Only a Queensland team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Do you think its a sensible focus to talk about GC entirely as a Queensland side?

Any thought about selling it as more of a borderlands team, and take in Murwillumbah, Tweed Heads and the rest of NSW northern coast down to Byron Bay?

that is a very good point, I mean it is a very long time until that area of Australia is serviced in terms of having a footy side. The proximity that the GC has with Northern NSW is a good reason to try and entice or sell the brand just that little bit south.

Id be very interested to hear what other people, particuarly non-GC's think...hell Id even invite TBD and Warwick to share their opinion:eek:

How do people see themselves up there? Is there a rivalry between the people of that part of the country based on which side of the 'border' in which they live, or is there a collective sense of pride in the area?

If northern NSWelshman like the identity of the Gold Coast, I can't see why you wouldn't market a GC team to that area. However, I was under the impression that there is indeed a strong rivalry between the states?

Do you think its a sensible focus to talk about GC entirely as a Queensland side?

Any thought about selling it as more of a borderlands team, and take in Murwillumbah, Tweed Heads and the rest of NSW northern coast down to Byron Bay?

Yep good question , i know the Titans are pushing hard as far south as Coffs Harbour , by playing practice games , training sessions and promoting the game . I'd say we will be doing similar in that cathment area.

Traditionally the Gold Coast appeals more to the Northern New South Wales market and I can't see why they wouldn't recruit from and sell a fan base as far south as Coffs Harbour, especially as it is an area often neglected by the AFL and is a growing market. Would be a very smart market to target.

I don't think the South Wests would be a good idea to market to as from Ipswich to Stanthorpe inclusive is pretty much League and Union territory (and Soccer is a growing entity in Warwick and Stanthorpe these days too) with a deep xenophobia towards AFL. You may be able to find some talent there but you won't get much support from there.

Geographically the GC is QLD yet has the Northern NSW flavour that attracts people .IMO they'll be targetting the GC as an entity and not as the "second" QLD team .

I think all posts are valid thus far about the team having its own entity identity and not just here to make up numbers and to give QLD a second team.

When the BL were dominant if you did a poll with Queenslanders as to whether another team should be accepted into the competition they would have said no. I think they have now changed their tone a bit now that it will concentrate on being its own team.

it wont have a geographical demographic, it will be liked by many different people for many different reasons. It will gladly accept supporters from Northern NSW Im sure and the proximity will ensure many weakends are spent going to the footy up the coast.

Geographically the GC is QLD yet has the Northern NSW flavour that attracts people .IMO they'll be targetting the GC as an entity and not as the "second" QLD team .

they get NSW news broadcasts, i think it is safe to say that they have no problem with NSW, although, the NSW might not be as accomodating

Remove this Banner Ad

Back