chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Hi all, I'm starting a new job soon and considering completing an online diploma or degree.
I initially looked at Ducere where you can complete the degree at your own pace and is does in partnership with the University of Canberra and has no exams.

Upon studying up on them they seem a bit "fishy" I.e. they are not registered within the Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency or Universities Australia. Am I being paranoid or is this a dodgy institution? Anyone had any dealings with them?

Anyone on here who has an experience in completing an online diploma or degree? I'd love to hear some advice.
Of course my job is the priority so my main "needs" and "want" is flexible duration of units and completion of course.

Anyone recommend a good inline diploma/degree to complete?

Furthermore would people here recommend at least once a week touching base face to face with institution if possible?

Global Training Institute is another one I've looked into, but I'm all ears to what people have to say.

Open Universities seems to be the most reputable source as well, although I haven't studied any units fully online. I have noticed that they have partnerships with some of the more prestige Australian universities, and their units are accredited for.

How do you sit the exams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can pick the exam venue from a list. From memory, there were 8-10 venues on that list and they were all around Melbourne. The venue was often a uni and there would be 40-50 people who I assume were all studying via OU.

I was studying on campus at La Trobe and I used the summer period to complete some units at Monash and RMIT via Open Universities Australia. The Monash Exam was held at Caulfield Racecourse and the RMIT exam was held at the Hawthorn Campus of Melbourne University. You weren't able to choose a time or venue IIRC and at the end of the unit, you get an official results transcript from Monash or RMIT. I did get an Open Universities student card, not an official one from either of these institutions, so if you were to venture on campus I don't think you would be treated as if you were a Monash or RMIT student if you know what I mean.

There was very little interaction with any teaching staff, you basically get access to the online web portal where the readings, tutorial questions and assignments were posted throughout the semester. There was a web forum like this one where you could talk about subject matter with others, which was the only interaction you had with the teaching staff. Some of the posters would organise to get together to "help" each other with the Assignment, so I think being a regular contributor on the forum is helpful.

I would recommended having a set time each week where you sit down to do the readings and work as you can lose track of things very quickly with no on campus attendance.

I did my degree and one of my post-graduate through open universities. They have multiple exam site off campus you can attend or you can arrange your own invigilator.

I did the first half of my Grad Dip in Accounting as I was living overseas. This was through Deakin. Did my exams in Edinburgh.

If it's a university course you're looking to do there are plenty of standard courses that are available online.

I have nearly completed a Bachelor of Business (Marketing) at Swinburne Online. You can take as many units as you want per trimester and helps when you have to priortise work first.

I completed my Masters wholly online from the University of New England while I was working overseas. University of Southern Queensland is another university that offers good online Masters courses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back