely changes our world. That’s why I don’t really delve much into racial issues nowadays because I don’t see much outcome from it. I do watch and read other people’s discourse around this though. Some people have really interesting views on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back