List Mgmt. OOC 2021, who is playing for their careers 2021 edition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, IMO he's almost certain to get another year.
Completely agree. I'm amazed at the number of people suggesting he's a delisting threat. 3rd year KPP. Has shown plenty, and even contributed at the top level. Really not bad for someone whose development only properly started 3 years ago.

I keep circling back to matho. He’s doing well atm, not out of place on our team. We need to retain depth.

We value players both on and off the field, and his off field game is one of best.

will be stunned if he isn’t offered another contract, less so if he turns it down and goes somewhere else for opportunity to play like his good mate Benny keays.

please - this isn’t meant to invigorate the great Keays debate. There are teams that matho would be a clear top 22. Game day bonuses alone would make it tempting.

on that, subs would have to get the full match payment wouldn’t they?

I keep circling back to matho. He’s doing well atm, not out of place on our team. We need to retain depth.

We value players both on and off the field, and his off field game is one of best.

will be stunned if he isn’t offered another contract, less so if he turns it down and goes somewhere else for opportunity to play like his good mate Benny keays.

please - this isn’t meant to invigorate the great Keays debate. There are teams that matho would be a clear top 22. Game day bonuses alone would make it tempting.

Wouldn't be surprised if we do a Cedric Cox with Matho... Tell him to seek a trade elsewhere, no guarantees if he doesn't.

He'd have more currency than Cox as well, so stands a chance. Depending on his relationship, someone like Nobes could see a lot of off-field benefit to him, plus he'd be better than a few of their on-ballers.

Will come down to list spots again..

2021:
Grant Birchall (R)
Lincoln McCarthy
Jarryd Lyons (or 2022, with trigger in 2021?)
Tom Fullarton
Connor McFadyen
Rhys Mathieson (R)
Archie Smith (R)
Connor Ballenden (R)
Thomas Joyce
James Madden (R)
Mitch Robinson
Brock Smith
Keidean Coleman
Carter Michael
Add Kalin Lane now which you be surprised if we did not keep next year

If we need 4 spots 3 plus you assume Madden upgrade.
you say these are most at risk in no order if Brichall/M Robbo go around again. Someone be unlucky

Connor McFadyen
Rhys Mathieson (R)
Archie Smith (R)
Connor Ballenden (R)
Thomas Joyce
Brock Smith
Carter Michael

I'd like us to retain Matho, although I agree with spotthedog1 , I think we'll give him a chance to look for a trade and more chance to play best 22 most weeks, if he is OK with staying with us as a depth player that'd be great also.

We have let plenty of great fellas go in search of a premiership squad since Fagan and co arrived eg, Alex Witherden, Josh Walker, Ben Keays, Nick Robertson, Sam Mayes, Lewy Taylor, Tom Cutler, Mitch Hinge, Stef Martin... letting any of these go isn't going to be a factor in costing us a premiership, I have great faith in Fagan and our list management team.

I won't be. We need to delist or trade out 3-4 players this year and many of those out of contract are either better than him or have more potential than him. He's unlucky that CEY got such a long contract. As it is I'd rather keep Joyce and see what he's got.

I won't be. We need to delist or trade out 3-4 players this year and many of those out of contract are either better than him or have more potential than him. He's unlucky that CEY got such a long contract. As it is I'd rather keep Joyce and see what he's got.
Would rather trade cey to the suns or pay out his contract than to lose Matho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve posted before that I wouldnt mind the club keeping Mattho on the list as a “break glass in emergency” big bodied midfielder. However as others have pointed out CEY is also in this category and he is contracted. I don’t see Mattho being that much better than CEY to make it worth the club spending money to keep Matho. (By paying out CEY’s contract)

Also have to consider that Matho got his chance when Neale, J Berry and Rayner were injured. I know Berry and Rayner are not direct replacements for Neale but they are guys that the club has been trying to get into the centre square rotations. And will be picked before Matho. Also have DevRobbo developing and ESmith still on contract.

Sorry Matho I think the cards are stacked against you.

The only downside to Mitch and Birch performing well this season is that they'll probably go around again next season, making it a tough decision on whom to axe. You'd figure Archie and Matho are both likely to go, maybe Ballenden too, with maybe Joyce, Brock Smith and McFadyen moved to the rookie list. My only concern with cutting Ballenden is the lack of key position depth. Maybe we draft a KPP with one of our first round picks then.
God I hope Birch does not go around again, I just don't think the role he performs is that significant to the team and I am confident in a number of the young guys to step up within a relatively short period of time to perform a role. That said, Fages seems to like Birch, but if he was picked over some of the young talent we have next year I would question the integrity of the selection. Mitch I believe deserves a further 1 year contract, but for me no to Birch.

Just out of interest, who are the 4 guys from the out of contract list you would get rid of before Matho?
I would get rid of Birchall, smith and Ballenden. I would try and get rid of CEY if it were possible and I would re sign matho, or at least rookie list him. He's proven this year that he's fantastic depth and we would be silly to get rid of him unless he wants to leave himself.

I would get rid of Birchall, smith and Ballenden. I would try and get rid of CEY if it were possible and I would re sign matho, or at least rookie list him. He's proven this year that he's fantastic depth and we would be silly to get rid of him unless he wants to leave himself.

3 rookies?

anyone heard if list sizes might increase? Probably not now with another lockdown
Although with VFL you think they might need a few more on list to cover any injuries.

Numbers wise we have to delist 4 players.

Doesn’t matter if they are senior list or rookie list.

We need a permanent rookie list spot for Kalin Lane. Or we delist him.

We need to make a minimum of two live selections at the end of year National Draft.

The third selection can be upgrading a rookie to the senior list.

As far as I’m aware James Madden is still a Cat B rookie. So moving him from the rookie list to the senior list doesn’t actually open up a rookie list spot, unless we have another Cat B player lined up.

Numbers wise we have to delist 4 players.

Doesn’t matter if they are senior list or rookie list.

We need a permanent rookie list spot for Kalin Lane. Or we delist him.

We need to make a minimum of two live selections at the end of year National Draft.

The third selection can be upgrading a rookie to the senior list.

As far as I’m aware James Madden is still a Cat B rookie. So moving him from the rookie list to the senior list doesn’t actually open up a rookie list spot, unless we have another Cat B player lined up.

Yeah it does nothing for us, and I think we will hit the point where he has to be upgraded (we can't keep getting exemptions for players as we did for Eagles).

Some tough decisisons to be made at the end of the year, but I guess that is far preferable to a few years ago where we had a bunch of obvious delistings to make, as well as the usual trade period exodus.

Yeah it does nothing for us, and I think we will hit the point where he has to be upgraded (we can't keep getting exemptions for players as we did for Eagles).

Some tough decisisons to be made at the end of the year, but I guess that is far preferable to a few years ago where we had a bunch of obvious delistings to make, as well as the usual trade period exodus.

Decision is tough but outcome should is easier as our 23-28 ranked players should be able to find a AFL homes, instead of going nowhere. Other club list sizes permitting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back