List Mgmt. OOC 2021, who is playing for their careers 2021 edition?

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
OOC 2021 >

2021:

Marcus Adams
Grant Birchall (R)
Tom Fullarton
Rhys Mathieson (R)
Archie Smith (R)
Connor Ballenden (R)
Thomas Joyce
James Madden (R)
Mitch Robinson
Brock Smith
Keidean Coleman
Kalin Lane(R)

Nearly half our list(20 players) OOC in 2021, not as bad as it looks though, 11 of those are certain to be offered an extension... unless one of the older players ie. Rich/Zorko suffers a serious long term injury + Grant Birchall certain to retire IMO, Mitch Robinson has been battering his body for over a decade, expecting him to be passed by younger players and also retire at end of 2021. IMO Carter Michael will get another year come what may.

Safe- Keidean Coleman, Dayne Zorko, Tom Fullarton, Jarryd Lyons, Oscar McInerney, Lincoln McCarthy, Brandon Starcevich, Zac Bailey, Hugh McCluggage, Daniel Rich.

Gone barring a huge turnaround in form- Connor Ballenden, Archie Smith, Rhys Mathieson.

Need to show some good signs(reserves or seniors) or will be under the pump- Brock Smith, James Madden, Tom Joyce, Connor McFadyen.

Last edited:
OOC 2021 >

Grant Birchall (R)
Daniel Rich
Hugh McCluggage
Zac Bailey
Brandon Starcevich
Lincoln McCarthy
Oscar McInerney
Jarryd Lyons
Tom Fullarton
Connor McFadyen
Rhys Mathieson (R)
Archie Smith (R)
Dayne Zorko
Connor Ballenden (R)
Thomas Joyce
James Madden (R)
Mitch Robinson
Jack Payne
Brock Smith
Keidean Coleman
Carter Michael

Nearly half our list(21 players) OOC in 2021, not as bad as it looks though, 11 of those are certain to be offered an extension... unless one of the older players ie. Rich/Zorko suffers a serious long term injury + Grant Birchall certain to retire IMO, Mitch Robinson has been battering his body for over a decade, expecting him to be passed by younger players and also retire at end of 2021. IMO Carter Michael will get another year come what may.

Safe- Keidean Coleman, Jack Payne, Dayne Zorko, Tom Fullarton, Jarryd Lyons, Oscar McInerney, Lincoln McCarthy, Brandon Starcevich, Zac Bailey, Hugh McCluggage, Daniel Rich.

Gone barring a huge turnaround in form- Connor Ballenden, Archie Smith, Rhys Mathieson.

Need to show some good signs(reserves or seniors) or will be under the pump- Brock Smith, James Madden, Tom Joyce, Connor McFadyen.
A couple of points:

Was Carter Michael not signed for two years?

Of that list, there are four key signings that the club must get: McCluggage, Bailey, Payne and Starcevich;

I would expect the following players to have their contracts extended: Rich, McCarthy, Zorko, Lyons, K. Coleman and McInerney;

Will be gone or downgraded to rookie status unless they demonstrate something in 2021: McFadyen, B. Smith, Joyce and Fullarton; and

My certain departures at the end of 2021: Robinson and Birchall (retired), Mathieson, Ballenden, A. Smith (traded or delisted), Madden (has to be upgraded at the end of 21, but I doubt he'll make it).

A couple of points:

Was Carter Michael not signed for two years?

Of that list, there are four key signings that the club must get: McCluggage, Bailey, Payne and Starcevich;

I would expect the following players to have their contracts extended: Rich, McCarthy, Zorko, Lyons, K. Coleman and McInerney;

Will be gone or downgraded to rookie status unless they demonstrate something in 2021: McFadyen, B. Smith, Joyce and Fullarton; and

My certain departures at the end of 2021: Robinson and Birchall (retired), Mathieson, Ballenden, A. Smith (traded or delisted), Madden (has to be upgraded at the end of 21, but I doubt he'll make it).
I got those OOC dates from our own roster watch- player contract status thread which is usually right up to date so I'm assuming Carter Michael only got 1 year.

