List Mgmt. OOC 2021, who is playing for their careers 2021 edition?

Remove this Banner Ad

We don’t want to push a first round pick in to 2022, as we risk losing it if we have to match a high bid on Will Ashcroft.
Yes more of a joke as we keep paying it forward :)
I do think if it was not for the reduction of list spots we might of used them this year.

I don't agree with Smith, A being delisted at the end of the year, sure he will never be an AFL star but he is solid depth who has been in the system for a number of years. If McInerny goes down then we are relying on H. Smith (someone who would have been in the system for only 1 year(after next completed year) which isnt a good idea. At least Smith can nullify and provide a contest. I would resign fo 1 more year at least just until Smith grows up a bit more.
We can sign another mature ruck. I agree we need a stopgap backup ruck, but Archie isn't the only one out there. There will be veterans out of contract and players who dominate the state leagues available.

We can sign another mature ruck. I agree we need a stopgap backup ruck, but Archie isn't the only one out there. There will be veterans out of contract and players who dominate the state leagues available.
We do have a full list for this year though.
Unless Connor McFadyen is still on the long term injury list for the mid season draft.

I don’t know too much about the elite academy stuff. But Will Ashcroft was not included in the 25 players. Was this expected? I understood him to be an elite talent.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t know too much about the elite academy stuff. But Will Ashcroft was not included in the 25 players. Was this expected? I understood him to be an elite talent.

2022 draft so won't be on that list yet.

Will is 2022 draft.

They’ve only named 21 players for the 2021 draft in the academy so far.

They’ve left spots open for players to be added during the preseason.

Yes more of a joke as we keep paying it forward :)
I do think if it was not for the reduction of list spots we might of used them this year.

We might trade out of 2022 and bring it forward to 2021, potentially adding 3 first rounders like a mini-refresh.

It'll be nice to get 3 bites within the first 20 picks, worked out well for Port recently.

Linc doesn’t have to be best 22 to stay on the list. There’s a role for him at least till he’s 30, provided his speed and athleticism remain.

Blake Coleman is the natural replacement for Linc, and he won’t be ready for a year or two.

We don’t want to push a first round pick in to 2022, as we risk losing it if we have to match a high bid on Will Ashcroft.

I wouldn’t say Linc’s a big body at ~178cm.

Yes true though at a similar height to Zorko but 6kg heavier he is big, for a little body :tonguewink:

let’s hope Ashcroft doesn’t do a Murphy . Not sure where he is ranked atm potentially a top 5 pick ? Somehow may be able to shed a bit more insight . We haven’t really reaped the benefits from a absolute gun academy player or father son yet . Obviously Andrews and hipwood but they weren’t rated at real pointy end of draft will be interesting to see where Ashcroft is rated .

We might trade out of 2022 and bring it forward to 2021, potentially adding 3 first rounders like a mini-refresh.

It'll be nice to get 3 bites within the first 20 picks, worked out well for Port recently.

it would not shock me if we tried to work out a package for a star player with the two picks next year and one the year after. Bringing in someone who could immediately impact would be great for a team in the window.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you think would be worth that haul? Oliver?

I am not sure who would be on the market but players I would enquire about would be guys like Taranto, Billings, Heeney, Bailey Smith.

The problem with the idea though is we would have to pay them superstar money and that could be a killer.

I am not sure who would be on the market but players I would enquire about would be guys like Taranto, Billings, Heeney, Bailey Smith.

The problem with the idea though is we would have to pay them superstar money and that could be a killer.
Billings isn't worth that much, I'm not sure Heeney is either. Smith won't leave Victoria, especially while he's on a team contending for a flag.

it would not shock me if we tried to work out a package for a star player with the two picks next year and one the year after. Bringing in someone who could immediately impact would be great for a team in the window.

If we had to offload Witherden for salary cap reasons and with a few young guns OOC deserving a pay rise I can’t see us having the cap space unless we offloaded someone.

If we had to offload Witherden for salary cap reasons and with a few young guns OOC deserving a pay rise I can’t see us having the cap space unless we offloaded someone.
We've got a couple of the older guys coming out of contract that would've been on quite good money I'd imagine as well

Unless we were off loading him to make space for someone we have in mind.

yeah my thinking as well. We had a "war chest'' an while Daniher probably took up a fair chunk of it, Witherden and releasing some of the other blokes on lesser coin probably off set Daniher salary. Won't be surprised if we make some big calls end of season and trade a player or two out to help bring in a star mid.

Unless we were off loading him to make space for someone we have in mind.

When it happened I thought it was probably mostly about list spots. With the reduction in list sizes and the number of guys we already had contracted we were in a difficult spot to take the guys we wanted in the draft and resign guys like Lester who had stepped up this year. Witherden did not get much of a chance this year and was looking to move. He was probably seen as a depth player at the moment with other guys coming up behind him and therefore a cut that could be made. So we let him go to clear up a spot. Any salary saving I thought was likely to be incidental.

When it happened I thought it was probably mostly about list spots. With the reduction in list sizes and the number of guys we already had contracted we were in a difficult spot to take the guys we wanted in the draft and resign guys like Lester who had stepped up this year. Witherden did not get much of a chance this year and was looking to move. He was probably seen as a depth player at the moment with other guys coming up behind him and therefore a cut that could be made. So we let him go to clear up a spot. Any salary saving I thought was likely to be incidental.

Because of the ability to rollover cap space, any savings from a presumably relatively well compensated player leaving can effectively result in a double dip - we wouldn't have eaten up his cap space this year because we already had Daniher and Cockatoo planned, but it can give us an extra $600k-700k in 2021 to go "shopping" (using the frequently speculated totals of $400k per year here and us paying up to $100k of his West Coast contract).

I just find it hard to imagine letting Witherden go to prioritize bringing in guys with picks beyond 40 in the draft.

I just find it hard to imagine letting Witherden go to prioritize bringing in guys with picks beyond 40 in the draft.

We were expecting/hoping Hinge would take one of those spots

And we were probably hoping Coleman would be a late bid

I always thought it was a trade with an eye on the future, not this year. Opens up potential cap space and a list spot next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back