Autopsy Only the 22 that Played, Getting a Medal - Time For a Change

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys,

I have been saying for years that every player that played a game throughout the year for the club should get a metal, as they've all contributed.
The moment between Beveridge and Murphy was special, but shouldn't need to have happened.
Imagine going all the way through your career, and not getting a premiership medal because of an injury, or being a 50/50 selection? You still contributed to a premiership winning team.
Such a small thing to the AFL, but such a massive thing to the players.

Thoughts?

Been saying this for years and it should be like the premier league where you get a medal if you played over a certain threshold of games. McGlynn (and possibly Mills) probably would't have got the pity-start today when he was half baked.

That said, the Murphy thing wouldn't be fixed by this. In the EPL he wouldn't get a medal after only 2.5 games.

Been saying this for years and it should be like the premier league where you get a medal if you played over a certain threshold of games. McGlynn (and possibly Mills) probably would't have got the pity-start today when he was half baked.

That said, the Murphy thing wouldn't be fixed by this. In the EPL he wouldn't get a medal after only 2.5 games.

Captain should always get one IMO.

Captain should always get one IMO.

I agree that captain should always get one regardless because they are the captain.

But against every player. Where to you draw the line? Should someone who plays say in round 1 and then just get dropped for the reminder of the season get a medal? Give it to the captain did leave it at that

I disagree.

Only those who braved the ordeal of a Grand Final and came out the otherside as winners should have one. There will always be hard luck stories. Just goes to show how hard it is to win one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree.

Only those who braved the ordeal of a Grand Final and came out the otherside as winners should have one. There will always be hard luck stories. Just goes to show how hard it is to win one.

As a player you commit to a legacy, not just a game. A grand final is more than that, it's not just the 22 on the field that contribute, it's an entire team that gets there. Lin Jong should be a premiership player, Rob Murphy should be a premiership player as should many more before them.

As a player you commit to a legacy, not just a game. A grand final is more than that, it's not just the 22 on the field that contribute, it's an entire team that gets there. Lin Jong should be a premiership player, Rob Murphy should be a premiership player as should many more before them.

Your legacy is that your team won the flag. At the end of the day every player is just a piece in a machine, part of a bigger picture.

In 100 years I'm not sure if people will remember Shane Biggs last quarter heroics. Or the way Hamling destroyed Buddy. What they will remember is that the Bulldogs won the 2016 AFL Premiership.

I'm pretty sure most overseas professional leagues are like that. One of the many quirks of our game and it's not a good thing.

In 100 years I'm not sure if people will remember Shane Biggs last quarter heroics. Or the way Hamling destroyed Buddy. What they will remember is that the Bulldogs won the 2016 AFL Premiership.

Leo Barry, decidedly average player, remembered a a legend, Stewart Dew in 2008, Paul Barnard in 2000? The individuals are what make this game special. I think that's a poor argument.

It's funny as in this instance i don't think murphy should get a medal. Didn't play in enough games. In other seasons where a player has played 15-20 games for the year like say jaymie graham for west coast in 2006 where he played 24 games then fair enough but 3 games out of 26 doesn't deserve it, no matter how good he has been for the dogs in years past.

Yes, but only if said player has played a certain number of games. 10 at least.
The English FA awards discretionary premiership medals to the clubs to then award to players as they see fit. Hence why Mark Schwarzer got a premiership medallion at Leicester last season without playing a game. Because the club recognised the contribution a backup keeper makes to the team, week in week out, even if they don't play.

The AFL should follow suit. Maybe 3 extra medallions for whoever the club deems worthy. They are the premiers afterall, they know who earned it.

Don't think everyone on the list should get one but there should be an amount of games that qualifys you for a medal and maybe an added rule that the captain should always get one. Also all the assistant coaches should get one.

every single player in the competition contributes towards their teams premiership aspirations, but unless you were part of the 22 who won played on the day and won your club the premiership you shouldn't be awarded the medal because when it comes down to it, you weren't one of the ones who got the job done.

Would rather see Lin Jong miss out on a medal than see an absolute joke like Dayle Garlett getting one for contributing to the hawks preseason in 2014.

watching the players on stage after the post match concert, Bob Murphy is up there being interviewed again! i'm starting to feel embarrassed for the bloke.
hasn't played a game of footy since rd 3, had no bearing on Footiscray getting to the GF and absolutely no bearing on winning the GF today
the reality is the Premiership is won in just one game ie: the Grand Final, sure players may have played their part during the H&A rounds but it is the 22 players in the GF who bring home the bacon

Or you could be like this guy.

Cleveland Cavaliers bin boys get rings. :rolleyes:

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- From LeBron James down to the guy who sold you a hot dog on a Wednesday night at The Q, the entire Cavaliers' family is getting a 2016 NBA championship ring.

Majority owner Dan Gilbert and his partners decided to present rings to more than 1,000 full and part-time employees throughout the Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization, employees who've been fitted for rings told cleveland.com.

Imagine LeBron is out trying to impress the ladies and some Janitor is cutting his lunch because he also has a ''ring''

Remove this Banner Ad

Back