OOC 2021 >

Grant Birchall (R)
Daniel Rich
Hugh McCluggage
Zac Bailey
Brandon Starcevich
Lincoln McCarthy
Oscar McInerney
Jarryd Lyons
Tom Fullarton
Connor McFadyen
Rhys Mathieson (R)
Archie Smith (R)
Dayne Zorko
Connor Ballenden (R)
Thomas Joyce
James Madden (R)
Mitch Robinson
Jack Payne
Brock Smith
Keidean Coleman
Carter Michael

Nearly half our list(21 players) OOC in 2021, not as bad as it looks though, 11 of those are certain to be offered an extension... unless one of the older players ie. Rich/Zorko suffers a serious long term injury + Grant Birchall certain to retire IMO, Mitch Robinson has been battering his body for over a decade, expecting him to be passed by younger players and also retire at end of 2021. IMO Carter Michael will get another year come what may.

Safe- Keidean Coleman, Jack Payne, Dayne Zorko, Tom Fullarton, Jarryd Lyons, Oscar McInerney, Lincoln McCarthy, Brandon Starcevich, Zac Bailey, Hugh McCluggage, Daniel Rich.

Pretty sure I read sometime ago on Lions webpage that payne, contracted until at least 2022. Think payne could seek opportunities elsewhere depending on how 2021 pans out. Would expect Fullerton to be extended as upgraded from Cat B rookie list, but likely he will consider the signing of Daniher. Agree with your assessment who is safe, but think Joyce is also safe.
Think the likes of Bailey, Starc will
I got those OOC dates from our own roster watch- player contract status thread which is usually right up to date so I'm assuming Carter Michael only got 1 year.
Pretty confident last year when Lions announced Mitch Robbo and Payne resigned that Payne is contracted until 2022, according to Lions webpage

OOC 2021 >

Grant Birchall (R)
Daniel Rich
Hugh McCluggage
Zac Bailey
Brandon Starcevich
Lincoln McCarthy
Oscar McInerney
Jarryd Lyons
Tom Fullarton
Connor McFadyen
Rhys Mathieson (R)
Archie Smith (R)
Dayne Zorko
Connor Ballenden (R)
Thomas Joyce
James Madden (R)
Mitch Robinson
Jack Payne
Brock Smith
Keidean Coleman
Carter Michael

We tend to give our draftees four years minimum to show something. I reckon Brock Smith will be pretty safe.

McFaadyen did his ACL ain June 2020. I can see the club moving him to the rookie list for a minimum of two years before making a call on him.

Honestly, I won’t be surprised if it’s just the rookie contracted players (minus Madden) and MRobbo going. Unless a fringe player moves for more/better opportunities.

Was Carter Michael not signed for two years
Rookies only get a year by default unless they are Irish or there's an announcement to the contrary.

Pretty sure I read sometime ago on Lions webpage that payne, contracted until at least 2022.
If you can dig that up it'd be great. While I do prize myself on keeping the thread up to date sometimes I do miss an occasional re-signing.

If you can dig that up it'd be great. While I do prize myself on keeping the thread up to date sometimes I do miss an occasional re-signing.
That's understandable. I just double checked, and found the Lions post on their webpage with a photo of Mitch and Payne from last year, the article mostly on Mitch being the established player, but does mention Payne at club until 2022.

Re-reading the article I remembered checking it when I updated Mitch, but I misread it as Payne only signing to 2021 too because it wasn't called out as different until after I'd stopped reading in depth.

I don't agree with Smith, A being delisted at the end of the year, sure he will never be an AFL star but he is solid depth who has been in the system for a number of years. If McInerny goes down then we are relying on H. Smith (someone who would have been in the system for only 1 year(after next completed year) which isnt a good idea. At least Smith can nullify and provide a contest. I would resign fo 1 more year at least just until Smith grows up a bit more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say Linc is safe either. He'll be 28 at the end of next year and he has to be more than a C grade small forward to keep his spot in the best 22 at that age.

I wouldn't say Linc is safe either. He'll be 28 at the end of next year and he has to be more than a C grade small forward to keep his spot in the best 22 at that age.
I think he is probably rated higher than a "C" forward internally. I think he does lots of little things that often go unnoticed on TV.

