Opinion Only three teams can win the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Their depth also worries me. A few injuries here and there and their list drops off dramatically after their 25th player. We hear a lot about how much flying affects their players but they had a very healthy list last season. Outside of Nic Nat, did any of their best 22 miss prolonged periods? I remember Cripps and Hurn missing a bit but nothing significant. It will be interesting to see what happens if they don’t get another blessed run.
The thing about each year though is that they're completely different. Richmond 2018 had a much better run with injury than Richmond 2019, you won the flag in 2019 and bowed out in the prelim in 2018 however. We had a much worse injury run in 2018 than we had in 2019, yet we bowed out in the semi this year and won the flag the year before. Last years results have no bearing on this years outcomes.

If the Pies best players are fit and firing in 2020 then they'll also be hard to stop.

May as well write us off then, bookmark that. The Pies injury management is arguably the worst league wide - it's only system that has kept them in it. (Still reckon the list is not the quality of the other top 4 from 2019 or wc).

My view isn't bright for 2020 or beyond in fact.

The thing about each year though is that they're completely different. Richmond 2018 had a much better run with injury than Richmond 2019, you won the flag in 2019 and bowed out in the prelim in 2018 however. We had a much worse injury run in 2018 than we had in 2019, yet we bowed out in the semi this year and won the flag the year before. Last years results have no bearing on this years outcomes.
Heading into the Grand Final in 2019 our players were primed. Funnily enough, the injuries to a few players probably gave them a much needed rest throughout a long season, but by the time the Grand Final came around, they were in fantastic shape.

Heading into the Preliminary Final last year, Dusty could barely walk, Astbury was hospitalised with a stomach bug in the days leading up to the game (an ex player has since confirmed other players were affected), Lambert, Prestia and Cotchin had all missed games recently (I recall Lambert having syndesmosis surgery in the bye week, while others had clean outs).

Even though we had less available players in 2019, we didn’t carry anyone who was not 100% into the Grand Final. That was the difference.

You also never had a long injury list in 2018, but at times you missed a couple of key players which is common. I recall your form understandably dropping off throughout this period. That’s why I raised my concern about it heading into this year. I don’t think your depth is good enough should your list become properly decimated.

A lot is said about how you went on to win the flag whilst missing Gaff, Nic Nat and Sheppard, but little is said about how Collingwood were missing Moore, Elliot, Dunn, Wells, Scharenberg, etc. Goldsack also played after tearing his ACL in that same year and they had no genuine key position defenders. Collingwood copped it worse and it’s actually really strange how their injuries have been downplayed while yours were exaggerated. It adds to the “story” of a winning premiership team I guess.

Heading into the Grand Final in 2019 our players were primed. Funnily enough, the injuries to a few players probably gave them a much needed rest throughout a long season, but by the time the Grand Final came around, they were in fantastic shape.

Heading into the Preliminary Final last year, Dusty could barely walk, Astbury was hospitalised with a stomach bug in the days leading up to the game (an ex player has since confirmed other players were affected), Lambert, Prestia and Cotchin had all missed games recently (I recall Lambert having syndesmosis surgery in the bye week, while others had clean outs).

Even though we had less available players in 2019, we didn’t carry anyone who was not 100% into the Grand Final. That was the difference.

You also never had a long injury list in 2018, but at times you missed a couple of key players which is common. I recall your form understandably dropping off throughout this period. That’s why I raised my concern about it heading into this year. I don’t think your depth is good enough should your list become properly decimated.

A lot is said about how you went on to win the flag whilst missing Gaff, Nic Nat and Sheppard, but little is said about how Collingwood were missing Moore, Elliot, Dunn, Wells, Scharenberg, etc. Goldsack also played after tearing his ACL in that same year and they had no genuine key position defenders. Collingwood copped it worse and it’s actually really strange how their injuries have been downplayed while yours were exaggerated. It adds to the “story” of a winning premiership team I guess.
Our depth was tested throughout 2018 and we finished top 2 then won the flag. Our depth is fine, don’t worry about it

Why do you keep thinking you’re some kind of genius for discovering my Bay threads? The sole purpose of that thread is banter and as I pointed out in my post above, I enjoy taking the piss out of your excuses. I’m not exactly discreet about it.

I said your midfield isn’t on the same level as Richmond, GWS and Bulldogs’ midfields and I stand by that call. I also don’t care how “seriously” WCE fans take my opinion. The majority of WCE fans on here can’t engage in a mature discussion without imploding and hurling insults. You’re a prime example.

Did you read my post carefully? It’s 2020 now and I said last year (2019) you had a great run with injuries. You couldn’t finish in the top four despite sharing the biggest home grand advantage with Geelong, so forgive me for being skeptical about your premiership chances.

You’re overrating your depth. It’s bottom four.

Even your own supporters think your spouting crap. Your views are so deeply biased with obvious blind spots to everyone except you that it cant even be debated with.

keep trolling, troll. Let's see how long until this account is banned too.

Last edited:
Even your own supporters think your spouting crap. Your views are so deeply biased with obvious blind spots to everyone except you that it cant even be debated with.

keep trolling, troll. Let's see how long until this account is banned too.
But what have I possibly got to be biased about? The fact that YOU support WCE is comprising YOUR judgment. Naturally you’re going to talk them up. That makes me the only impartial one in this discussion.

