List Mgmt. OOC 2021, who is playing for their careers 2021 edition?

Remove this Banner Ad

I say English is where Oscar was a few years ago.
Handy for a goal a game, handy bringing the ball down and does ok in the ruck.
I actually feel he be a better forward long term then ruck

not all rucks are forwards some are better ruck and handy forwards
If you add the other two young star rucks running around.
Draper looks better ruck then forward long term.
Jackson young again seems good at both.

Matho is getting to that age where he has to show something impressive or be told to look elsewhere. 22% kicking efficiency from someone entering his prime isn't good enough for a team that wants to win finals.
So many blind kicks when had time to take 2-3 more steps. Just not up to it. Also a strange pick for sub as he only has one position, inside mid. Dev Roberston more versatile, much more upside.
Hard to know who to delist out of the fringe given lack of ressies, so there is an orange list if you like of delists.
GONE
B Smith
Birchall

PROBABLY GONE
Joyce
Ballenden
A Smith

ONE MORE YEAR?
E Smith
McFadyen

DO SOMETHING SOMEHOW TO MOVE ON
Ellis-Yolmen

The list is a decent one. Forward line has enough talent of smalls and talls. Backline ditto - we will look so much better with a fit Harris and Gardiner, and the pace change by having Coleman in for Birchall will make a difference.

A gun ruck would be great, but if i were building a list i'm not sure i'd spend the money on it - just look at Grundy. There is a bit of a balance issue with the midfield - it can get dominated too easily. Dev Robertson took some great steps this year. 3rd year next year should be ready to deliver. Berry we will see, but if he can get back to full fitness could be a massive bonus. Rayner well we'll see, could also be a massive in. Looking at Neale on the weekend, you realise what we missed this year. One of about 3 games he has played in which he didn't look injured. Zorko will likely drop off soon but he is the only player you'd be worried about in terms of age.

The 8 players above I would lose no sleep if we lost them all - that's a bit more dead wood than you want, but not disastrous levels. I do hope we move on at least 5-6 this year as the dead wood could pile up a bit too high next year otherwise.

It's for another conversation, but i think taking the next step is about re-jigging the game plan, being able to chop and change more. A senior assistant coach who is well steeped in game plans would be the best recruit we could get this off season.

Robinson? Doesn’t fit for me - it’s no use just bombing it, if Mathieson goes so does he for mine

I'm not sure its even his bombing for me (which he does far too often) - i feel we need some change in that area of the ground..... Robbo has been great but im looking forward to what evolves over this preseason in that role and if Robbo is still the one then I'm ok with that too but i want to see who wants it.

He is 24 years old. Played 66 games and can take a contested mark and is a relatively good kick for goal. I just think he has potential to be a good player once he gets past 25-26 years old.
Could Fullarton be a slightly worse at everything version of Tim English?

Time for some tough calls next week. This list won't take us to a flag, period. In order to give some of those players a chance of getting a flag (won't be Zorko, Birch and other 30+ year olds), see if we can trade out some contracted players with currency. Obvious outs are BSmith, Birchall, Fullarton, Mathieson, Madden and ASmith and try to trade Ely out for anything we can get if someone will take him.

Club has already said they'll be quiet during the trade period, and they'll be using their draft picks to bring in young players. From Greg Swan interview on the Roar Deal a couple of weeks ago.

Don't think poor games at the end of the season without some of our most important players are going to get them to completely change their plans.

Could Fullarton be a slightly worse at everything version of Tim English?
Would luv to have English but I think he wants to ruck majority of the time but Big O is number 1 for the time being. CHNL 9 thinks he may consider offers.

Four spots should be enough for what we need IMO. I'd cut loose Matho, Archie, Ballenden and advise Birchall that it'd be a good time to retire. In reality though, I suspect the coaching staff will want to keep Birchall, so maybe Brock Smith goes instead. Brock has been pretty unimpressive so far, but he's not even 21 yet so I'd prefer to give him one more chance.

Four spots should be enough for what we need IMO. I'd cut loose Matho, Archie, Ballenden and advise Birchall that it'd be a good time to retire. In reality though, I suspect the coaching staff will want to keep Birchall, so maybe Brock Smith goes instead. Brock has been pretty unimpressive so far, but he's not even 21 yet so I'd prefer to give him one more chance.
Are you thinking 3 drafted players and 1 trade in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Brisbane, Rhys Mathieson’s management and the club have opened talks on a new deal

Don’t mind him hanging around. Not sure about the 2 years though. Probably doesn’t put to bed any of those “Lachie rumours” as well.

Wow, surprised at two years. Thought he'd have one on the table for sure but would need to move for longer. We need the depth but would really like to see him work on his kicking and get the dump kick out of his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back