List Mgmt. OOC 2021, who is playing for their careers 2021 edition?

Remove this Banner Ad

So what did go wrong with Ballenden? I also remember at one stage he was in discussions as a number 1 pick and even early/mid-draft season he was still considered a potential late first rounder. Given he is a ruck/KPP or vice verse and they always take a while to develop and given he obviously did well this season, is this a mistake to let him go? Is he really any worse than Fullerton? Which one has more upside? Could he have done Fort’s role if given the chance?

These are genuine questions because it seems quite a fall for someone so highly touted early.
Possibly more about timing with his development. I believe Fullarton is ahead of him and we had an immediate need with Hippy out for a while that Ballendean was not seen as filling in the immediate term and Fort can in the clubs eyes. The fact that he has been offered a spot on the VFL list shows that it was a line ball decision and they still have some faith in him developing further.

Disappointed. Tom is a good player and to me Connor is really on the improve.

It is what it is.

We didn't have a lot of choice.
No we didn't, but could we have kept Ballenden on the rookie list or even put Lester on the rookie list. Lester has one year left on a contract and I don't believe he is best 22. Securing Forte and probably upgrading Fullerton sealed Ballendens fate.

i reckon connor's position is backline , never going to be a ruck , he was sacrificed in the seniors rucking , may have gone ok up forward but never got the gig
hell of a waste letting go a fella of his size just as he was bearing fruit

It certainly seems we are all mixed on it and I imagine the club was as well then. I hope he stays around because I can genuinely see him being bought back in in a year or two if he keeps on improving as he has been.

Ballenden is no Cain Tickner

Our academy players always get overrated when they show something at under 16 level

Unlike Cain (who I was all in on) I was always a bit concerned about Ballenden. With that said watching him this year I thought he had finally found his position and was disappointed to see him delisted when I finally thought he had a chance to make it.

I have a solution.

Trade 14 and 18 to St Kilda for 9 and their future second and third round picks.

Upgrade Mathieson to the senior list (he’s contracted for 2 years on the rookie list).

Draft the best available mid at 9, the best available hbf’er or Leek Aleer at 41, take pick 54 to the draft as our 3rd pick and trade it on draft night for a future pick, and redraft Ballenden in the rookie draft.

I have a solution.

Trade 14 and 18 to St Kilda for 9 and their future second and third round picks.

Upgrade Mathieson to the senior list (he’s contracted for 2 years on the rookie list).

Draft the best available mid at 9, the best available hbf’er or Leek Aleer at 41, and redraft Ballenden in the rookie draft.

I'd do that in a heartbeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Ballenden ever going to get a clear run of games behind Andrews, Gardiner, Adams, Payne and Lester?

If Oscar, Fort, Daniher and Hipwood are all fit we could see McStay down back as well

Is Ballenden ever going to get a clear run of games behind Andrews, Gardiner, Adams, Payne and Lester?

If Oscar, Fort, Daniher and Hipwood are all fit we could see McStay down back as well
Depends on how much improvement he has left in him, and injuries to best 22 players.

Draft the best available mid at 9, the best available hbf’er or Leek Aleer at 41, take pick 54 to the draft as our 3rd pick and trade it on draft night for a future pick, and redraft Ballenden in the rookie draft.
Personally I feel like this is overthinking it a bit, what are the chances Ballenden becomes a genuine AFL player week to week? I’d have the odds against him unfortunately. I think we have a really good opportunity to take two talented kids this year with the bonus of having potentially another two first round talents next year. If we were able to say get 41 up into the late 20’s early 30’s I think we’re in a really good spot to get a good mid, KP and flanker at those picks.

Personally I feel like this is overthinking it a bit, what are the chances Ballenden becomes a genuine AFL player week to week? I’d have the odds against him unfortunately. I think we have a really good opportunity to take two talented kids this year with the bonus of having potentially another two first round talents next year. If we were able to say get 41 up into the late 20’s early 30’s I think we’re in a really good spot to get a good mid, KP and flanker at those picks.
I’ve been guilty here, but until Fletcher shows he can play significant minutes through the midfield, I wouldn’t be talking him up as a first round talent.

I’ve been guilty here, but until Fletcher shows he can play significant minutes through the midfield, I wouldn’t be talking him up as a first round talent.
Even if he spends all next year on a wing or either flank he still has the potential to be a first rounder talent. Either way Fletcher feels like a bonus with Ashcroft looking as good as he is and my point was more about this being a great opportunity to rejuvenate the list with genuine first round talent.

Nothing wrong with a genuine winger.
The game has sped up a bit with the introduction of the stand rule and other little tinkers so a more genuine winger could be quite valuable.
Sharp probably forecasts as a genuine winger with his endurance.

I have a solution.

Suppose things played out similarly to the BF Phantom Draft. Would you trade Amiss and Owens for Goater/Johnson and those future picks to fit Ballenden in?

Suppose things played out similarly to the BF Phantom Draft. Would you trade Amiss and Owens for Goater/Johnson and those future picks to fit Ballenden in?
Basically by doing that trade, I’d be wanting to push our 2022 first round pick in to 2023, rather than trading it for points as the Bulldogs have done with their first round pick this year.

So in effect, I’m pushing our pick 18 this year in to 2023.

Just by looking at this year’s finishing positions, those two second round picks and Saints third round pick totals ~1413 points. So 601 points off of matching a bid at pick 2.

Would I make the trade, definitely for Goater. Probably not for Johnson. Would I select Amiss, no.

I cant see Connor getting a lifeline from us. If you look at the past delistings, its rare for us to pick up a delisted player unless we declare it from the time the player is delisted. Our talls now are in a pretty good place now:

Backline Forward Line Rucks
Andrews Daniher McInerney
Payne McStay Fort
Gardner Hipwood Fullerton
Lane
Smith

There is also versatility with most of the above where they can play in more than 1 position if needed.

Sadly for Connor I cant see any value in bringing him back in as a rookie.

Sadly for Connor I cant see any value in bringing him back in as a rookie.
Especially if he stays on as a VFL top up.
I can’t see him getting a game as a defender unless there is an injury to one of our frontline defenders plus Payne and Lester are injured as well.
And same in the forward line with one of our front line forwards plus Fullarton, Fort and Lane all injured as well.
Highly unlikely he gets a game.

Especially if he stays on as a VFL top up.
I can’t see him getting a game as a defender unless there is an injury to one of our frontline defenders plus Payne and Lester are injured as well.
And same in the forward line with one of our front line forwards plus Fullarton, Fort and Lane all injured as well.
Highly unlikely he gets a game.
If he stays in as a vfl top up, he only plays in the vfl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back