I think he is probably rated higher than a "C" forward internally. I think he does lots of little things that often go unnoticed on TV.

Sure but at some point you say do I want a 28 year old that does the small things or do I want to put games into a Coleman who can develop into someone capable of doing the small things plus a lot more.

wouldnt say Fullerton is safe. Probably will be offered an extension but needs to work on his game a bit. I'm critical of him as I see a future. Just needs to work harder and he will be given chances. Payne continues to develop his lockdown ability he will replace Andrews as the KPD that plays on best KPF. This will allow Andrews to play with more freedom and be the best intercept defender in the game.

problem is we cannot keep them all and draft. Sorry to say Matho and Birchall the only ones you think be in trouble.
If Birchall gets back to pre injury form then who knows if go around 2022. I do not think he useless like some here.
So someone has to go.. There is a chance we just push the first rounder to 2022 :)
If we need 4 spots if list size remain small you think be from Archie, Ballenden, McFadyen, Madden, Joyce or B Smith

I agree with Archie.. If he goes with Ballenden and we have the new kid and Fullarton only be a worry.
He might get another year or we go with a mature guy to replace.

Edit with Linc he does a lot of things around the forward line and takes a great mark.
Not sure Kiddy replace him.. Maybe Blake in a few years. 28 not that old when you not played for years the body be ok.

Last edited:
wouldnt say Fullerton is safe. Probably will be offered an extension but needs to work on his game a bit. I'm critical of him as I see a future. Just needs to work harder and he will be given chances. Payne continues to develop his lockdown ability he will replace Andrews as the KPD that plays on best KPF. This will allow Andrews to play with more freedom and be the best intercept defender in the game.

Fullarton is safe.

I think he is better than that...he is an excellent tackler, provides some X factor around the ball and a good mark and very reliable kick around goal. I really like what he has brought to the Lions and I am not surprised why Geelong were sorry to see him go. He hasn't played a lot of footy due to injuries and has done remarkably well considering.

I honestly don’t think this is a problem.

I think he is better than that...he is an excellent tackler, provides some X factor around the ball and a good mark and very reliable kick around goal. I really like what he has brought to the Lions and I am not surprised why Geelong were sorry to see him go. He hasn't played a lot of footy due to injuries and has done remarkably well considering.

I was also under the impression that Linc was more than capable of rotating through the middle? He has a big, mature body and offers more than CEY (though I think CEY gets into good positions up forward, he just doesn't finish). Linc can fly, hit hard and kick true. Most importantly he isn't a one trick pony, which Fagan seems to favor. I think he's safe, for now.

Linc doesn’t have to be best 22 to stay on the list. There’s a role for him at least till he’s 30, provided his speed and athleticism remain.

Blake Coleman is the natural replacement for Linc, and he won’t be ready for a year or two.

problem is we cannot keep them all and draft. Sorry to say Matho and Birchall the only ones you think be in trouble.
If Birchall gets back to pre injury form then who knows if go around 2022. I do not think he useless like some here.
So someone has to go.. There is a chance we just push the first rounder to 2022 :)
That is 4 spots only if list size remain small you think be from Archie, Ballenden, McFadyen, Madden, Joyce or B Smith

I agree with Archie.. If he goes with Ballenden and we have the new kid and Fullarton only be a worry.
He might get another year or we go with a mature guy to replace.

Edit with Linc he does a lot of things around the forward line and takes a great mark.
Not sure Kiddy replace him.. Maybe Blake in a few years. 28 not that old when you not played for years the body be ok.
We don’t want to push a first round pick in to 2022, as we risk losing it if we have to match a high bid on Will Ashcroft.
I was also under the impression that Linc was more than capable of rotating through the middle? He has a big, mature body and offers more than CEY (though I think CEY gets into good positions up forward, he just doesn't finish). Linc can fly, hit hard and kick true. Most importantly he isn't a one trick pony, which Fagan seems to favor. I think he's safe, for now.
I wouldn’t say Linc’s a big body at ~178cm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back