But what have I possibly got to be biased about? The fact that YOU support WCE is comprising YOUR judgment. Naturally you’re going to talk them up. That makes me the only impartial one in this discussion.

Gaff, Shuey, Yeo, Kelly, Redden, Sheed is an elite midfield in any ones eyes. I'm not even saying they are the best (which many are, and statistically on paper they are) but are on par with anyone else. No one can say that they aren't elite without having some kind of bias. Gaff is AA, Kelly is AA, Yeo is AA, Shuey a norm smith medalist. Notice a pattern here?

West Coast covered the losses of b22 players such as Naitanui, Kennedy, Darling, Gaff, Sheppard and Jetta for extended periods in 2018 through their depth. They also debuted a equal most number of players league wide (8)
LOL. Darling played 21 games. Sheppard played 23 games. Jetta played 20 games. Where are these “extended periods” exactly?

You also lost a lot of games when Kennedy wasn’t playing so hardly a pass mark for your depth. He still notched up 14 games btw. Missed some small patches here and there. Pretty standard for a 30+ year old key forward I would’ve thought.

So basically Nic Nat and Gaff. Two players. Wow, how did you guys manage to overcome such adversity?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaff, Shuey, Yeo, Kelly, Redden, Sheed is an elite midfield in any ones eyes.
It’s elite when it’s in the top echelon of midfields. Richmond, Bulldogs and GWS’s midfields are better than WCE’s and you could make a case for either of those midfields being the best. West Coast’s is just below those three and on par with Brisbane and Collingwood’s. It’s a very good midfield, just not quite elite.

LOL. Darling played 21 games. Sheppard played 23 games. Jetta played 20 games. Where are these “extended periods” exactly?

You also lost a lot of games when Kennedy wasn’t playing so hardly a pass mark for your depth. He still notched up 14 games btw. Missed some small patches here and there. Pretty standard for a 30+ year old key forward I would’ve thought.

So basically Nic Nat and Gaff. Two players. Wow, how did you guys manage to overcome such adversity?
We played 25 games in 2018. So I’d say missing a month of football during any season qualifies as an extended period. Sheppard missed an entire finals series. Those were just a handful of players off the top of my head. Could you tally up the games played by McGovern, Ryan, Cripps, Hurn and Shuey too please? You could be onto something big here

We played 25 games in 2018. So I’d say missing a month of football during any season qualifies as an extended period. Sheppard missed an entire finals series. Those were just a handful of players off the top of my head. Could you tally up the games played by McGovern, Ryan, Cripps, Hurn and Shuey too please? You could be onto something big here
Lol you’re clutching at straws big time here.

McGovern - 24
Ryan - 13
Cripps - 25
Hurn - 25
Shuey - 20

Did Gov miss an extended run too with that string of one game?

Lol you’re clutching at straws big time here.

McGovern - 24
Ryan - 13
Cripps - 25
Hurn - 25
Shuey - 20

Did Gov miss an extended run too with that string of one game?
What about Barrass, Yeo, Redden ?
This is fascinating

It’s elite when it’s in the top echelon of midfields. Richmond, Bulldogs and GWS’s midfields are better than WCE’s and you could make a case for either of those midfields being the best. West Coast’s is just below those three and on par with Brisbane and Collingwood’s. It’s a very good midfield, just not quite elite.
That is a premature statement Tenny. 2020 is yet to play out so statements like that have to be revisited maybe 10 games in?

That is a premature statement Tenny. 2020 is yet to play out so statements like that have to be revisited maybe 10 games in?
I’m just talking on paper here. But yes, it would be worth revisiting this discussion.

I think Barass missed a couple of games because he sat down on a flight for a couple of hours one time.
Thanks for your continued concern with everything West Coast but stop worrying, our depth is just fine - as proven in 2018, with so many b22 players missing games and debuting 8 kids on our way to winning the lot

Who in Richmond’s midfield are elite besides Martin? Cotchin is slowing badly and the rest are just role players. You also only have very average rucks

Collingwood, West Coast, GWS and bulldogs are the cream imo

Brisbane and Richmond a rung below

Last edited:
Who in Richmond’s midfield are elite besides Martin? Cotchin is slowing badly and the rest are just role players. You also only have very average rucks

Collingwood, West Coast, GWS and bulldogs are the cream imo

Brisbane and Richmond a rung below
Our best and fairest winner goes alright. Rated the ninth best player in the comp at the end of the season by an impartial judge.

Cotchin is slowing down? News to me. Was arguably our best finals player. Lifted in big moments against Brisbane and Geelong. If Cotchin is slowing down at 30, I’m genuinely worried for Josh Kennedy.

Shane Edwards is also a star. He’s a top five player at Richmond these days. Another top 25 player in the comp.

Our starting three >>>> your starting three.

Martin, Cotchin & Prestia have 6 premierships, 2 Brownlows, 2 Norm Smiths, 2 AFLCAs, 4 AAs & 6 B&Fs.

Yeo, Kelly & Shuey have 2 premierships, 0 Brownlows, 1 Norm Smith, 0 AFLCAs, 3 AAs & 4 B&Fs.

Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Caddy, Lambert and Pickett with guys like Graham, Stack, Ross and Bolton emerging. Our top end is better and our midfield runs deeper. It also has more upside.

Your ruckman is better. That’s it. Except he can’t stay on the park unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back